What got you into mma? What fight got you into mma?

This
giphy.gif

still a causal...

Early 2000s I was living in Hong Kong. Where I lived, they had an Indonesian channel on TV. It showed a lot of sports, so I started to watch it. Every Friday, it would show the TPI fighting championships, which were amazing. There'd also be random MMA tournaments from Russia, and Pride! I saw Fedor Vs Nog, and was hooked.
Never heard of tpi, where can I watch their fights?

Watching Spike TV on weekend afternoons back in the mid-2000s. If I remember correctly, Arlovski was the the first fighter I was excited about. He got knocked out by Tim Sylvia in the first ppv I watched, and I've been watching him get knocked out ever since.

FRAT

However I like when Frank Shamrock slammed Igor on his melon

Poor Igor, it was champ vs champ at the time, that slam ended Igor’s career, was a lot of guys I would have liked to see him (Igor) fight in the UFC at that time.

UFC 2 was the 1st I watched and was hooked, but I watched about 99% of all the UFC fights pre-ufc 150, (hell I got copies of the 1st 60ish on VHS, snatched them up real quick when video stores were goin out of business) I just feel the UFC has steadily going downhill since ufc 100 with some peaks here and there.

since about July of 2010
First 2 fights I saw that got me hooked were :

Lesnar vs Carwin
Sonnen vs Silva I

Grew up practicing martial arts and was a huge Bruce Lee fan.

Seen the UFC VHS tape next to the WWF ones at a video store and rented it as a 12/13 year old kid.

Would have been Royce.

UFC 1, Gordeau v Tuli. At the time the rules didn't even recognize a referee stoppage. Numerous times I've changed my personal opinion on whether that fight should have been stopped.

I watched UFC 1 and 2 on VHS as a kid

Then Lesnar vs Overeem at the bar

But it was only after the Conor dolly bus Khabib incident that I actually started getting PPVs, fightpass and Sherdog account

Silva front kick K.O. on Belfort made MMA popular all over Brasil, i had heard about "Minotauro" and "jiu-jitsu" before, but i had a vague image and didn't really knew what it was about. This kick was all over the news and everybody was watching MMA.

I became hooked, started to watch all the UFC events and went to train jiu-jitsu (then discovered half the people i knew where, at least, a blue belt, and my small town had like 6 BJJ gyms, it was like finding about secret society). The hype faded away after a few years, especially after Silva lost, but i still watch at least the main fight of every event and just got my BJJ brown belt.

What was your reaction to kimo leopaldo getting soccer kicked in the fucking face?
It wasn't Kimo, it was Tula Tuli or something like that... Nobody saw the tooth flying off back in that VHS time, we're talking about a copy of a copy of a copy lol

But then we found it and we were like HOLY SHIT, YOU SEEN DAT?, good times... We all (well, except the guy who got us the tape) thought that the savate guy would end up winning. I guess that was the message Royce Gracie wanted to show the world.

It wasn't Kimo, it was Tula Tuli or something like that... Nobody saw the tooth flying off back in that VHS time, we're talking about a copy of a copy of a copy lol

But then we found it and we were like HOLY SHIT, YOU SEEN DAT?, good times... We all (well, except the guy who got us the tape) thought that the savate guy would end up winning. I guess that was the message Royce Gracie wanted to show the world.
Imagine if rickson fought instead of royce

One time when I was five my uncle was babysitting me and he threw on some old bj penn fights. My mom wasn’t happy when she saw what was on tv.

UFC 5 when Dan Severn cleaned house and won the tournament, I watched it with my dad. Afterwards I went to blockbusters and rented UFC 3 VHS and UFC 2 VHS the following day, I was hooked and enjoyed it. Thats why Dan Severn is the GOAT for me because he got me into it, first fight I saw.

What was your reaction to kimo leopaldo getting soccer kicked in the fucking face?
that didnt happen, the sumo guy tela tuli or something like that got kicked in the face

The fight that made me a fan was Bonnar, Griffin 1.... i was flipping through channels and randomly caught it mid first round and by the end of the fight had called every friend i had to tell them they HAVE to see this

Watched since before UFC 1, but the first fight that had me really excited was Wand/CroCop 1.

As a youngster, a kid owed me money and he stole a bunch of DVDs from a blockbuster. He was dumb as dog shit but when it came to theft, dude was a fucking master. He was a huge wrestling fan and he saw ken shamrock on the cover of a dvd, he stole it and gave it to me. It was UFC 40, after that, I was in love.

UFC 1, Gordeau v Tuli. At the time the rules didn't even recognize a referee stoppage. Numerous times I've changed my personal opinion on whether that fight should have been stopped.
Of course it shoulda been stopped. He lost 4 teeth.

Back