Media Tony Ferguson's one of the best strikers in MMA history with more tools than anyone else

Pious Augustus

Born With Thick Skin
Pink
Reaction score
Just look at this magic, the way he avoids, slip and duck under the opponent's strikes inside the pocket is truly amazing, just look at the uppercut at the end, I've never seen anything like this in MMA

tenor.gif

Conor would box rings around that slow sloppy style.

Tony’s footwork is horrendous, just look at how often he’s been dropped.He usually “outclasses” guys after they’re already dead tired due to his pressure and resilience.

His creativity and ability to improvise and flow is definitely elite. He's a very, very special, unique, and complete fighter. I would not put him in the category as "one of the best strikers in MMA history" though.

Offensively maybe when discussing effectiveness however as an overall striker no.

Love me some Tony Time Though

He has good defense not the best, but good. He is good at rolling with the punches and slippong shots

He's not sharp, so his striking is deceptively average looking when it comes to straights etc. But its effective, and diverse.

His creativity and ability to improvise and flow is definitely elite. He's a very, very special, unique, and complete fighter. I would not put him in the category as "one of the best strikers in MMA history" though.

Its hard to put him in any box because he's so unique.

A fair criticism of Tony is that his DEFENSE is lacking. I don't think its that he's lacking the actual skill or physical attributes to have good defense, he just doesn't prioritize it.

Everyone very familiar with the sport will come to the conclusion that Tony has elite striking skills if you watch 10 of his fights in a row. No doubt he's willing to enter 50/50 exchanges and take big risks, but that is part of his overall package.

Considering he's on a historic run, arguably the greatest strength of schedule in the history of the lightweight division. Even if you put Khabib's run ahead of him, that would mean Tony is the clear #2 best run in UFC lightweight history.

Tony is sloppy ... he isn’t a top 20 ufc striker of all time

There's a difference between being effective and being a great striker. Tony is the perfect example of that.

Lol I hope people do realise that it's his awkward style is what makes Ferguson so extremely hard to deal with. He's also deceptively hard to hit, I never imagined Cowboy would have such a hard time to land. Tony made him miss a lot and made him pay, and this was the Cerrone that was on a roll just coming off destroying Hernandez and Iaquinta.

Back