Is moose the #2 mw all time?

Mousasi hasn' fought as many top fighters as Weidman has, despite having over 30 more fights.
Literally 50% of Weidman's fights have been against top 5 opponents.

And he's literally lost 50% of them.
That's also not to mention that, of the 50% he's won, all but the Gastelum fight were against fighters in their late 30's (Anderson, Machida and post TRT Vitor) and aside from Gastelum, he's been dummied by virtually every top 5 fighter he's faced who wasn't staring retirement in the mirror.

Look, i'm not disputing that Weidman had a good run, but realistically, i'm not sure i'd place him above Franklin even. When you look at Weidman's record as a whole, it's underwhelming to put it mildly.

Playa hater. Lol
Haha I try not to be, but I’ll admit I was never that sold on Weidman.
If we use the same criteria to determine a fighter’s prime, then Anderson, Vitor, and Lyoto would all be past their primes. That negates most of Weidman’s best wins.

Do you have statistics? Is Chris considered the #2?
tenor.gif

I remember when he said he didn’t really care for fighting and only cared about the money and lost to Lovato. It’s probably why he lost to Hall the first time and barely beat Machida

Moose has got to be the most overrated MW fighters in history. I'm not saying he sucked, because he didn't, but fucking Christ on a bike he just wasn't much more than a flash in a pan. Greatness lingers.

Gegard Mousasi is a flash in the pan?
reading-ikea-intructions-big-lebowski-confused.gif

Dude just lost the Middleweight belt in the 53rd fight of his career?

What does flash in a pan mean?
flash in the pan (plural flashes in the pan) (idiomatic) A transient occurrence with no long-term effect. The concept turned out to be merely a flash in the pan and is no longer used. (idiomatic) A career notable for early success not followed by significant accomplishment.

I can't justify putting him at #2, but I'll tell you what. If he loses to a Welterweight champ in May, he's going to have yet another thing in common with Bisping along with being a perennial top 10 guy, losing to mostly juiced fighters, having a few fights that could have gone either way, and beating up old men. The only thing he wont have in common with Bisping is Bisping's belt, and his one eye.

I've digested your words, and I want you to know that it's okay to admit that maybe you are biased, and that you really just enjoy Gegard's story as the GOAT Dark Horse in MMA. Similar to how a lot of people enjoy The Counts one eyed, last stand. Is Gegard top 5 ? For sure. Ranked just above Bisping? Maybe / probably. Could he be #2 in a bizarro world where he had more career IQ, stayed in the UFC and won the UFC belt so his super fans have ground to stand on when these arguments arise? The fact of the matter is we will never know for sure, because your argument will always come down to things that almost happened.

The longer he fights in Bellator while there are champs in the UFC, the more questions will arise, and the further his position on the GOAT ladder will slide. Right now the important questions that will never be answered are "Would he beat.... Bisping, GSP, Whittaker, and Adesanya?" Not to mention Romero or Costa. The only basis for your argument is a hypothetical yes . Unfortunately, that's not good enough for the history books.
I'll end the mousasi bisping part of this nice , straight and in delineate fashion.
( for record, oddsmsking my world and how I put food on table for wife and a pair of little bits). Gegard Mousasi is a 3-1 favorite over any version of Michael Bisping .....except the very end ( when welter gastelum was a -265 favorite- lol).Gegard would be a -550 favorite, lol.

These numbers do have meaning behind them .
Mousasi is an elite / one of the goats.
Bisping just isnt .period. PERIOD.

APPLES AND ORANGES. For educated mma fans - Michael Bisping was a solid middleweight fighter who always brought it and caught lightning in a bottle towards the end of his career. This was validated by his behavior and his final 3 fights after getting title.

He also avoided fighting Gegard Mousasi not once but twice .....including turning down a title fight to the #3 (at time) mousasi for no good reason. Mousasi earned his shot and Bisping " mousasi and bisping is bad for business ".... " I'm the champ and I call the shots".

What the fuck is that?
You can't make someone fight another person.

Huge Mous fan but he isn't #2 and he is definitely below Weidman all time

Gegard Mousasi is a flash in the pan?
reading-ikea-intructions-big-lebowski-confused.gif

Dude just lost the Middleweight belt in the 53rd fight of his career?
And for people who want to be honest - Gegard beat up Lovato and deserved to walk away from London with that title. The 5th degree 205 sized black belt defensively grappled his way to 2 of 5 rounds ( 1st and 5th).
The judging in that fight was a disgrace.
That guy is just flat out dumb cause Gegard Mousasi is the only MMA fighter in history to be ranked champ to top 10 for 14 years straight/still running.

Nobody can lay that claim. Nobody. ....and to make it more crazy, hes 34 and looks like hes 29.
It's called having fight IQ through the clouds.

Greatest MWs:
#1 Anderson Silva
#2 Robert Whittaker
#3 Israel Adesanya
#4 Yoel Romero
#5 Chris Weidman​

Best MWs:
#1 Yoel Romero
#2 Robert Whittaker
#3 Israel Adesanya
#4 Anderson Silva
#5 Jacare Souza​

No place for Moose here IMO.

moose lifted his hands off the mat before the knee. chris wasnt downed.
giphy.gif

but yeah imo chris was tired and fading and new it
Chris was never the same after he fought Rockhold. They were both never the same afterward lol.

I think most would put Chris #2 but if you look at the body of work gegard has to be pretty close if not higher than Weidman all time based on sheer volume of wins against legit comp and some very high level wins as well.
This entire thread is a disaster. I don't know how you could have moose or Chris reasonably as number 2.

He's top 3 in my book, one of the most under-rated fighters of all time.

And for people who want to be honest - Gegard beat up Lovato and deserved to walk away from London with that title. The 5th degree 205 sized black belt defensively grappled his way to 2 of 5 rounds ( 1st and 5th).
The judging in that fight was a disgrace.
That guy is just flat out dumb cause Gegard Mousasi is the only MMA fighter in history to be ranked champ to top 10 for 14 years straight/still running.

Nobody can lay that claim. Nobody. ....and to make it more crazy, hes 34 and looks like hes 29.
It's called having fight IQ through the clouds.

can't take you seriously

Never beat any elite middleweights in the UFC, ever. And fuck off with the Weidman win, he was already past his prime. And even then he looked like shit. Mousasi is frustrating because, on paper, he should beat the shit out of most middleweights. But... Machida<45>
Jacare:eek:
Just wish he stayed a bit longer. Really wanted to see what he's made of. Also would have loved to see him beat the fuck out of Rockhold and also how he fares against romero, Whittaker and even style bender. But from what we have seen. No definitely not number two.

Damn the Chris had a short prime lol.

Gegard been around Longer took less damage and still fighting

Huge Mous fan but he isn't #2 and he is definitely below Weidman all time
You're a huge moose fan ?
How can u possibly say that ?
Chris is no Bisping ....that I'll give.Chris makes the all time list but hes further down. He happen to be the one standing opposite Anderson when silvas ticket was to be punched . He did have 3 defenses but let's put this in perspective. 2nd Anderson win was freakish( yes- he checked but NO ONE knew that was coming). He was A HEAVY FAVORITE agsinst past it vitor . Machida was a solid win. Rockhold put it on him. Yoel caught him and when the 2nd round of mousasi weidman went down, Christopher Weidman never found himself so outclassed on the feet in his rather short career . Longevity counts.
He was never a fringe top ten like bisping but he just falls short here.

In hindsight, so many things can be seen so clearly.
I dont understand how difficult it is for some.

Anderson Silva is #1 obviously, so let's get that out of the way.

Now we are talking: Lyoto Machida, Rich Franklin, Dan Henderson, Chris Weidman, Luke Rockhold, Yoel Romero, Izzy Adensanya, Vitor I guess, Evan Tanner not really, etc.

Not too many stud names, but I don't think you can definitively call Mousasi better than any of those guys, so no. Ultimately when you never when a UFC belt in your division, win a Bellator belt only defend it once and lose it, while beating a lot of washed up names in the UFC on top of it...

No.
He beat Chris weidman but you cant call him better? Lol. He has a better resume than everyone on that list by far. Also he KO'd hendo in the 1st round, I know Hendo was old as shit, but still. The delusion in this thread is actually crazy

can't take you seriously
Remember- this was for mma world title.
This wasnt a grappling event
Did you watch fight ?
Do u own glasses ?

I cant take u seriously. What's sad is that Gegard knew he was so much the superior fighter, he was more concerned with lovatos size and nipple size than the actual scorecards.

He beat Chris weidman but you cant call him better? Lol. He has a better resume than everyone on that list by far. Also he KO'd hendo in the 1st round, I know Hendo was old as shit, but still. The delusion in this thread is actually crazy
....and thst same hendo ( lol, except 3 years older) beat up bisping .. again.

Moose then bisping. No one else had the balls to fight PED free.

A lot of people beat Anderson Silva too, doesn't mean they are better. Weidman clearly fell off fast and got washed up fast. Mousasi never reached the same peak, nor did I even state that Weidman was the clear 2nd best ever.

Back