Buying my first gun(s)

So I should go out and buy a weapon that I’m completely unfamiliar with, and then need to take time to familiarize myself with it, rather than a weapon I can take down and put back together in my sleep? Keep in mind, I’m talking about buying my FIRST gun. Seems to make more sense to buy something I already know.
I was in your exact position when I got out of the military. The M9/92FS was the only handgun I'd ever even shot. I ended up with a Glock 19 and never looked back. Same capacity, lighter, more reliable, much more aftermarket support, cheaper. I now have a S&W M&P 2.0 Compact.
Nothing wrong with buying the Beretta of course. It's a blast to shoot at the range and a good nightstand gun. Just not nearly as practical.

When I entered the military, I owned a Suburu that I sold when I went overseas. When I came back from overseas? Bought a new version of the same make and model. Why? Reliability, ease of use, familiarity, trust. I didn’t blow my wad on a fancy unfamiliar car, simply because it was popular.

Gotta love threads like these. “Don’t buy what you know and like, buy what I know and like.”
Well, I mean, you literally made a thread on here asking other gun owners what their opinion was. You know what you like, and it sounds like you already had your mind made up. If you’d love a beretta, get one.
But to youre point, I’m not recommending you buy a gun that I “know and like” over what you “know and like”, Im recommending you buy a BETTER gun, and save yourself some money in the process. Has nothing to do with feelings.

I will say this too...the M9/92FS gets WAY too much hate.

Are you referring to the 1911 jamming issue?
No, I was just making a meme joke back at your meme joke. Ive owned quite a few glocks, and have a 1911 I will never sell off. I’m the gun equivalent of bisexual.

I will say this too...the M9/92FS gets WAY too much hate.
That’s probably true. But just to be clear, I don’t “hate” them. I just think they are what they are. Very mediocre, and have been for quite some time. Especially at the price point they’re typically going for. If you have some kind of nostalgic desire for one though, than not a whole lot else matters.

Have you ever shot a Coonan?

In Australia we don't have a huge gun culture. So the firearms I've shot is limited, despite living on a farm and regularly having to shoot wild boars and the like. I think the list of guns I've fired is

Glock 17
Remington 700 .308
various lower caliber rifles/shotguns over the years.
When I was overseas I fired (one off use)
M60
M16
AK47
Desert Eagle
Barrett .50

No, I was just making a meme joke back at your meme joke. Ive owned quite a few glocks, and have a 1911 I will never sell off. I’m the gun equivalent of bisexual.

I never made a meme joke

In Australia we don't have a huge gun culture. So the firearms I've shot is limited, despite living on a farm and regularly having to shoot wild boars and the like. I think the list of guns I've fired is

Glock 17
Remington 700 .308
various lower caliber rifles/shotguns over the years.
When I was overseas I fired (one off use)
M60
M16
AK47
Desert Eagle
Barrett .50

A Coonan is a 1911 on steroids that shoots .357
th

8gQt.gif

I was in your exact position when I got out of the military. The M9/92FS was the only handgun I'd ever even shot. I ended up with a Glock 19 and never looked back. Same capacity, lighter, more reliable, much more aftermarket support, cheaper. I now have a S&W M&P 2.0 Compact.
Nothing wrong with buying the Beretta of course. It's a blast to shoot at the range and a good nightstand gun. Just not nearly as practical.
Nightstand gun is basically what it’s for. No point in having a CCP, as I’m a federal employee, and even leaving it in my vehicle means I’m committing a crime.

That’s probably true. But just to be clear, I don’t “hate” them. I just think they are what they are. Very mediocre, and have been for quite some time. Especially at the price point they’re typically going for. If you have some kind of nostalgic desire for one though, than not a whole lot else matters.

One can find a 92FS for $550. At that price it's hardly mediocre. The guns are well-made, function reliably, and are aesthetically pleasing.

Lots of people hate slide-mounted safeties and I can't disagree. Beyond that, for home defense (i.e. not carry around), a Glock isn't gonna work any better.

One can find a 92FS for $550. At that price it's hardly mediocre. The guns are well-made, function reliably, and are aesthetically pleasing.

Lots of people hate slide-mounted safeties and I can't disagree. Beyond that, for home defense (i.e. not carry around), a Glock isn't gonna work any better.
Agree to disagree on this one. Even at $550, look at the rest of the offerings on the market. The beretta 92 has a notoriously shitty trigger, it’s comparably very heavy, and it’s size is rather large compared to its capacity. And I’m sure there are plenty of reliable examples of them, but as a whole, they are not known as being exceptionally reliable firearms.

For the same price, or cheaper:
-Glock 17/19
- Smith M&P
-Springfield XD
-CZ P10 series
-Sig P320

I’m probably leaving a few out, and I’d even throw the Beretta Px4 on that list as well.

Again, not “hating” on it. Just pointing out it’s rather mediocre compared to the other guns in the market today at that price point.

Nightstand gun is basically what it’s for. No point in having a CCP, as I’m a federal employee, and even leaving it in my vehicle means I’m committing a crime.
Then you could do a lot worse than a 92FS.
So federal employees aren’t allowed to ever carry concealed?

Agree to disagree on this one. Even at $550, look at the rest of the offerings on the market. The beretta 92 has a notoriously shitty trigger, it’s comparably very heavy, and it’s size is rather large compared to its capacity. And I’m sure there are plenty of reliable examples of them, but as a whole, they are not known as being exceptionally reliable firearms.

For the same price, or cheaper:
-Glock 17/19
- Smith M&P
-Springfield XD
-CZ P10 series
-Sig P320

I’m probably leaving a few out, and I’d even throw the Beretta Px4 on that list as well.

Again, not “hating” on it. Just pointing out it’s rather mediocre compared to the other guns in the market today at that price point.
I think the trigger is better than Glock’s. And it was unreliable for some because the military would use the shitty Checker mags.

Planning on buying a Beretta 92, as it’s what I’m familiar with from the Air Force. I was also looking at a long gun, either AR or a Ruger mini 14. However, watching a lot of stuff on YouTube lately, instead of a full sized gun, I’m considering a pistol caliber carbine (PCC) instead. I’m buying these for home defense, and I think the idea of having the same caliber and same magazines for both the primary and sideward is a stroke of genius. I’m looking at either a Kel-Tek Sub 2000 adapted for the Beretta mags, or the Beretta CX4 Storm, which is already made by Beretta and uses the same mags as the 92.

Any gun owners? What do you use? Any experience with PCCs?
Get you a shotgun too.

Planning on buying a Beretta 92, as it’s what I’m familiar with from the Air Force. I was also looking at a long gun, either AR or a Ruger mini 14. However, watching a lot of stuff on YouTube lately, instead of a full sized gun, I’m considering a pistol caliber carbine (PCC) instead. I’m buying these for home defense, and I think the idea of having the same caliber and same magazines for both the primary and sideward is a stroke of genius. I’m looking at either a Kel-Tek Sub 2000 adapted for the Beretta mags, or the Beretta CX4 Storm, which is already made by Beretta and uses the same mags as the 92.

Any gun owners? What do you use? Any experience with PCCs?

I'd go Glock 19 with an Angstadt arms pcc if that's the combo you want to run. Same mags, reliable.

They jam because you have a limp wrist.....

Are you referring to the 1911 jamming issue?
That's what I was going to say to him. I own a 1911 I've never had it jam that I can recall. Most of the issues are limp wrist firing like a sissy or simply having a cheap shitty magazine. People who say 1911's are unreliable seem to forget what made them famous the fact they were so reliable...

<36>

No, they are unreliable.

I love me some 1911s. They’re beautiful guns, and the feel in the hand is just superb to pretty much anything else, even 109 years later. A ton of history behind them obviously.

That being said, they’re just not reliable as a whole. I’d never tell someone to not buy one, but reliability shouldn’t be listed in the pro column for them either.

Back