Media Remember when Dan Severn was ready to whoop a bunch of wrasslers?

Dude. He's not a gangster for this. He's talking about attacking untrained guys, most of whom he admits had a friendly, respectful relationship with him, while they would have been attempting to co-operate with him and not defending themselves.

He's a gangster because he beat tough guys who actually knew they were in a fight. For this, had he done it, he would've been a jerk who was upset that he didn't do well in the WWE. Which is a legit gripe, but not at all the fault of his co-workers.

His point wasn’t about hurting people it was about fucking up the whole system for being forced into doing something he didn’t want to do.

you couldn't be any more off on this

WWF was far from unknown in 1997 - it was actually probably it's peak in terms of popularity

and what you mentioned about the other crossovers is correct, but it worked AGAINST him - shamrock got all the push and attention and the other guys got lost in the shuffle

CURRENTLY , the UFC is MASSIVELY more popular and main stream and having a former champion is much more of a big deal

When did I say WWF was unknown? It was huge throughout 80's and 90's, peaking in the late 80's Hulkamania and agan in the late 90's with attitude era, right when Severn was in there. So WWF was far bigger then than it is now.

It was also far more relevant than it ever can be now, since there was no UFC for comparison so it still had a 'reality' vibe to it with crossover from Tyson etc.

So Severn was in in the biggest era of pro wrestling when it mattered. It doesn't matter that the UFC was largely unknown, he came in with Shamrock who was a star and he also held the NWA strap which carried some weight.

Cain in meantime barely lasted 6 months and is clearly a guinee for Lesnar that's all.
Pro wrestling is beyond a joke now and of no relevance. Cain is likewise unknown to the mainstream largely since he has been out of action so isn't even active fighter when he crossed over unlike Severn who was active in MMA and a champion also wearing the UFC belt to the ring.

If u need any more proof,the biggest star of WCW at the time credited Severn as his inspiration for his MMA character.

I remember when I first heard Dan's story about how he could've won, but didn't want to kill Royce, I immediately thought back to the old days, and all of the kung fu and other too-deadly-for-the-ring types that I had to listen to say that they could never enter the UFC because they could easily kill every other fighter with their mastery of secret deadly techniques. And that made me very sad, because Dan Severn actually is a tough, skilled guy, and he should be way above that.

But hey, we see to this day that it's very hard for many fighters to just say, "Well, the other guy was just a little bit better than me."

People don't like to hear the truth...
A world class wrestler with 70 pounds on his opponent was thinking of elbowing him into a coma and worries that the guy wouldn't quit but get hurt.
Who would've thought it could actually be very possible

People don't like to hear the truth...
A world class wrestler with 70 pounds on his opponent was thinking of elbowing him into a coma and worries that the guy wouldn't quit but get hurt.
Who would've thought it could actually be very possible

The coma part probably isn't that likely. McCarthy specifically lobbied for the ability to stop fights, and there's no reason to believe he wouldn't have done so if Dan was hammering Royce. Certainly I think he'd have done so before Royce literally died.

I think the truth is the obvious. A world class wrestler with a 70 pound weight advantage lost because the other guy knew more submissions.

His point wasn’t about hurting people it was about fucking up the whole system for being forced into doing something he didn’t want to do.

He wasn't actually forced to do anything though. From listening to him tell the story, and I've heard him tell it a few times in a few different interviews over the years, it seems the point he was trying to prove would've been, "Hey I could actually win if I wanted to."

If he wanted to shock the system, maybe he should've shot on Vince McMahon. Although neither of the other guys who attacked Vince succeeded in changing anything.

They had reason to be worried when they booked him the Brawl for All, because under the rules he could've legitimately won it, which is why they wisely took him out after the first match. See above as to what would have happened if he tried something in a multi-man match like the Royal Rumble.

Then again, as someone already posted, Dan also apparently believed that he only lost to Royce because he personally wasn't willing to commit murder. I think his Royal Rumble fantasy booking should be taken with a grain of salt.

I'm pretty sure Severn dropped out under his own volition. He thought that if he had ended up losing, it would damage his rep. And If I'm not mistaken, he looked like shit in his only fight in Brawl for All.

I'm pretty sure Severn dropped out under his own volition. He thought that if he had ended up losing, it would damage his rep. And If I'm not mistaken, he looked like shit in his only fight in Brawl for All.

This is my memory of it too. But, in all fairness to Dan, I remember the rules being so fucky with that thing. I vividly remember them standing the fight up everytime Dan scored a TD, and I don't even think GNP or elbows were allowed.

This is my memory of it too. But, in all fairness to Dan, I remember the rules being so fucky with that thing. I vividly remember them standing the fight up everytime Dan scored a TD, and I don't even think GNP or elbows were allowed.

Yeah, I think you're right.

No groundwork at all, no submissions. It was boxing with takedowns.

I'm sure a good amount of you have heard this story and prolly read it on this forum before but fuck it.

In short: Severn was with the WWF and transitioned over to being a pro wrestler. After being a no-nonsense type of babyface the company wanted to turn him into some type of Satanist heel. That included having "666" written on his forehead. Before they even finished pitching that idea to Mr. Severn, he told them it aint happening. Reason being Severn is from a small town in the US and doesn't want any repercussions against his family, businesses or himself. This was in the 90s and in terms of pro wrestling, the lines between fiction and reality were rather blurry.

Of course, the WWF then threatened with having Severn lose matches and job to nobodies. Dan Severns response? - "Where does it say on my contract I have to lose to anybody? What if I walk into your world of fantasy and turn fantasy into reality? Which one of your so-called stars [...] am I going to make look pretty darn silly out there?"

With the Royal Rumble coming up ('99) Severn legitimately thought about not exiting the ring like he is supposed to but actually beating up every dude who comes into that ring every 90 seconds live on PPV. Even though the WWF might get him out with a huge number of guys, the damage would've been done and he pretty much ruined the way they do business. Severn could've pitched that idea to rival company WCW and gotten a handsome payment for his troubles. There was no need for that though since Severn and the WWF worked things out and released him (on his own request) with a pretty fat check as it seems.

Say what you want about how he wanted to do things but goddamn thats some real badassery right there. According to his Wikipedia page, the guys in the locker-room were legitimately scared of Severn and referred to him as "Mr.Severn" and tried to avoid him.
always get a smile when I see Severyn ((and think about Tank's comments lol)) and actually do like the guy...

but hes talking complete nonsense here, even if all was as he says....he would have a much easier time manhandling a handful of small town folk than 29 juiced up wrestlers in a row.....

in a sense its hypocritical though....he was going to bring reality to fantasy? by fighting 29wrestlers in a row that are coming in every 30seconds? thats a fantasy.....the reality is ....hes worried about a few small town drunk dudes because in reality...there is no ring, no scripts....in reality there is no cage, no ref, no rules....

I get what hes saying .... but it is what it is....

Severn is such a badass. Good for him standing up for his idealz. Would've been too fooking cool to see him go full reality on the fake wrestlers, but they would've been innocents where-as Dan's beef was with management.

Dan Severn is one of the most overrated pieces of shit in all combat sports. This guy wouldn't sniff the top 20 today and was an absolutely dreadful pro wrestler.

He also barely squeaked by winning a decision over 6'8" 320 lb godfather. The boxing gloves made severns takedowns more difficult to use and i think he realized there was too much risk vs reward to continue in the tournament.

According to their own rules Severn lost that fight too. This supposedly big bad ass looked like a fucking joke. Always has and always will.

Dan Severn was a terrible fit for the WWE. He did better elsewhere.

Also, I think he's really overestimating the amount of damage he could have really done to anyone in the Royal Rumble, considering the unique layout of that match.

You don't think he could have thrown everyone out of the ring?

Dan is the man. Shame that he jobbed on Brawl for All though but he and Blackman probably got a fat check for losing to JBL. Thank god JBL got knocked the fuck out in the final <Lmaoo>

Neither of them fought Bradshaw?

Severn won the his first round match then pulled out and Blackman got injured and withdrew.

You don't think he could have thrown everyone out of the ring?
Hed get beat up as soon as people figured out hes not cooperating.

Yeah because he was clearly holding back.

Don’t get me wrong Mr. Dildos, I hespec Dan as an MMA pioneer and a guy that had a legit skillset perhaps ahead of his time, but you have to admit that he’s been known to spin a yarn from time to time. Who the hell enters a fighting tourney and decides they don’t want to hurt the other guy?

Good luck with that dan, he would get fucking wrecked if he tried that. He entered the brawl for all and looked so terrible in the first round that he quit the tournament to avoid further embarrassment.

Good luck with that dan, he would get fucking wrecked if he tried that. He entered the brawl for all and looked so terrible in the first round that he quit the tournament to avoid further embarrassment.
Theres probably something in their contracts that should very much deter them from ever pulling some shit like that

Back