Gomi is the greatest lightweight of all time

And yet Sherk still would have murked Gomi ... so what does that make Gomi?

Eh.. Could have, would have, should have.

Fact is Sherk went 4-2 in his LW career (3-3, let's be real). While Gomi had 2 of the most impressive win streaks in LW history, his streak in Shooto and his streak in PRIDE. It's not like Gomi was known for struggling with wrestlers either, Ishida and Crusher were 2 of the best wrestlers in the division at the time and Gomi finished them both. Sherk telegraphed his takedowns A LOT, Hermes franca landed the same knee on him coming in like 40 times in their fight. Gomi would have TKO'd Sherk.

Sonnen retired yesterday. Everyone's acting like he's a legend or something. I remember in the middle of Sonnen's career, no one gave a fuck about him before he started running his mouth. That's why he was underdogs in pretty much of his most of UFC fights, leading up to fighting Anderson, and no one was surprised when Maia literally put his ball into Sonnen's mouth and tapped him out under two minutes or so.

On the other hand, Gomi doesn't seem to be getting a whole lot of respect around here, and they are acting like Khabib is the best lightweight of all time or something. I mean, you can't fix stupid, but I mean, Diaz out of all people didn't wanna fight Gomi because he respected Gomi too much, Guida I think said he looked up to Gomi coming up and watching him fight, Miller, Lauzon, and so on, just tons of respect shown his way while kicking his ass.

But Gomi was getting his ass kicked BEFORE coming into the UFC against nobodies, but in his absolute prime, Gomi was the shit, and unlike Khabib, Gomi isn't a former welterweight who cut into lightweight cutting HUGE amount of weight either.

Gomi beat Sakurai, who was the number 1 welterweight in 2001 until he lost to Anderson. When Gomi beat Sakurai, Sakurai was 27-6-2, only losing to guys like Anderson, Matt Hughes, Jake Shields, Ryo Chonan who was kicking Anderon's ass till he tapped him out in highlight reel fashion, and two gracies, all above lightweight.

When Gomi beat Jens, who was number 1 lightweight in 2002, who beat BJ Penn, and Jens had a record of 18-4-1.

People bring up BJ Penn fight all the time, without mentioning, that it was Gomi's first fight in the cage. EVER. He literally fought in BJ Penn's backyard, as much as humanly possible, fighting in Hawaii in BJ's organization. THere was a BS stand up in the second round, and it was tied 1 a piece going into the third round, and BJ Penn fought like Sean Sherk spamming takedowns after takedowns. For reference, Melendez picked that fight his best fight or lightweight fight, can't remember exactly but something along that line. A fight after, BJ Penn would tap out Matt Hughes too, so what's the shame in that necessarily, and as great as BJ Penn was, he didn't really stick around long enough at lightweight like Gomi did.

Gomi beat Kawajiri when he was 15-2-2, his lone two losses coming from the first round RNc loss in the very first fight, and to Riberio in 2002, who would be the number 1 lightweight in the world in 2004, and he would go onto wrestlefuck the life out of someone like Josh Thomson. It's little insane how Josh Thomson out of all people gets more respect on here than Gomi around here. Who really cared about that Josh Thomson?

Gomi also beat Ishida, when Ishida was 14-2-2, whose lone two losses also come from the debut loss and to Riberio in 2004, who was the number 1 lightweight in the world in 2004. And guess who Ishida wrestlefucked, after getting finished in the first round by Gomi? Gilbert.

Gomi broke Nick Diaz's face in Las Vegas. Stopped Ludwig in the first round on the feet, also breaking his nose, I believe. Gomi outboxed Bang Tae Hyun, who has an amatuer boxing background in Korea, who also would go onto outbox Masvidal, yea that Masvidal, in a next fight, but then get robbed hard of a decision win, and this was when Gomi was on his decline too.
And as washed up as Gomi was, you know Gomi got robbed against Diego also.

Thing is, Gomi, in the history of MMA, is the only lightweight fighter to be the number 1 pound for pound fighter on this Sherdog website, sharing the same platform with Fedor Emelianenko.

I laught as people like Dustin Poirer thinking like he's the greatest lightweight fighter if he beats Khabib, or Khabib himself. Gomi would have shat on Poirer and wiped his ass with his tattoos. There are fighters who could give Gomi trouble, and Poirer isn't one of them.

Gomi is as washed up as anyone in the history of this game, on par with Chuck Liddel, but just fighting more. But if a scrub like Sonnen is getting the respect he does, or even Machida, who in my opinion, is a step below Gomi, and yes I've been following Machida's career more than you have and remember good times when Machida was another Okami, then Gomi deserves some love in this forum.

Because no lightweight was ever good enough to be named the top pound for pound fighter in the world on Sherdog, and Gomi IS the best lightweight ever.

ForkedIndelibleAtlanticridleyturtle-size_restricted.gif

FinishedTeemingEastsiberianlaika-size_restricted.gif

FreshGreatCopepod-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_otc9s8EZCp1qd4esao1_400.gif

12063762a7ba08db8b5290e9c8b9a806.gif
what Nick did to him was legendary
War diaz

Uno, Gomi (?), GSP, Hughes (twice), Florian, prime Diego Sanchez were laughable? That's tougher group than Aoki or Gomi fought.
Gsp he lost. Gsp and Hughes are not lw. Diego has always been mediocre and had a very hard cut to lw.

Good fighter in his day, but not a Top5 GOAT LW at this point. Great career and I am a huge fan.

But NO

Diego has always been mediocre and had a very hard cut to lw.
Sanchez won his first 17 fights including Nick Diaz (who submitted Gomi, despite the NC due to pot smoking, LOL), Joe Riggs (who beat Nick), Karo, Florian and others. Most of the guys Gomi beat in his short prime were a lot more mediocre than Diego...like Krazy Horse, who didn't even train.

Gomi was a badass in his day. He was fun to watch and exciting. He threw bombs and had killer ko power for a small guy. I dont think he would stand a chance ve khabib really, but he is and should be considered at least a top 5 all time LW.

he may be top 5 but if khabib or tony cement themselves its hard to keep him in there. the division is stacked compared to 10 years ago.

I could go into all the things Tony does that make him successful, but I think it would kinda be a waste of time here. You have your mind made up already, no point arguing it.

I'll just say that while I don't think Gomi is the best LW ever, he's in the top 5 and he's also in the top 5 for most exciting LW's ever. Being both of those is a huge accomplishment. And in the current landscape of MMA he'd really be a featherweight anyway. He liked to party and maybe didn't have the discipline to cut to 145, but he easily could have. He was a pretty small LW doing what he did.

Except the huuuuuge noggin. He has a heavy weights head on a feather weights body. Other wise spot on.

Sanchez won his first 17 fights including Nick Diaz (who submitted Gomi, despite the NC due to pot smoking, LOL), Joe Riggs (who beat Nick), Karo, Florian and others. Most of the guys Gomi beat in his short prime were a lot more mediocre than Diego...like Krazy Horse, who didn't even train.
How many of those were at lw. How many times did Diego fight at lw and who did he beat?
Guess you forgot sakurai, kawajiri, azeredo, ishida etc

If I got paid a dollar every time someone posted that pic in my thread...I like BJ, as much as you do but
why do you make me do this

CourteousTornAvocet-size_restricted.gif

Bj fought guys like Machida, Rory, Nick Diaz, matt Hughes.......yet little 5'6 145lb Edgar has the honor of being the first man to finish him.

As for now :

- Khabib
- Ferg
- RDA
- Cowboy
... the rest

Dont forget , Kabib and Tony are modern day MMA fighters , in other words , weight cheaters . What weight do they REALLY fight at 175 + ? Get in the Pride ring weighing 161 or less and fight Prime Gomi . View attachment 600229
Lol how the hell is it cheating when everyone cuts?

No one gives a shit about your arbitrary criteria for what constitutes a "GOAT"

People were calling Conor the 145 GOAT and he never even defended a title.

Had Conor lost to Aldo he would have lost the interim title.....

But Khabib does, am I right? Lmao

Yes.
??

tell me who bj's best win at LW was. what is his LW legacy.

Gomi himself, Diego, Sherk, Florian, Joe Daddy, Uno, Serra...

Hellboy, Azeredo, and Kawajiri top that list???

Just glossing over the beating BJ gave him??

Edit* Damn Gomi never beat Hellboy...

Best wins: Debuting Santos who took 4 years off after, Kawajiri, Tyson Griffin, Jens Pulver, Azeredo, and Mishima.

With the possible exception of Tyson Griffin, Gomi's best wins all lose to Florian.

Pride fanboy logic: Mishima is a fantastic win for Gomi...

Joe Daddy was a hack win for BJ.

Last edited:
You left out the most satisfying KO of his career IMO. Single-handedly destroyed chute-box.
gomiazeredobushido7.gif

Gomi was a badass in his day. He was fun to watch and exciting. He threw bombs and had killer ko power for a small guy. I dont think he would stand a chance ve khabib really, but he is and should be considered at least a top 5 all time LW.

BJ, Frankie, Tony, Khabib, Pettis, and Bendo all CLEARLY have better resumes. Gray, Sherk, Florian, Nate, and Cowboy probably as well.

How high do people regard Kawajiri and Hellboy?

Wow.

Except the huuuuuge noggin. He has a heavy weights head on a feather weights body. Other wise spot on.

Ha true. Probably partly explains how he could be in those brawls and eat a bunch of shots without dropping.

Until he came to the States anyway. Back in the day Gomi had a GOAT level chin.

BJ, Frankie, Tony, Khabib, Pettis, and Bendo all CLEARLY have better resumes. Gray, Sherk, Florian, Nate, and Cowboy probably as well.

How high do people regard Kawajiri and Hellboy?

Wow.

Don't you dare bash Hellboy! Loved that guy!

(Admittedly he was a really good, but not great, LW. But man I was a big fan of his.)

Back