Buying my first gun(s)

Don’t buy a beretta. Their overpriced super mediocre firearms.

I like the PCC idea, honestly. And I think the entire market is going to start shifting toward PCCs. They’re kind of the “do-it-all” firearms.

I’m not sure of your budget. But the 3 I would look at are the CZ Scorpion, PSA AKV, and the Sig MPX.
I carried one to work everyday. Hardly “mediocre.” Shitty magazines, improperly cleaned (because I didn’t have an assigned weapon, so who knows who cleaned it last), etc, and I only ever had one failure to fire at the range. I know Glocks are all the rage, but I trusted the Beretta with my life, and still would.

I carried one to work everyday. Hardly “mediocre.” Shitty magazines, improperly cleaned (because I didn’t have an assigned weapon, so who knows who cleaned it last), etc, and I only ever had one failure to fire at the range. I know Glocks are all the rage, but I trusted the Beretta with my life, and still would.
In a vacuum, sure, they can be fine and reliable pistols. In the market today, with countless options of vastly better guns at lower price points from almost every major manufacturer? They’re the epitome of mediocre.

I have a 9mm High Point carbine. It's great since it shares ammo with my pistol.

It's like $275 and really a fun gun to shoot. Would recommend.

87dc2fcc65aa3c029b44e81f43bf782e.gif

There's a reason why Glocks are on nearly every police force. They have a better reliability rate than Berettas. They are lighter than Beretta's. They have more aftermarket options than Berettas. And they cost less than Berettas.

Do yourself a favor. Buy a nice Glock 19 and back it up with one of the ubiquitous number of 9mm PCC's that take Glock mags. I myself have a tandem of a Glock 26 with a Ruger PC Carbine with a Glock adapter. My Ruger will spit out 9mm hollow points at .357 velocities at home defense distances. With an AR15 backup in case I need to extend the fight out further.

Hey 92 is a great choice. What's your budget for AR? Radical Firearms is a great entry with affordable prices all across the board. Regarding PCC, are you a good shot? If you're confident with your aim, a pistol and AR are all you need. Also a shotgun is better to fill the panic shot role in close encounters than PCC.

Last edited:
There's a reason why Glocks are on nearly every police force. They have a better reliability rate than Berettas. They are lighter than Beretta's. They have more aftermarket options than Berettas. And they cost less than Berettas.

Do yourself a favor. Buy a nice Glock 19 and back it up with one of the ubiquitous number of 9mm PCC's that take Glock mags. I myself have a tandem of a Glock 26 with a Ruger PC Carbine with a Glock adapter. My Ruger will spit out 9mm hollow points at .357 velocities at home defense distances. With an AR15 backup in case I need to extend the fight out further.
It's also nice to have the option of using 15, 17, or 33 round mags in the Glock 19 and PCC.

So I should go out and buy a weapon that I’m completely unfamiliar with, and then need to take time to familiarize myself with it, rather than a weapon I can take down and put back together in my sleep? Keep in mind, I’m talking about buying my FIRST gun. Seems to make more sense to buy something I already know.

So I should go out and buy a weapon that I’m completely unfamiliar with, and then need to take time to familiarize myself with it, rather than a weapon I can take down and put back together in my sleep? Keep in mind, I’m talking about buying my FIRST gun. Seems to make more sense to buy something I already know.

I say get what you want.

As for PCC's, if these are for home defense, then why not just use the 92? A little extra velocity with the longer barrel of a carbine isn't gonna make a big difference. I'd go with an AR if you want more firepower than the beretta. AR mags can be had for $10 each.

Dug this classic out of the safe for the thread. It's an original Beretta 92 I bought years ago and just could never let it go. You can click the photo for larger view.
View media item 33280
I've shot buddy's Cx4 and it seems to function just fine. He did replace some of the internal polymer parts with metal replacements.
No problems but always something to consider. Sounds like a good choice for you, IMO.

You should buy a 1911, it's like a Glock but for men.

Kind of an odd perspective. Do you still drive the same car you drove when you were 16, because you’re already familiar with it? Or did you upgrade at some point?

Also, there’s not a ton to re-familiarize yourself with in the first place. Other than those stupid upside down safeties on a lot of berettas.

They jam because you have a limp wrist.....

That's what I was going to say to him. I own a 1911 I've never had it jam that I can recall. Most of the issues are limp wrist firing like a sissy or simply having a cheap shitty magazine. People who say 1911's are unreliable seem to forget what made them famous the fact they were so reliable...

Kind of an odd perspective. Do you still drive the same car you drove when you were 16, because you’re already familiar with it? Or did you upgrade at some point?

Also, there’s not a ton to re-familiarize yourself with in the first place. Other than those stupid upside down safeties on a lot of berettas.
When I entered the military, I owned a Suburu that I sold when I went overseas. When I came back from overseas? Bought a new version of the same make and model. Why? Reliability, ease of use, familiarity, trust. I didn’t blow my wad on a fancy unfamiliar car, simply because it was popular.

Gotta love threads like these. “Don’t buy what you know and like, buy what I know and like.”

That's what I was going to say to him. I own a 1911 I've never had it jam that I can recall. Most of the issues are limp wrist firing like a sissy or simply having a cheap shitty magazine. People who say 1911's are unreliable seem to forget what made them famous the fact they were so reliable...

Have you ever shot a Coonan?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JonSable
Back