• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Anime and Manga v40: Repeated Thread Necromancy Edition

Give Toriko a read if you like shounen. The last 7 volumes are extremely rushed, and you can even tell where the publisher or wtv started to rush the mangaka. Still, it's a good read. I love food so it's one of my favorites.

Give Toriko a read if you like shounen. The last 7 volumes are extremely rushed, and you can even tell where the publisher or wtv started to rush the mangaka. Still, it's a good read. I love food so it's one of my favorites.
I still haven't gotten around to finishing it. I gave up near the end when it was getting rushed and never went back to it. I think I'd only have a couple dozen chapters left to read, at most. It's too bad how it got the shaft.

I still haven't gotten around to finishing it. I gave up near the end when it was getting rushed and never went back to it. I think I'd only have a couple dozen chapters left to read, at most. It's too bad how it got the shaft.
Yeah it would have been great if it wasn’t cut. Would have loved to see Toriko and crew explore and battle in space.

I just started Goblin Slayer, Jesus that first episode is brutal. It's been a while since I've seen a scene in an anime that made the world feel so horrifying, dangerous, and unforgiving. The first half of season 1 in Sword Art Online had a real sense of dread, same as Attack on Titan at first, but this is another few levels.

_YPTuniqid_5bbfc3adb9fa58.82567766.jpg

This is the Darq Souls of anime, virtually Identical
jRR5Izw.gif

I’m a casual. And I’m old lol. But these threads got me surface scaratching. I only watch on Netflix. I loved attack on Titan. Knights of Sidonia. Just finished Sirius the Yeager and enjoyed it. Castlevania was cool. Watched the first episode of JoJos Bizzare adventures, will stick with it. What is a must watch? I’m not crazy about little kid main characters, and tend to like stuff like Attack on Titan.

I’m a casual. And I’m old lol. But these threads got me surface scaratching. I only watch on Netflix. I loved attack on Titan. Knights of Sidonia. Just finished Sirius the Yeager and enjoyed it. Castlevania was cool. Watched the first episode of JoJos Bizzare adventures, will stick with it. What is a must watch? I’m not crazy about little kid main characters, and tend to like stuff like Attack on Titan.
I think you’d like Claymore.

One punch man too. And stick with Jojo it only gets better.

- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
- Death Note
- Black Butler
- Fate/Zero series (there's like 4 or 5 of them)
- The Irregular at Magic High School
- Kakegurui
- Akame ga KILL!

If you like brutal more adult anime then Akame Ga Kill, Fate/Zero series and Fullmetal should be solid for you. Death Note is not bad (but that's an intellectual anime as opposed to action but highly recommended). Irregular at Magic High School is about high school kids but I recommend it (people die... kinda of a lot actually). Kakegurui is about gambling and it's awesome.

Gundam Iron Blodded Orphans is good. It does have some kids but adults run shit. There's a lot of kids because these kids were basically raised in war similar to what they do to kids in Africa. I miss Knights of Sidonia wish season 3 would hurry up.

I just started Goblin Slayer, Jesus that first episode is brutal. It's been a while since I've seen a scene in an anime that made the world feel so horrifying, dangerous, and unforgiving. The first half of season 1 in Sword Art Online had a real sense of dread, same as Attack on Titan at first, but this is another few levels.

_YPTuniqid_5bbfc3adb9fa58.82567766.jpg

This is the Darq Souls of anime, virtually Identical
jRR5Izw.gif

Yea I hated that. I can't stand watching rape like that it just bothers the shit out of me. I enjoyed the anime but yea fuck that first episode.

I'm new to anime
The doctor recommends Death Note, Code Geass, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Hunter X Hunter 2011 (or the older version), Yu Yu Hakashu, Hajime No Ippo (for sports/boxing).

Thanks guys, lots of great suggestions. Gonna start many suggestions. By the way, anyone see the Godzilla anime’s on Netflix?

Thanks guys, lots of great suggestions. Gonna start many suggestions. By the way, anyone see the Godzilla anime’s on Netflix?
I havent seen it but have seen some people say its garbage.

If youre on Netflix, I suggest Devilman Crybaby. Its absolutely balls to the wall in animation, over the top nature of it all, graphic sex scenes, and man towards the end it hits so damn hard emotionally. Best anime 2018 imo.

I wouldnt recommend it as a first anime. But definitely watch it at some point.

Check Attack on Titan as a one of the first one, its absolutely great.

I liked the first season enough (haven't seen the rest), as Godzilla's pretty ominous and humanity's plight is very dire, but the main character sounds like 2000's Triple H, he's fucking annoying

I haven't looked through the posts, but have people suggested Boku no Hero Academia (My Hero Academia)? I absolutely love it. All Might FTW. It's about a world where most people have a power (called quirks) and it follows students and some of the established heroes, like All Might, it's a great take on superheroes.

ezQSbc.gif

Tokoyami - Dark Shadow . The kid actually has a bird head lol
tumblr_p76d3aZssJ1sxfvy5o1_500.gif

Last edited:

Parasyte the Maxim. MC is kind of a wishy washy guy to start but it's brutal and he has far more emotional range than Eren. Also blood and death. Lots of blood and death.

- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
- Death Note
- Black Butler
- Fate/Zero series (there's like 4 or 5 of them)
- The Irregular at Magic High School
- Kakegurui
- Akame ga KILL!

If you like brutal more adult anime then Akame Ga Kill, Fate/Zero series and Fullmetal should be solid for you. Death Note is not bad (but that's an intellectual anime as opposed to action but highly recommended). Irregular at Magic High School is about high school kids but I recommend it (people die... kinda of a lot actually). Kakegurui is about gambling and it's awesome.

I'm like you Legion, def more adult-ish anime fan, with high school age being the limit I can stand, so long as adults are running things. Season 1 of Attack on Titan is goat status, just awesome stuff.

SaiWa is on the money with Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood (there's a shorter one, but watch Brotherhood). It can be a bit silly at times, but the cast of supporting characters are just awesome, really fleshed out. It's a great story/journey, that can get very dark. Like any great RPG, things start off in a small world, before slowly opening into a global adventure for the ages. Some of the characters are just outrageously funny too

The Fate series is excellent, but start with Fate/Stay unlimited Bladeworks. It's basically the same as the Fate/Stay anime from 2005 (?) just with better animation. It's really well done. Fate/Zero is a prequel, but you should watch Fate/Stay first.

Season 1 of Sword Art online is excellent too. Season 2 isn't as bad as some say it is, but that first season, at least the first 2/3 of it, is epic.

If I had to pick a fav, Death Note is it. It's awesome from start to finish, and only gets better as it goes along. It's very clever!

Steins Gate is excellent too, another clever gem

A bit older, but equally clever, is the Legend of Galactic Heroes. An anime space opera that focuses on two young commanders, who are brilliant strategists. The writing is just stellar

I recently finished Psycho Pass. I really enjoyed that. It's a cyberpunk-ish dystopian gem, very adult-centric themes.

Gundam Iron Blodded Orphans is good. It does have some kids but adults run shit. There's a lot of kids because these kids were basically raised in war similar to what they do to kids in Africa. I miss Knights of Sidonia wish season 3 would hurry up.
I always felt that I should love Gundam, as I love mechs and space faring but I've never been able to get into it. I'd rather start the series with more modern animation. Would you recommend Gundam Seed as a good starting point?

Last edited:
I always felt that I should love Gundam, as I love mechs and space faring but I've never been able to get into it. I'd rather start the series with more modern animation. Would you recommend Gundam Seed as a good starting point?

Then check out Iron Blooded. It's set in it's own timeline so it's not connected to any of the other ones. It's the newest one as well so the animation is good. Gundam Seed wasn't bad but IMO Iron Blooded is the best Gundam there is by a good margin.

You might also like Code Geass as well which is mech but also a lot of strategy. This is my favorite anime right now.

I'm like you Legion, def more adult-ish anime fan, with high school age being the limit I can stand, so long as adults are running things. Season 1 of Attack on Titan is goat status, just awesome stuff.

SaiWa is on the money with Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood (there's a shorter one, but watch Brotherhood). It can be a bit silly at times, but the cast of supporting characters are just awesome, really fleshed out. It's a great story/journey, that can get very dark. Like any great RPG, things start off in a small world, before slowly opening into a global adventure for the ages. Some of the characters are just outrageously funny too

The Fate series is excellent, but start with Fate/Stay unlimited Bladeworks. It's basically the same as the Fate/Stay anime from 2005 (?) just with better animation. It's really well done. Fate/Zero is a prequel, but you should watch Fate/Stay first.

Season 1 of Sword Art online is excellent too. Season 2 isn't as bad as some say it is, but that first season, at least the first 2/3 of it, is epic.

If I had to pick a fav, Death Note is it. It's awesome from start to finish, and only gets better as it goes along. It's very clever!

A bit older, but equally clever, is the Legend of Galactic Heroes. An anime space opera that focuses on two young commanders, who are brilliant strategists. The writing is just stellar

I recently finished Psycho Pass. I really enjoyed that. It's a cyberpunk-ish dystopian gem, very adult-centric themes.

Thanks man, I am starting Death Note ASAP. Did you watch Sirius The Jaeger? Pretty cool, vampires, lore,etc.

Thanks man, I am starting Death Note ASAP. Did you watch Sirius The Jaeger? Pretty cool, vampires, lore,etc.

Death Note was great you'll really enjoy it. I've been meaning to check out the Jarger anime have it on my list just haven't' done it yet.

Death Note was great you'll really enjoy it. I've been meaning to check out the Jarger anime have it on my list just haven't' done it yet.

Then check out Iron Blooded. It's set in it's own timeline so it's not connected to any of the other ones. It's the newest one as well so the animation is good. Gundam Seed wasn't bad but IMO Iron Blooded is the best Gundam there is by a good margin.

You might also like Code Geass as well which is mech but also a lot of strategy. This is my favorite anime right now.
People who love Death Note, usually love Code Geass, maybe even more so. It does need more time than DN though.

If you guys are looking for more adult anime, I recommend One Outs and Rainbow.

Completely different genres, but fans of Death Note will love One Outs (the strategy, cunning of the main character, and just the balls on the guy), has a weird art style but its amazing. It just uses baseball as a narrative tool, but its more about the psychology going on than the actual game.

If you love that, maybe read Liar Game by the same author, and its a shame it doesnt have an anime. Its a shame, since it has every other thing (live action tv show etc) but no damn anime.

Rainbow is an emotional gutpunch, you'll be devesateted nearly every episode. Its honestly great.

Started with the Promised Neverland anime, heard good things about it.

Liking it after the halfway point of ep1. A nice premise with a lot of questions, I can see why this became popular.

Back