Media Remember when Dan Severn was ready to whoop a bunch of wrasslers?

Severn being beaten by several guys and then dumped out on his ass, fired, and possibly even sued, would've been the far more likely outcome.

If Dan was actually gonna shoot on anyone, the time to do it would've been with the Rock at King of the Ring in 1998. Not that it would've been a great idea then either.

This whole thing makes Dan come off so bad anyway.
I remember when one of the nasty boys ran into the royal rumble,and he was so hyped up he just started throwin live rounds at everyone,and the entire ring of wrestlers all jumped him a little bit to calm him down.

No doubt dan is a tough guy,but he isnt going to beat up 5 or 6 wrestlers at once. He hasnt the viciousness you would need for that sort of thing. Whenever someones in trouble the wrestlers all bound together.

Its not the first kind of stupid statement Dan has said anyway.

It's plausible, sure. It doesn't really make Dan look that great though. He knew what the rules were before the first fight. He really had to actually be in there before he realized that wearing fucking boxing gloves was going to hamper his ability to do takedowns?

I think it's more plausible that management, who really didn't know anything about actual fighting, didn't realize that Dan would very likely win, in very boring fashion, and once they did, pulled him out.

But it's all water under the bridge.
Well let me say it wasnt ever a good idea to enter it in the first place.

Well let me say it wasnt ever a good idea to enter it in the first place.

The whole thing was a bad idea. It's pretty much universally called a bad idea by everyone involved. Except for Vince McMahon, actually. I'm not sure if Vince himself has ever commented on it. Although, it has recently come out that he wanted to do it again a few years later as part of one of the early NXT competitions.

I think it's funny that Dan thinks he wouldn't have got his ass kicked in this situation.

Ken Shamrock was in WWF at the time... That's just one guy on the roster alone tough enough to fight him for real.

They could have also just sent the whole roster out to beat his ass rather quickly.

I was a huge fan of Severn during the SEG days but he was legit one of the worst pro wrestlers ever. Absolutely no personality and boring as hell in the ring.

The whole thing was a bad idea. It's pretty much universally called a bad idea by everyone involved. Except for Vince McMahon, actually. I'm not sure if Vince himself has ever commented on it. Although, it has recently come out that he wanted to do it again a few years later as part of one of the early NXT competitions.
Yeah im sure vince isnt going to comment on it,hahahah.
Yes I know its obviously a bad idea,but its even more stupid that he entered. It wound up doing nothing for him,or anyone.

Yeah because he was clearly holding back.

I remember when I first heard Dan's story about how he could've won, but didn't want to kill Royce, I immediately thought back to the old days, and all of the kung fu and other too-deadly-for-the-ring types that I had to listen to say that they could never enter the UFC because they could easily kill every other fighter with their mastery of secret deadly techniques. And that made me very sad, because Dan Severn actually is a tough, skilled guy, and he should be way above that.

But hey, we see to this day that it's very hard for many fighters to just say, "Well, the other guy was just a little bit better than me."

Last edited:
I remember when I first Dan's story about how he could've won, but didn't want to kill Royce, I immediately thought back to the old days, and all of the kung fu and other too-deadly-for-the-ring types that I had to listen to say that they could never enter the UFC because they could easily kill every other fighter with their mastery of secret deadly techniques. And that made me very sad, because Dan Severn actually is a tough, skilled guy, and he should be way above that.

But hey, we see to this day that it's very hard for many fighters to just say, "Well, the other guy was just a little bit better than me."
Yeah i mean,just cos he is full of shit dont mean i gotta hate on it every time. I mean,driven athletes have to do this to themselves to keep it goin. Its hard to come back time in time out after an ass kickin or a loss.

I was a huge fan of Severn during the SEG days but he was legit one of the worst pro wrestlers ever. Absolutely no personality and boring as hell in the ring.

Y'know, earlier when I said Dan was a bad fit for the WWE and he did better elsewhere, I almost said that it was a shame shoot-style wrestling never took off in the US like it did in Japan because Dan would've been well-suited to that. But then I remembered that Dan did do shoot-style wrestling in Japan and really wasn't that good at that either.

Unlike Shamrock, or Sakuraba, who were both really great at it.

Y'know, early when I said Dan was a bad fit for the WWE and he did better elsewhere, I almost said that it was a shame shoot-style wrestling never took off in the US like it did in Japan because Dan would've been well-suited to that. But then I remembered that Dan did do shoot-style wrestling in Japan and really wasn't that great at that either.

Unlike Shamrock, or Sakuraba, who were both really great at it.
Not everyone is cut out for Puroresu.

Not everyone is cut out for Puroresu.

I think probably 70s NWA or Japan would've been the only good fit for Dan Severn in pro wrestling. I could actually see him having matches with Jack Brisco and Dory Funk or the Destroyer and not being out of place.

I think probably 70s NWA or Japan would've been the only good fit for Dan Severn in pro wrestling. I could actually see him having matches with Jack Brisco and Dory Funk or the Destroyer and not being out of place.
I kind of miss how pro wrestling was done,when it wasnt live every week. You had time to develop a good storyline,and have it unfold,instead of being forced to shit out content every second.

I mean,i guess i could go on for hours about how shitty the product is now. Ill always have a soft spot in my heart for good pro wrestling though.

I kind of miss how pro wrestling was done,when it wasnt live every week. You had time to develop a good storyline,and have it unfold,instead of being forced to shit out content every second.

I mean,i guess i could go on for hours about how shitty the product is now. Ill always have a soft spot in my heart for good pro wrestling though.

Yeah, me too. But yes, there's way too much to keep up with now. But the pandemic has provided a good opportunity for some binge watching of old favorites. I did an old pro wrestling stretch in between my classic Simpsons stretch and my 80s action movies stretch.

Yeah, me too. But yes, there's way too much to keep up with now. But the pandemic has provided a good opportunity for some binge watching of old favorites. I did an old pro wrestling stretch in between my classic Simpsons stretch and my 80s action movies stretch.
I like listening to Kayfabe commentaries,and Hannibal interviews and Cornette's rants about the good old days. I live in the past!!!

I like listening to Kayfabe commentaries,and Hannibal interviews and Cornette's rants about the good old days. I live in the past!!!

I did some Cornette binging too. Did you ever see the ICP YouShoot? It's probably the most fun interview I've ever seen from two people I couldn't care less about.

I did some Cornette binging too. Did you ever see the ICP YouShoot? It's probably the most fun interview I've ever seen from two people I couldn't care less about.
Yeah I watched it. They are always a good interview for what its worth. Funny guys.

Yeah I watched it. They are always a good interview for what its worth. Funny guys.

I've never cared for their music, other than their cover of Let's Go All the Way, but I came out of that thinking that Violent Jay seems like he would actually be a lot of fun to be around.

I've never cared for their music, other than their cover of Let's Go All the Way, but I came out of that thinking that Violent Jay seems like he would actually be a lot of fun to be around.
I wasnt really into their music. I got into them due to that stranglemania VHS they put out in '95. For years me and my friends worshipped that tape

Dan is the man. Shame that he jobbed on Brawl for All though but he and Blackman probably got a fat check for losing to JBL. Thank god JBL got knocked the fuck out in the final <Lmaoo>
That didn't happen. Severn beat the Godfather and then pulled out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sosadus
Back