UFC 232 Jones vs Gustafsson II

Sorry for the long breakdown/analysis.
No need to. Very good breakdown.

I want to advise people contemplating on betting Latifi to go and watch his fight with Pedro. You are not just going to give up betting on him, you might start thinking to bet Corey. :D First of all that win in retrospect was not good. We've seen the piss poor fight IQ of Tyson and just overall lack of technique almost everywhere. He is just a big athletic guy and that is pretty much all he got. Latifi didn't make him look that bad TBH. Latifi's takedowns weren't overly effective, mostly he controlled him on the fence and once Pedro gassed he was able to took him down easier. But Latifi's cardio was not very good either. I am not convinced that Latifi can defend the takedowns of Anderson, especially if he gasses. And this is just one aspects of Anderson's game. What about his striking, can Latifi win a striking battle for 3 rounds if he can't get the KO?

Lol weren't you all about Latifi from the get go? I've never seen someone flop around on analysis as much as you.

What is the way to defeat Ryan Hall? I think that you have to be agressieve and fast, overwhelming him with a lot of strikes, is BJ fast enough? I'm not sure, I see Hall putting a sub in this fight, but at the other side, BJ is a cage expert with so many fights that is hard to see him making the same mitake of Lobov and Maynard, that was not cutting distance and striking hard.
Good TDD and some striking. Hall takedowns are not that good and he had to rely on pulling guard against Maynard... his striking worked at long range (lol at his kicks) because anytime they got close he tried to pull guard.

Also I think some ugly lay and pray would work. Maynard lost that fight because he didnt want to go to the ground even on top position. You can nullify the best BJJ guard just by doing almost nothing.

Problem with BJ is that you dont know how far he has fallen... I mean, after the tippy toes debacle and getting rocked bad by 57 years old Dennis Siver I cant trust him at all.

Ewell is a stepping stone for Nathaniel Wood, he's gonna get smoked.

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/12/ufc-c...yborg-over-amanda-nunes-cardio-the-difference

UFC champ Valentina Shevchenko picks Cris Cyborg over Amanda Nunes: Huge cardio advantage

“Cris has an advantage in her endurance – a very huge advantage, because she’s training like a fanatic,” Shevchenko said. “And most important, she’s not tiring.

“In the morning, she runs marathons, and after marathons, she comes to training and does her work hitting pads and sparring. She doesn’t get tired. She has the power to move forward. So in this fight, I will support Cris.”

Cyborg recently told reporters she will make Nunes pay for delaying their superfight after the two camps tussled over scheduling.

Not surprisingly, Cyborg herself touts her cardio as her best advantage in the fight.

“I have five rounds,” she said. “I watched a couple fights of Amanda and I know she likes to do the pressure, but she don’t like when fighters put pressure on her. I’m the pressure. When she throws her best punch at me, I’m going to be the pressure. She’s going to feel that.”

I’d think there’s a bit of bias here because of shevs dislike for nunes.

She also has trained with cyborg

But I absolutely agree and also co-sign everything cyborg said about nunes

Please give me cyborg -200

Very disappointing performance for Anderson in her UFC debut. Still has big holes in her grappling, got controlled against the fence, got taken and held down and really didn't have an answer. Holly Holm has never out wrestled anyone and she took Anderson down 4 times and Anderson couldn't do a thing about it, not a good look.

But at striking range Anderson is always effective and she was winning the exchanges against Holm.

Zingano will most likely get TD's against Anderson if she wants them. But on the feet Zingano is in massive danger and she could get hurt and stopped at any time. I think Zingano needs to grind Anderson out for 3 rounds to win. Anderson is a BJJ purple belt and I think her defense is good enough to survive Zingano on the ground.

I'm sure Anderson is working hard to fix the holes in her game, she's the younger, bigger, more dangerous fighter in this match up.

Not sold on Zingano being back just because she beat a 40 year old school teacher with no TDD. Still lost 3 of her last 4, 36 years old, concussion problems.

Zingano is a much better grappler than Holm but she's not as powerful of an athlete. I can totally see Anderson hurting Zingano and Zingano not reacting well and looking for the door. I don't think Zingano is the athlete or competitor she once was. When Zingano fought Tate it looked like she was on roids, very different fighter from today.

Very disappointing performance for Anderson in her UFC debut. Still has big holes in her grappling, got controlled against the fence, got taken and held down and really didn't have an answer. Holly Holm has never out wrestled anyone and she took Anderson down 4 times and Anderson couldn't do a thing about it, not a good look.

But at striking range Anderson is always effective and she was winning the exchanges against Holm.

Zingano will most likely get TD's against Anderson if she wants them. But on the feet Zingano is in massive danger and she could get hurt and stopped at any time. I think Zingano needs to grind Anderson out for 3 rounds to win. Anderson is a BJJ purple belt and I think her defense is good enough to survive Zingano on the ground.

I'm sure Anderson is working hard to fix the holes in her game, she's the younger, bigger, more dangerous fighter in this match up.

Not sold on Zingano being back just because she beat a 40 year old school teacher with no TDD. Still lost 3 of her last 4, 36 years old, concussion problems.

Zingano is a much better grappler than Holm but she's not as powerful of an athlete. I can totally see Anderson hurting Zingano and Zingano not reacting well and looking for the door. I don't think Zingano is the athlete or competitor she once was. When Zingano fought Tate it looked like she was on roids, very different fighter from today.

Great breakdown IMO

This fight is a crapshoot of sorts imo. Could go so many different ways. No bet for me

Megan vs Cat is such a weird fight. But Megan awful off her back, Holly had 2 career takedowns before getting 4 vs Megan. And she even let her up in round 3, because all she had to do was just grab Megan's leg and she was going down.

Even if her takedown D improves, how much can it really improve in 6 months? As soon as Cat starts to get hurt with strikes she's grabbing Anderson, and probably taking her down and controlling her for the rest of the round.

Reneau had bad takedown D...but Anderson's seems just as bad and Cat took Reneau down at will.

Saw this on the UG, not sure how recent it is

zxrCdGV.jpg

Last edited:

zxrCdGV.jpg
Bones been looking extra slim and trim

Not concerned

Power has never been a part of his game

Last edited:
I just finished watching tape on Uriah Hall/Bevon Lewis. I don't have a bet on the fight yet, really close and I might pass but here are some takeaways for anyone betting the fight.

Bevon Lewis is a prospect out of Jackson Winklejohn, surprised no one mentioned this but he trains with Jon Jones and he has emulated his style after him since they have the same body type but Lewis fights at middleweight. Tall long orthodox fighter at 6'3" with a 79' inch reach. For a young fighter he paces himself well (he doesn't blow his cardio) and looks for opportunistic openings to finish fights.

He uses Jon Jones dirty side/push kick to the knee. He uses his long reach to hand fight to try and take away your hands. He goes low to set up the right head kick and in the clinch, he will look for the right elbow in the clinch and off breaks. All Jon Jones stuff.

At this stage in his career, his hands are better than Jones but not as strong, for a young fighter he knows how to win fights whether by stoppage or rounds.

Uriah Hall will be the same size as Lewis both 6'3' with a 79' inch reach. He might look bigger because of the muscular build.

Last two fights, Hall has kind of gone away from his unorthodox spinning attacks. He still uses it but he uses a long snapping jab and straight cross more now but not always together. You didn't see it as much in Jotko fight because he got rocked right away but he stopped Jotko with a straight right cross. In Costas fight, he used a beautiful long snapping jab but never finished with a straight right. Costas kind of mentally broke him after Costas kept eating his jab and coming forward.

If Lewis can contain Hall's jab (both have same reach) and Hall can't stop Lewis, Lewis is going to take a decision by making him work. Hall has a tendency to freeze with his back against the cage and gets hurt a lot there.

Sorry for the long breakdown/analysis.

I like Hall here, his last fight vs Paulo Costa he looked good befor he got ko. (Costa is a ped freak)

Hall gona keep distance and light up Lewis and circel out with out any problem

zxrCdGV.jpg

I'm not understand these pictures. His most recent Instagram pics look fine. Unless those pics are not recent

So you think that Wood is gonna win, how? I like their agressieve style, but lacking defense against a guy with 7" reach advantage and power is not a good thing.

People are making a mountain out of a molehill in regards to Zingano's mental state and how she fights because of it. She fights pretty much the same way every time and has some great wins (Pennington, Tate, Nunes) versus some not so bad losses (rousey, pena, viera) which are more recent granted, but that can happen when you're climbing the ladder. I would say if anything would be an issue, it's her going up to 145 versus a big 145er because she usually relies on her strength and physicality in there but after seeing Holm take her down and keep her down with ease, I think Cat has her way with her.

Anderson is a BJJ purple belt and I think her defense is good enough to survive Zingano on the ground.

I agree with almost everything you wrote, but this part I’m not so sure. Holm was able to move into high mount so easily against Megan. If Cat is able to get her down it’s hard to see her not being able to do the same. Especially if there’s time left in the round, I think Cat can do more with the position than Holm did.

So you think that Wood is gonna win, how? I like their agressieve style, but lacking defense against a guy with 7" reach advantage and power is not a good thing.
Yeah Wood has shown some suspect defense in a few of his fights and had his nose broken twice because of it. Wood is very tough though, good chin, battles through adversity well.

Offensively Wood is a beast, legit one punch KO power, impressive speed, high volume, combinations, calf kicks, submissions. Brad Pickett is Wood's head coach at Titan Fighters in North London, a gym with a lot of younger fighters in lower weight classes. Wood also spends a lot of time with his boxing coach Angel Fernandez, who trains several pro boxers including Issac Chamberlain. The way the UFC promote Wood tells me they're behind him and want him to succeed.

UFC have done nothing to promote Ewell, they brought him in to lose against Barao. Ewell is a 30 year old prospect with no fan base, beat nothing but bums on the regional. He's a long rangy southpaw striker, decent power, throws a nice long 1,2 and thats about it. His grappling is nothing to worry about, good conditioning, decent athlete.

Wood is more well rounded, he has more skills and techniques. Very athletic, pushes a fast pace. I just see Wood being the aggressor, outworking Ewell and possibly getting a stoppage. Even though Wood likes to strike, I think he'll have an advantage if he takes it to the mat.

If you follow Wood on IG you can see a lot of his training, been working a lot on his hands. UFC Connected also did a segment on Wood about his training with Pickett which I found interesting.

Ewell taking this on 4 weeks notice too.

Under's the spot in that one, undoubtedly. Wood's got that whole 'Complete defensive liability' thing going on, though. Got outclassed badly by Eduardo on the feet before pulling out an odd choke, and Wood got hurt by nobodies in CW a lot of the time.

Wood's probably the better fighter, but it's hard to trust his style against somebody with legitimate power and a reach advantage. I've got a huge Thomas Almeida vibe from Wood.

Back