Social May i ask: what is the argument for reparations in 2019?

XThe GreatestX

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
because it legitimately sounds like the stupidest idea i have ever heard in my life.

Am i missing something?

White privilege.

I would say that the main argument is that many black Americans ancestors added tremendous value to this country for centuries, but were not allowed to reap or accrue any of it until basically 50 years ago. They were unpaid labor that never got the chance to take part in the generational increase in status and wealth things like owning a house will give you. I am not a fan simply because I think it would be a nightmare to figure out who was owed what, but I see the argument.

giphy.gif

If you know that government policies lead to tangible harm to people and the government is able to assess the value of that harm and redress it, should they not?

Just politicians using the black man like chess pieces. Business as usual.

I've got some black in me. When can I expect my check?

To get votes with no intention of actually making it happen

There is no argument. Dems are just racist and think black people are stupid enough to fall for this horseshit.

because it legitimately sounds like the stupidest idea i have ever heard in my life.

Am i missing something?
Liberals need votes and they have very little to offer than literal cash compensation.

As stated, there is no argument. If Democrats were serious about reparations, they could start by donating the hundreds of millions of dollars they raise each year to the black community, since it was the Democrat party that enslaved them to begin with, and since it is Democrat cities and Democrat policies which continue to ravage the black community today.

But they aren't serious about it, and never were.

Am i missing something?

The primary argument is that blacks in America were deprived of the ability to accumulate and inherit wealth for over 400 years as slaves, and once freed every promise made to them was broken by the federal government and they had to suffer another 100 years of systemic racism and isolation from American society.

I would say that the main argument is that many black Americans ancestors added tremendous value to this country for centuries, but were not allowed to reap or accrue any of it until basically 50 years ago. They were unpaid labor that never got the chance to take part in the generational increase in status and wealth things like owning a house will give you. I am not a fan simply because I think it would be a nightmare to figure out who was owed what, but I see the argument.

I don’t know anyone (granted it’s a small circle) that has inherited any wealth...we also know factually that there were more poor non slave descendants that did a shit done of labor who did not benefit at all other than measly pay...

If I were asked to solve this, I would start with using historical documents to determine slave owners. Create a family tree of the slave owners....starting with the original slave owners determine how much of their wealth was made on the backs of slaves... then using that as a baseline follow the money trail to its current value..accounting for value growth of the baseline amount based on an annualized growth % and growth directly linked to investment of the baseline amount...then determine where city, county state the money and growth lived...take that money and put it in an escrow account and fund....healthcare, education and small business loans...for black Americans that did not immigrate here....just a few thoughts that popped out...jumbled as they are you should get the drift

Redistributing wealth to the African-American community will usher in a new era of peace and prosperity.

It will be the first of many steps necessary to reverse thousands of years of systematic oppression and racism against dark-skinned People of Color.

I don’t know anyone (granted it’s a small circle) that has inherited any wealth...we also know factually that there were more poor non slave descendants that did a shit done of labor who did not benefit at all other than measly pay...

If I were asked to solve this, I would start with using historical documents to determine slave owners. Create a family tree of the slave owners....starting with the original slave owners determine how much of their wealth was made on the backs of slaves... then using that as a baseline follow the money trail to its current value..accounting for value growth of the baseline amount based on an annualized growth % and growth directly linked to investment of the baseline amount...then determine where city, county state the money and growth lived...take that money and put it in an escrow account and fund....healthcare, education and small business loans...for black Americans that did not immigrate here....just a few thoughts that popped out...jumbled as they are you should get the drift

I think a simpler approach would be to identify the areas of the country with the highest concentration of former slaves ancestors and directly invest in those states in way that benefits everyone, but also offer some form housing and vehicle credits to black Americans that can prove they're not recent immigrants.

The primary argument is that blacks in America were deprived of the ability to accumulate and inherit wealth for over 400 years as slaves, and once freed every promise made to them was broken by the federal government and they had to suffer another 100 years of systemic racism and isolation from American society.
That's pretty much it right there.

You can argue about how realistic it actually happening/getting voted on is, or argue about how we would even determine who gets what, or what the point of doing it this late is, but that there is "no" argument, is obviously bullshit.

There's an argument, it's just not one most people want to have. And it's an issue that wouldn't have a clean and clear cut solution.

Back