UFC Fight Night 172 Eye vs. Calvillo

Benoit is the one out of the Tyson Nam fight. Elliott was meant to be replacement, but medical suspension means he isn't allowed to fight

Annoying since it's one of the few fights with not shit odds

Guys, we get it, it's a terrible card. WMMA sucks. Now with that being said, if you're reading this, you most likely are here to ultimately make money. So it's time to make the donuts!
Can't say I love anyone on this card yet, had a bet on Benoit but wasn't super confident. I already bet a few FDNGTD including a parlay of the first two fights Ivy/ Aguilera and Minner/ Griffin. I also think Avila will probably finish Mazany but may as well take the FDNGTD.

I'm hesitant on Aguilar taking the fight on short notice. Not sure how much he has been training since that KO loss.
Wasn't really KO'd tbf. Got hit with some hard shots and clearly wasn't really there, but it definitely wasn't lights out

Wasn't really KO'd tbf. Got hit with some hard shots and clearly wasn't really there, but it definitely wasn't lights out
Yeah I've definitely seen worse chins, just meant the recent stoppage was a concern. Wondering how much conditioning work he will have coming in on short notice. Rosa has been the more active recently if you can call his last fight activity.

Looks like Aguilera was rocking the wolfman look until a few days ago. Hope he has spent more time on his cardio than his hair care.

I think Eye is actually getting a lot of love because of her #1 rank while Cynthia is #10

I think Cynthia is improving, has a better team, and Jessica Eye has just stagnated in her development as a fighter. Going with Calvillo by decision because Eyes striking and grappling is rudimentary compared to calvillos

Trying to justify a play on maz by dec +575. Think the line is wide.

but Avila and her secret panda sauce is going to be hard for mazany to overcome over 3 rounds. Even if she can get her down I don’t think she can hold her there. Mazany wears down in these clinch heavy battles and Avila will probably have more juice left-pun intended

Last edited:
I think Eye is actually getting a lot of love because of her #1 rank while Cynthia is #10

I think Cynthia is improving, has a better team, and Jessica Eye has just stagnated in her development as a fighter. Going with Calvillo by decision because Eyes striking and grappling is rudimentary compared to calvillos

What improvements in her striking has Cynthia shown exactly? Eye's striking is "rudimentary" compared to Calvillo's? What?

I swore I wasn't gonna dig into this card much at all but you made me watch Calvillo/Rodriguez because I thought maybe I was losing my mind. Nope. Cynthia is probably the better grappler than Eye. At least, her TD's are good. Her guard passing is all or nothing, she either gets to a better position or completely loses top control and let's her opponent easily get back to her feet. That's not awful for WMMA honestly, just means she has no feel for when to adjust her weight back and ensure she retains top control. Can't hate on her too much for that, pretty common in WMMA.

But her striking...dear God. Please tell me what you were watching that would ever make you think she's better than Eye standing. Marina can be tricky to navigate obviously due to her length and slick work in the clinch. But standing, Calvillo just looked utterly lost most of the time. Low volume, with the strikes she did throw being weak leg kicks more times than not. Porous defense which consisted of either backing straight up, dropping her face parallel to the mat (which resulted in her eating multiple big knees), or shelling up and allowing Marina to blast body shots with no worry about the threat of return fire.

I already thought Eye probably had a decent edge in the standup, after rewatching that I think that edge is even greater. Calvillo's grappling is a factor for sure, but for you to claim her standup is better...no clue how you got there.

What improvements in her striking has Cynthia shown exactly? Eye's striking is "rudimentary" compared to Calvillo's? What?

I swore I wasn't gonna dig into this card much at all but you made me watch Calvillo/Rodriguez because I thought maybe I was losing my mind. Nope. Cynthia is probably the better grappler than Eye. At least, her TD's are good. Her guard passing is all or nothing, she either gets to a better position or completely loses top control and let's her opponent easily get back to her feet. That's not awful for WMMA honestly, just means she has no feel for when to adjust her weight back and ensure she retains top control. Can't hate on her too much for that, pretty common in WMMA.

But her striking...dear God. Please tell me what you were watching that would ever make you think she's better than Eye standing. Marina can be tricky to navigate obviously due to her length and slick work in the clinch. But standing, Calvillo just looked utterly lost most of the time. Low volume, with the strikes she did throw being weak leg kicks more times than not. Porous defense which consisted of either backing straight up, dropping her face parallel to the mat (which resulted in her eating multiple big knees), or shelling up and allowing Marina to blast body shots with no worry about the threat of return fire.

I already thought Eye probably had a decent edge in the standup, after rewatching that I think that edge is even greater. Calvillo's grappling is a factor for sure, but for you to claim her standup is better...no clue how you got there.
Ok, what I kinda meant was that it’s pretty point and clear what Jessica eye is going to do on the feet and on the ground... Calvillo still is very young in her mma career with this being her 10th pro fight while this is almost Jessica’s 25th or 30th. I need to watch more film on Cynthia to confidently say that her striking is better then Jessica’s, but off the dome I give the speed/reflex advantage to Cynthia.

At first I was on Jessica due to her cardio/experience, but Cynthia is less predictable and I can confidently say that Cynthia is going to dominate the fight if this hits the ground (considering that she won’t be gassed to the gills, but Cynthia pulling off a 10-8 after getting battered for two rounds showed me she’s got the DOG in her, Marina was like a -2000ish favorite going into the 3rd lol). I also think that Cynthia had a bad weight cut in that fight because it was at 115, but she should be the more live fighter in the early rounds this time as it’s at 125.

Ok, what I kinda meant was that it’s pretty point and clear what Jessica eye is going to do on the feet and on the ground... Calvillo still is very young in her mma career with this being her 10th pro fight while this is almost Jessica’s 25th or 30th. I need to watch more film on Cynthia to confidently say that her striking is better then Jessica’s, but off the dome I give the speed/reflex advantage to Cynthia.

At first I was on Jessica due to her cardio/experience, but Cynthia is less predictable and I can confidently say that Cynthia is going to dominate the fight if this hits the ground (considering that she won’t be gassed to the gills, but Cynthia pulling off a 10-8 after getting battered for two rounds showed me she’s got the DOG in her, Marina was like a -2000ish favorite going into the 3rd lol). I also think that Cynthia had a bad weight cut in that fight because it was at 115, but she should be the more live fighter in the early rounds this time as it’s at 125.

Well...you should watch some more tape. I agree that Calvillo has some things going for her with her grappling. Specifically her timing and drive on TD's is very good. She's aggressive and if she gets to a dominant spot she knows what to do. Can't say that for most WMMA fighters. And I agree, she has no quit in her even if she's tired.

But her striking is levels below Eye from what I've seen. Whatever speed edge she might have is negligible and doesn't matter because of her other glaring flaws. But...I grant that she is young and there's at least a chance (small imo but there) that we see a huge leap forward with her striking.

In the end, the value is still on the better striker with better cardio in a 5 rounder at current odds. I wouldn't pay big juice on Eye, but at near evens she's the bet imo.

Well...you should watch some more tape. I agree that Calvillo has some things going for her with her grappling. Specifically her timing and drive on TD's is very good. She's aggressive and if she gets to a dominant spot she knows what to do. Can't say that for most WMMA fighters. And I agree, she has no quit in her even if she's tired.

But her striking is levels below Eye from what I've seen. Whatever speed edge she might have is negligible and doesn't matter because of her other glaring flaws. But...I grant that she is young and there's at least a chance (small imo but there) that we see a huge leap forward with her striking.

In the end, the value is still on the better striker with better cardio in a 5 rounder at current odds. I wouldn't pay big juice on Eye, but at near evens she's the bet imo.
Yeah.

Odd fight in my opinion. Eye should win the minutes pretty clearly, but Calvillo's probably more likely to look dominant if she does win since it'll probably be a fairly early submission.

So agapova is 7cm taller than Hill, that height difference is really gonna look comical! Agapova is taller than Cortni Casey for example. I think even without cutting weight Cifers will weigh in 5 lbs below the weight limit.

What do we think about Espinoza V De la Rosa? Deffs value on Rosa in my opinion. Should be a pickem.

What do we think about Espinoza V De la Rosa? Deffs value on Rosa in my opinion. Should be a pickem.
Rosa is the worst fighter in flyweight. He had a split against Jobby Sanchez !!!
Im happy to bet Espinoza at this odds , he should be like -900

Rosa is the worst fighter in flyweight. He had a split against Jobby Sanchez !!!
Im happy to bet Espinoza at this odds , he should be like -900
What makes him the worst fighter in this division?

As in what is it about him that makes him so inept?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
john_k47
Back