What got you into mma? What fight got you into mma?

Africa5876

The Last GenderBender (Usada approved)
Banned
Reaction score
I only became an mma fan when the khabib McGregor fight took place (I watched every single fight on the ppv, and I was hooked from there. Before that however, in July of 2018, I started watching knockout compilations, then submission compilations, then I watched mirko cro cop vs wanderlei Silva 2 on YouTube which broadened my mma horizons much further. I then started watching the old pride fights too and it became clear to me that this was something I loved.

I've never been an athletic guy or anything, never had an interest in anything sport related so it felt cool finally finding a sport that actually interested me.
Footballs fucking boring, too many breaks in the action, same with most other sports, but in mma you have 5 unaltered minutes (unless you commit a foul of course) to have your way with your opponent, and as a scrawny bisexual autistic white teenager in southern California, I was amazed at the incredible athleticism displayed by a lot of these guys showed (I also loved the violence too.) Football is indirect violence, in every sport there's a chance of getting hurt, so why not have a more direct approach to it?

I watched a lot of those top 10 videos and then that got me even more interested, and eventually the rabbithole just got deeper and deeper over the coming months. I didn't know anyone who was interested in mma aside from my dad, and I needed someone to talk to about mma, so I googled "mma forum" and found sherdog. I saw how popular it was, so I made an account and the rest is history I guess.

Now tell me how you got into it ya nerds

Last edited:
FRAT

However I like when Frank Shamrock slammed Igor on his melon

Hunto fan from South Auckland, followed him to MMA when he left K1 for Pride

UntriedSolidDowitcher-size_restricted.gif

Watching royce gracie fuck everyone up the first ufc with my dad. We were both like wtf. We thought kung fu was the ultimate martial art and nothing else came close back then.

Chuck Liddell destroying people got me into MMA.

Watching royce gracie fuck everyone up the first ufc with my dad. We were both like wtf. We thought kung fu was the ultimate martial art and nothing else came close back then.
I think we all at one point thought kung fu shit was the best and that nobody could beat a kung Fu guy, lol, my dad introduced me to Royce Gracie back in January of 2018, basically telling me that you don't have to be the most physically muscular guy to whoop some ass and that grappling is superior to striking in a sense

Bj Penn vs. Diego Sanchez. Awesome card

The first Wanderlei Silva/Hendo fight. Saw the first few UFC events on VHS in high school and wasn't a big fan. Watching equally skilled fighters in Pride got me into MMA.

This exact fight

HastyPowerfulAntelope.gif

giphy.gif

And you wanted to see more...

<{JustBleed}>

I only became an mma fan when the khabib McGregor fight took place (I watched every single fight on the ppv, and I was hooked from there. in July of 2018, I started watching knockout compilations, then submission compilations, then I watched mirko cro cop vs wanderlei Silva 2 on YouTube which broadened my mma horizons much further, I then started watching the old pride fights too and it became clear to me that this was something I loved.

I've never been an athletic guy or anything, never had an interest in anything sport related so it felt cool finally finding a sport that actually interested me.
Footballs fucking boring, too many breaks in the action, same with most other sports, but in mma you have 5 unaltered minutes (unless you commit a foul of course) to have your way with your opponent, and as a scrawny bisexual autistic white teenager in southern California, I was amazed at the incredible athleticism displayed by a lot of these guys showed (I also loved the violence too.) Football is indirect violence, in every sport there's a chance of getting hurt, so why not have a more direct approach to it?

I watched a lot of those top 10 videos and then that got me even more interested, and eventually the rabbithole just got deeper and deeper over the coming months. I didn't know anyone who was interested in mma aside from my dad, and I needed someone to talk to about mma, so I googled "mma forum" and found sherdog. I saw how popular it was, so I made an account and the rest is history I guess.

Now tell me how you got into it ya nerds

5ra75j.gif

giphy.gif

Ufc 1 my friend invented me over when I was 12 and have been hooked since.

I dunno. Saw the early ones then went dark for a long time. Then when I finally got a teevee a friend reintroduced it to me. No one fight. Just liked the one on one competition and that wrestlers made it in

I'm ashamed to admit this, but the first ea ufc game.
They showed a gameplay video of Aldo vs Pettis and I was like this shit looks dope.

From that I went to watch Aldo highlights and became hooked.
That game was trash by the way.

Martial Arts movies growing up and how JCVD and Seagal would do in a real fight... UFC 1 skinny Gracie vs a jacked Shamrock.

I actually watched UFC 1 somewhere around 94 in VHS, but only got into it around UFC 90 or so. What really made go ape shit was Silva vs. Griffin.

I actually watched UFC 1 somewhere around 94 in VHS, but only got into it around UFC 90 or so. What really made go ape shit was Silva vs. Griffin.
What was your reaction to kimo leopaldo getting soccer kicked in the fucking face?

I liked boxing but the corruption and the difficulty in following it,made me go in and out ofi t. It was really through watching wrestling in the mid 90s. Whatever was selling japanese pro wrestling tapes also sold pancrase and Battlearts stuff. Of course you wanna know about guys who fight for real...and i got some of the old ufcs and pancrase vids. I remember loving Rutten and Belfort and Tank,but the Gracie jiu jitsu stuff,i just didnt get it at first. Seeing Severn tap to Gracie after being stuck in the guard for that long,it didnt make sense to me. I got out of it for awhile,and then i saw Pride 10,and then tito vs shamrock,and the 2003 mw gp tourney in pride. Fuck... by then i was all in. It was like the sole object of my thoughts. Around that time was when i started coming to the forum.

Last edited:
Early 2000s I was living in Hong Kong. Where I lived, they had an Indonesian channel on TV. It showed a lot of sports, so I started to watch it. Every Friday, it would show the TPI fighting championships, which were amazing. There'd also be random MMA tournaments from Russia, and Pride! I saw Fedor Vs Nog, and was hooked.

Back