I'm A BJJ Fanatic: John Danaher

Gotta Love the interwebz. You show me a guy saying something worthwhile, I'll show you 10 screen names shitting on it.

If only online forums had been around back in Martin Luther King's day.

"We get it, equality. Hurry up & get to the point. No one wants to hear about your dream ROFL"

I actually like the way he explains things (his DVDs helped my game a ton), but sometimes he says the dumbest things and gets a pass because he makes it look fancy.

Like his whole ''Most problems are static. Jiu-jitsu is a dynamic problem, you're trying to solve a problem that's trying to solve you'' (or something like that, paraphrasing). You know what else fits that description? Every competition ever. A badminton match. Chess. DOTA. Trying to catch a chicken Rocky style. You're trying to win or get something, and the other side wants to stop you and/or also gain something from you? Voila, dynamic problem. Just say it's fun to choke people you nerd.

ConsciousFluffyBangeltiger-max-1mb.gif

The ''a student is like a knife'' line was also atrocious.

Gotta Love the interwebz. You show me a guy saying something worthwhile, I'll show you 10 screen names shitting on it.

"We get it, equality. Hurry up & get to the point. No one wants to hear about your dream ROFL"

Being born and raised in a country with almost no black people and no real history of slavery (other then WW2 stuff like some of my ancestors being send to death camps for being Jewish or filthy russians murdering and starving others for the lols), my opinion on the MLK speeches would seriously offend a lot of Murikans.

Its better to stay in the heavies. Every time I try to go to the "better" places on Sherdog its just the same except I cant troll them back as hard.

Really?

All I saw was a guy who was explaining his philosophy for why he likes BJJ. He was even using applicable analogies and explaining it in a way that's accessible for non-grapplers

- Some don't like his long speeches as they are annoying or even counter productive with his particular voice tone and prefer straight forward explanations.

- Other like his explanations as his elocution can vehiculate the techniques and concepts, and keep the attention. He seems a crossover between a cheesy martial arts master of the 80s movies and the bald Doc Evil from Austin Powers movies. <45>

I actually like the way he explains things (his DVDs helped my game a ton), but sometimes he says the dumbest things and gets a pass because he makes it look fancy.

Like his whole ''Most problems are static. Jiu-jitsu is a dynamic problem, you're trying to solve a problem that's trying to solve you'' (or something like that, paraphrasing). You know what else fits that description? Every competition ever. A badminton match. Chess. DOTA. Trying to catch a chicken Rocky style. You're trying to win or get something, and the other side wants to stop you and/or also gain something from you? Voila, dynamic problem. Just say it's fun to choke people you nerd.

ConsciousFluffyBangeltiger-max-1mb.gif

The ''a student is like a knife'' line was also atrocious.
Yeah he often frames his opinions as facts. He did it to joe on jre of course rogan ate it up

Being born and raised in a country with almost no black people and no real history of slavery (other then WW2 stuff like some of my ancestors being send to death camps for being Jewish or filthy russians murdering and starving others for the lols), my opinion on the MLK speeches would seriously offend a lot of Murikans.
lol i do hate how in usa lots of people pretend like they socially have so many evil issues. I wish to god they could be sent to saudi for a day

I subscribe to the philosophy that the smartest people use the least amount of words to convey the same message a less intelligent person would have taken more to.

Even at work the smartest people I ever met explain things simply and to the point . It's a sign of intelligence I always thought .

I subscribe to the philosophy that the smartest people use the least amount of words to convey the same message a less intelligent person would have taken more to.

Even at work the smartest people I ever met explain things simply and to the point . It's a sign of intelligence I always thought .

The thing with Danaher is that he often repeats things so it looks like he overexplains, but he's actually really good at pinpointing key concepts and defining them accurately. I get the hype, and he has helped my game a lot.

He's still fulll of shit for his ''BJJ is special because it's a dynamic problem'' shtick though :p

The thing with Danaher is that he often repeats things so it looks like he overexplains, but he's actually really good at pinpointing key concepts and defining them accurately. I get the hype, and he has helped my game a lot.

He's still fulll of shit for his ''BJJ is special because it's a dynamic problem'' shtick though :p

If you're someone who's majority of live experience is in the academic playpen though, it certainly can feel like 'most problems are static problems'.

Why? Because static problems are what you can put on test sheets, which you can grade by an abstract and automatizible metric, which are much easier for a hypothetical administrator to implement, and thus give himself and others the reassuring impression that competence is being measured, rather than more competitive and interactive means of ranking subjects by the same.

(And hence, being that much more trivial sorts of measures, but that is an other discussion.)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Víctor Hugo Teco
Back