Media Tony Ferguson's one of the best strikers in MMA history with more tools than anyone else

His creativity and ability to improvise and flow is definitely elite. He's a very, very special, unique, and complete fighter. I would not put him in the category as "one of the best strikers in MMA history" though.
Tony is a very very very special athlete HONESTLY

Tony has great pace and a big striking arsenal . However his defense kinda sucks and the punches he throws can be predictable. We have all seen him get countered in fights, repeatedly. Maybe it's just him being so wild that opens him up to being countered. IDK.

My favorite fight from Tony is the one with RDA. His offense/defense was perfect.
If Tony works on his TDD he will be Unstoppable

I love Tony, but he get's knocked down too much to be one of the best strikers

gLsPiV4.gif

QQoCkmE.gif

FYO06Lj.gif

Tony's wide arsenal comes from training like a maniac. But him like Swanson had too many moves to have an effective style. The most effective striking styles don't consist of 100 moves, but a couple of things done exceptionally. The hardest thing to do well in striking is defense, where he lacks.

maybe one of the most effective. But he gets hit way too much and dropped in every fight almost. It’s going to catch up to him

There's that but there's also the fact that people are afraid to take him down and that he does not care where the fight takes place.
He's what we can call unorthodox and that makes him unpredictable.
But i agree that technically he has huge flaws. The thing is, except a flash knockout (which is hard cause he seems to have a great chin), his opponents can't exploit these flaws because of his pace and his almost frightening mindset. I think cardio plays a huge factor here, of course. And it needs to be pointed out.
Is this a joke post? Tony gets dropped nearly every fight because of his technical flaws. There is no hiding from technical flaws or from lack of fundamentals. Tony wins IN MMA because grappling is involved, where Tony wins the majority of his big fights (on the ground).

Its hard to put him in any box because he's so unique.

A fair criticism of Tony is that his DEFENSE is lacking. I don't think its that he's lacking the actual skill or physical attributes to have good defense, he just doesn't prioritize it.

Everyone very familiar with the sport will come to the conclusion that Tony has elite striking skills if you watch 10 of his fights in a row. No doubt he's willing to enter 50/50 exchanges and take big risks, but that is part of his overall package.

Considering he's on a historic run, arguably the greatest strength of schedule in the history of the lightweight division. Even if you put Khabib's run ahead of him, that would mean Tony is the clear #2 best run in UFC lightweight history.
Excellent post, couldn’t agree more.

<LynchWink>

Tony is highly capable and creative fighter who knows how to adjust to his opponent. High fight IQ, and relentless cardio and pressure.

He would wear Conor down and eventually submit him.

Is this a joke post? Tony gets dropped nearly every fight because of his technical flaws. There is no hiding from technical flaws or from lack of fundamentals. Tony wins IN MMA because grappling is involved, where Tony wins the majority of his big fights (on the ground).

Tony wins because he’s an elite skilled mma fighter dude, get over it.
And get Khabib’s or Conor’s tool outta your butthole while you’re at it.
Nobody likes bias dickriders here.

A fair criticism of Tony is that his DEFENSE is lacking. I don't think its that he's lacking the actual skill or physical attributes to have good defense, he just doesn't prioritize it.

Everyone very familiar with the sport will come to the conclusion that Tony has elite striking skills if you watch 10 of his fights in a row. No doubt he's willing to enter 50/50 exchanges and take big risks, but that is part of his overall package.

Considering he's on a historic run, arguably the greatest strength of schedule in the history of the lightweight division. Even if you put Khabib's run ahead of him, that would mean Tony is the clear #2 best run in UFC lightweight history.

Agreed. He is effective and creative.

This man knows his mma.

It’s appalling to see so many sherdoggers posting when they don’t know shizz.

Tony is a fighter who accepts he’ll be hit as long as he gets his hits in, too. It’s part of his approach. THAT’S HOW HE FIGHTS.

And it’s obviously been working, as the man is on a 12 fight win streak with 5 SCHEDULED FIGHTS against Khabib. And now is presumably fighting for his SECOND interim title.

Back