Gegard Mousasi may very well be the best MW in the world as of 2019, here's my top 5

He left UFC at a weird time where he was in a good spot to get a title shot, so Bellator must have really showed him the money. He is one of the best for sure, look at what he just did to Rory and you think he couldn't do the same thing to bloated Welterweights like Gastelum or Whittaker?
I absolutely think he couldn’t do the same things to the Reaper as he did to the shell of the Red King masquerading as a mw.

Rory would crush Wonderboy, and we all saw what Wonderboy did to Robert. Also what did Gegard do vs Rory? I'll let you do the MMA math to figure that one out.

Having said that, I'm a huge fan of both Robert and Gegard and that, IMO, is the dream fight to make out of any other fighters in any promotion. As someone else mentioned I think the top 4 or 5 guys at MW could all beat each other, it is that close at the top.
Assume you’re being sarcastic as MMA math rarely if ever works. Incidentally didn’t Rory already lose to Wonderboy so your premise is flawed.

Quite possibly the most overrated fighter in mma at the moment. Clearly a top 10, maybe a top 5, absolutely nothing to suggest he’s #1. That’s almost a joke.

Let’s see: comes into the UFC. Gets soundly beat the first time he faces a top 5 opponent in Machida. Then beats a nearly unranked Munoz. Loses right after that to the second top 5 opponent he’s faced (Jacare). Takes two victories over fringe top 10 guys (Hendo and Costa). Gets finished by an at best top 10 guy in Hall. Puts together 5 straight wins. MAYBE one of which was a top 5 opponent in Weidman, but even he had lost two straight and it was a controversial win as well. So before leaving the UFC, he had a losing record against top 5 competition and had also been beat by Hall. In Bellator, he hasn’t beat a single ranked opponent.

It’s clear as day, he’s a solid top 10 guy who just isn’t good enough to beat the elite at MW. Thinking he is better than the proven elite (Whittaker, Yoel, Izzy,) is hilarious.

Quite possibly the most overrated fighter in mma at the moment. Clearly a top 10, maybe a top 5, absolutely nothing to suggest he’s #1. That’s almost a joke.

Let’s see: comes into the UFC. Gets soundly beat the first time he faces a top 5 opponent in Machida. Then beats a nearly unranked Munoz. Loses right after that to the second top 5 opponent he’s faced (Jacare). Takes two victories over fringe top 10 guys (Hendo and Costa). Gets finished by an at best top 10 guy in Hall. Puts together 5 straight wins. MAYBE one of which was a top 5 opponent in Weidman, but even he had lost two straight and it was a controversial win as well. So before leaving the UFC, he had a losing record against top 5 competition and had also been beat by Hall. In Bellator, he hasn’t beat a single ranked opponent.

It’s clear as day, he’s a solid top 10 guy who just isn’t good enough to beat the elite at MW. Thinking he is better than the proven elite (Whittaker, Yoel, Izzy,) is hilarious.
The proven elite, Izzy, lol. Cause he beat Gas in a contested fight. Mousasi would have made way easier work of Kelvin

The proven elite, Izzy, lol. Cause he beat Gas in a contested fight. Mousasi would have made way easier work of Kelvin

“Would have”

Izzy beat him on every judge’s score and on every major website. Gastelum was ranked top 5 by virtually every respectable site heading into the fight. Talk facts, not “would haves”

“Would have”

Izzy beat him on every judge’s score and on every major website. Gastelum was ranked top 5 by virtually every respectable site heading into the fight. Talk facts, not “would haves”
Talking about "top5" ranks as if it was the Bible, typical sign of a casual.
If you have seen mma for long enough, you cant say Izzy is a more proven figther than Gegard at this point. Period

Jacare, Gastelum, Whittaker, Romero, and Rockhold were all ahead of him and his 7-1 was not that impressive. He didn't have one top 5 win. Lets break it down...

Chris Weidman- Ranked #6 and was riding a two fight losing streak and was a bullshit TKO. That fight should have been restarted and Chris was not decisively beat.

Uriah Hall- Ranked number 12 and was coming of back to back losses

Vitor Belfort- Ranked #9 an old TRT-less post USADA vitor isn't much to brag about

Thiago Santos- was ranked 24 in the world at that time and went on to lose to Eric Spicely (who?) in his next bout. Can't believe this guy is going to be fighting Jones.

Thales Leites- was ranked 11 and was coming of a loss to Micheal Bisping

Uriah Hall- A fight he lost and was ranked at number 32

Costas Philippou- was ranked 13 and coming of a 2 fight losing streak

Dan Henderson- who was unranked (coming back from a LHW stint) was old and without TRT and was 1-4 in his last 5 fights
These rankings are BS. Why are you lying?

Weidman and Vitor were top 5 when Moose fought them and the other guys were top 10. Hendo was #7 LHW.

Talking about "top5" ranks as if it was the Bible, typical sign of a casual.
If you have seen mma for long enough, you cant say Izzy is a more proven figther than Gegard at this point. Period

He’s demonstrated to be better at this time in their careers. Again, Gerard has a losing record against the top of the division. And when you take RW and Yoel into account, there’s simply no way you can call Gerard the best MW in the world.

Lol rogan hyping the guy is supposed to prove something? Obviously what I said is.my opinion, it's a forum.

But it's definitely not an opinion that Rob has done more in the ufc mw division than Moose and should be ranked higher. That's a fact. Rankings are supposed to be based on what you've actually done, not potential.

Moose couldn't make it to a shot in the division rob is the champ of, but Moose is better? It's fine if his fans believe that but he's never proven it.
Uh.... have you been paying attention? He didnt leave UFC cause he lost 1 or 2 fights. Hes the first fighter to leave promotion in a 5 fight massacre streak as a 31 year old in prime.
...and they tried to give gegard his deserved title shot against bisping. Michael turned it down and I quote " Bisping Mousasi is bad for business "..." I'm the champ and I call the shots ".
How that mid level [ decent at best ]middleweight got away with such nonsense is beyond me.

You ought to watch (and everyone for that matter) the Mousasi weidman post fight interview. Gegard makes it VERY CLEAR about everything and what he wants and how he feels ...and how, he of course wants to stay. He also says hes reasonable a few times as he just fought out his contract.
In fact, he probably gained alot more fans that night added to his already solid fan base.
Seriously- a good hear.
In fact - you just have to Google mousasi steals show at post UFC 210.

Get educated.

Uh.... have you been paying attention? He didnt leave UFC cause he lost 1 or 2 fights. Hes the first fighter to leave promotion in a 5 fight massacre streak as a 31 year old in prime.
...and they tried to give gegard his deserved title shot against bisping. Michael turned it down and I quote " Bisping Mousasi is bad for business "..." I'm the champ and I call the shots ".
How that mid level [ decent at best ]middleweight got away with such nonsense is beyond me.

You ought to watch (and everyone for that matter) the Mousasi weidman post fight interview. Gegard makes it VERY CLEAR about everything and what he wants and how he feels ...and how, he of course wants to stay. He also says hes reasonable a few times as he just fought out his contract.
In fact, he probably gained alot more fans that night added to his already solid fan base.
Seriously- a good hear.
In fact - you just have to Google mousasi steals show at post UFC 210.

Get educated.
I already know all of that. I didn't mention it because it has nothing whatsoever to do with the points I made. Legit top 5 talent, sure. The number one mw?

No. No he is not.

I didn't disregard the topic. His wins weren't over the best mws. Everyone knows that. During that span he got trashed by Jacare and lost to a journeyman in Hall. He could and probably should have been in the title picure after the Chris win, but he isn't a draw so they weren't interested in pushing him or giving him big paydays.

And try to spin it all you want, Chris has been on a slump for years. Beating him when he was already on a losing streak isn't that impressive. It's literally the absolute weakest "top win" he could have gotten.

Right so you agree with the only point that I made, that he was in the title picture and not barely some top 10 journeyman when he left which was the post I was replying to.

I already know all of that. I didn't mention it because it has nothing whatsoever to do with the points I made. Legit top 5 talent, sure. The number one mw?

No. No he is not.
Legit top 5 talent especially with todays top middleweights. Having the REASONABLE OPINION that he might just be best middleweight is what we call subjective (besides reasonable opinion).

Las Vegas and Joe Rogan both smarter than you..... and I'm even saying that gegard would play underdog but " slight" which , again, validates " reasonable OPINION ".

I hate our fans but love this place - lol.
Basically what your saying that there s no fucking way that Gegard Mousasi can beat Rob Whitaker or Yoel Romero ???
Wut ? Lol.

Right so you agree with the only point that I made, that he was in the title picture and not barely some top 10 journeyman when he left which was the post I was replying to.
Yeah fair enough, I do agree with that. He's an elite talent for sure.

Legit top 5 talent especially with todays top middleweights. Having the REASONABLE OPINION that he might just be best middleweight is what we call subjective (besides reasonable opinion).

Las Vegas and Joe Rogan both smarter than you..... and I'm even saying that gegard would play underdog but " slight" which , again, validates " reasonable OPINION ".

I hate our fans but love this place - lol.
Basically what your saying that there s no fucking way that Gegard Mousasi can beat Rob Whitaker or Yoel Romero ???
Wut ? Lol.
No, I said he hasn't proven he's the best mw. No need to be so insulting, and while claiming the moral high ground too.

No, I said he hasn't proven he's the best mw. No need to be so insulting, and while claiming the moral high ground too.

Dude is completely unable to accurately access Mousasi ability. No one in there right mind would favor him over Romero or Whittaker.

Hes top 5 but he's constantly overrated. People consistently refer to him as the best striker at mw but he's been out struck multiple times.

In terms of talent I think he's 4th best.

1. Whittaker
2. Yoel
3. Adesanya
4. Mousasi
5. Hermansson

To be the best MW Moose only needs to beat 1 MW, and that is the UFC MW champion, who many believe stylistically he matches up very well against.

You also ignore a very important criteria which is that Moose went undefeated in the UFC Post USADA, not only that but was also putting on dominating performances.

People tend to forget that almost every division was shaken up post USADA, and Moose and Bisping seemed to benefit greatly from the enhanced testing

Whittaker has two victories on Yoel Romero. So yeah, Bobby Knuckles is #1, for sure... Romero beats everybody else, so he's number 2. IMO, Moose is right behind them, but I don't see him going past Bob, and he's not beating Romero.

To be the best MW Moose only needs to beat 1 MW, and that is the UFC MW champion, who many believe stylistically he matches up very well against.

You also ignore a very important criteria which is that Moose went undefeated in the UFC Post USADA, not only that but was also putting on dominating performances.

People tend to forget that almost every division was shaken up post USADA, and Moose and Bisping seemed to benefit greatly from the enhanced testing
I disagree, people don't always see the champ as the best. It's who you beat to get the belt, and who you beat while defending it. Yoel twice and Jacare are better wins than Moose or any other mw has had in the last few years.

The usada thing is pure speculation and uninteresting to me. No way to know who's juiced and who isn't.

I disagree, people don't always see the champ as the best. It's who you beat to get the belt, and who you beat while defending it. Yoel twice and Jacare are better wins than Moose or any other mw has had in the last few years.

The usada thing is pure speculation and uninteresting to me. No way to know who's juiced and who isn't.

Speculation, or indirect evidence, has probative value in regards to being used as evidence in courts, to disregard something so obvious just makes you look like a fool.

Hendricks had a 85% win ratio Pre USADA at WW, after USADA was imposed he went to 16% win ratio while not even being able to make 185lbs.

You can ignore it and pretend it doesnt exist, but facts are facts, and almost every division was shaken up.

He’s demonstrated to be better at this time in their careers. Again, Gerard has a losing record against the top of the division. And when you take RW and Yoel into account, there’s simply no way you can call Gerard the best MW in the world.
I have Rob and Yoel above him. Israel not yet

Back