Gomi is the greatest lightweight of all time

Lol how the hell is it cheating when everyone cuts?
If everyone poked each other in the eyes it would still be cheating . The point I was making is that people in the thread are talking about Tony and Kabib being better than Gomi and Im saying the comparison is invalid due to the UFC'S LW's actually being WW's or even MW's cutting to LW . Im thinking that the fighters in Pride's LW (161) class didnt cut much weight , if any . Maybe Im wrong though . Do you know if Gomi cut 20+ pounds to make 161 / 155 ?

Was tito the goat ufc lhw when he had the record or nah because his comp was garbage?

So using your argument, you would say someone like Gus is higher than Tito on the all time list? I mean Gus was a hell of a fighter, arguably much more skilled than Tito and maybe better prime for prime, but never touched legitimate ufc gold.

Goat is all subjective, I tend to think it should go more towards accomplishments and you are leaning more towards overall skill ( and possibly head to head matchups? ) I’m not saying you are wrong we just have different criteria for GOAT which is why it’s kind of a silly argument

If everyone poked each other in the eyes it would still be cheating . The point I was making is that people in the thread are talking about Tony and Kabib being better than Gomi and Im saying the comparison is invalid due to the UFC'S LW's actually being WW's or even MW's cutting to LW . Im thinking that the fighters in Pride's LW (161) class didnt cut much weight , if any . Maybe Im wrong though . Do you know if Gomi cut 20+ pounds to make 161 / 155 ?
Eh weight cutting is just part of the game. And always has been across multiple combat sports. Your logic makes no sense to me tbh. If something is allowed under the ruleset, by definition it isn't cheating.

Cheating is doing something that ISN'T allowed under the rules. Anyway I have no idea how much anyone cut in pride. I know japanese fighters in general were slow to take to weight cutting.

So using your argument, you would say someone like Gus is higher than Tito on the all time list? I mean Gus was a hell of a fighter, arguably much more skilled than Tito and maybe better prime for prime, but never touched legitimate ufc gold.

Goat is all subjective, I tend to think it should go more towards accomplishments and you are leaning more towards overall skill ( and possibly head to head matchups? ) I’m not saying you are wrong we just have different criteria for GOAT which is why it’s kind of a silly argument
Well both are far from GOAT contention but yes. And I would argue it's the only logical approach to take. To say Tito is a better fighter than Gus, simply because Tito had a belt, is ludicrous.

The only win of note in Titos entire reign is a young Wandy. Although tbh I'm not super high on someone like Gus. Weak resume.

But to use anither example I would for sure put Tony over Sherk. Sherk held the lw title and Tony didnt, but Tony has a far better resume. And as big of a Penn fan as I am, Tony has a better resume and streak at lw than Penn ever had.

Titles matter but strength of schedule > a belt, which is ultimately just a promotional tool for the org.

Ha true. Probably partly explains how he could be in those brawls and eat a bunch of shots without dropping.

Until he came to the States anyway. Back in the day Gomi had a GOAT level chin.

To be fair there were years between then, before, next time and now. Gomi WAS awesome, he dished up a serving of brick hands on a plate of a monstrous noggin and to this day us old fans still hope..

Well both are far from GOAT contention but yes. And I would argue it's the only logical approach to take. To say Tito is a better fighter than Gus, simply because Tito had a belt, is ludicrous.

The only win of note in Titos entire reign is a young Wandy. Although tbh I'm not super high on someone like Gus. Weak resume.

But to use anither example I would for sure put Tony over Sherk. Sherk held the lw title and Tony didnt, but Tony has a far better resume. And as big of a Penn fan as I am, Tony has a better resume and streak at lw than Penn ever had.

Titles matter but strength of schedule > a belt, which is ultimately just a promotional tool for the org.
Gus' resume consists of:
  • #4 Shogun
  • #9 Manuwa
  • #6 Glover
That's literally his entire resume.

Kenny Florian has a better resume than Gus does, and just as many title shots.
Tito's resume shits all over Gus'.

Gus' resume consists of:
  • #4 Shogun
  • #9 Manuwa
  • #6 Glover
That's literally his entire resume.

Kenny Florian has a better resume than Gus does, and just as many title shots.
Tito's resume shits all over Gus'.

Plus Shogun and Glover were way out of their primes.

And I'm not sure Manuwa was ever really that good.

Always thought Gus was insanely overrated.

Don't you dare bash Hellboy! Loved that guy!

(Admittedly he was a really good, but not great, LW. But man I was a big fan of his.)

I mean he beat Yves, Gomi, Aoki, Uno amongst other big names at LW all in their respective primes. He had a patchy record in the latter half of his career but the man was really fucking good in his prime.

I mean he beat Yves, Gomi, Aoki, Uno amongst other big names at LW all in their respective primes. He had a patchy record in the latter half of his career but the man was really fucking good in his prime.

Plus super exciting. It's one thing to beat really good guys. It's another to be really entertaining while doing it.

Yes.

Gomi himself, Diego, Sherk, Florian, Joe Daddy, Uno, Serra...

beating 2002 serra in a close fight yeah that really puts him up there.

gomi put in WORK at LW. bj's overall record looks pathetic.

Best of anything will never get settled. But most fun to watch lightweight? Most awesome? Gomi wins by a landslide.

Don't you dare bash Hellboy! Loved that guy!

(Admittedly he was a really good, but not great, LW. But man I was a big fan of his.)

Yea I incorrectly assumed he lost to Gomi.

Shit, he arguably has a better resume.
and gomi just ko'd guillard while bj lost a record 7 fights straight.

True dat.

Gomi got finished like 5 straight times to end his UFC run...

Shit I left out Eddie and RDA....

Really gotta do some mental gymnastics to put Gomi anywhere near the top10.

Khabib, Tony,Frankie,Bendo, BJ,Pettis, Nate, Florian, Eddie, RDA, Sherk,Cowboy,Gray...

Which of the above has a weaker resume than Gomi?

I left out Gilbert, Guida,Josh Thomson...etc

GOAT, no way. but he's somewhere in the top 5 or so, even if he's had a rough ten year run since joining the ufc (if not earlier).

Back