Media Michael jai white need a ego check

Again, it wasnt about what techniques he demonstrated or the points he was trying to articulate.

It was a beginner level video.

As I said, glimpses of a person's skillset is demonstrated in the subtleties.

Regardless of the level of technique a person is demonstrating, they expose themself with every movement.

Like I said, subtlety and ability to discern talent through the cracks is lost on many.

It doesnt matter what a person is doing. If you have the eye, you should be able to discern if they have skills.
1*6ss9wuGIVSnPKOKmCeS3tA.jpeg

Sums up your replies itt

Yeah, MJW appears to have trained pure boxing in the correct way to supplement his traditional martial arts.

Which automatically puts him ahead of most karate guys

Typically the biggest flaw with TKD / karate bases is that they picked up and ingrained very poor boxing habits into their their neural pathways. That doesnt appear to be the case with MJW. Hes smart.

And I'm gonna defer to Rogan here in that he is a very legit kyokushin black belt. I respect Rogan's opinion on anything kick related more than most.

When he says something like, MJW has perfect, impeccable kicking technique, that is a very powerful statement and it would be wise to listen.

Rogan knows what hes talking about.

It's been said that MJW has frequented mma gyms and sparred with many elite guys over the years. Theres video of him with Ben Saunders, Kimbo, obviously he filmed a movie with Josh Barnett, Todd Duffee and a bunch of other mma guys.

JKVD seems to be the type of martial artist you're talking about. Someone who has a strong background but isnt in there actually testing himself and lacks tangible experience.

Conversely, MJW seems like the guy who is very much in there getting a feel for where his skills stack up against legitimate fighters. Why would he not?

I understand it was a movie but if you watch the flow like movement between Machida and MJW, that wasnt choreographed. They were just playing, but you get a feel for how someone like MJW would fight.

Like other traditional martial artists, there is a sense that he would have many similar elements to his style weve seen from guys like Machida, WB, Conor.

Strong distance management, lateral movement, ability to fight off the back foot, countering prowess, difficulty of being hit, strong kicking technique as a means of measuring and keeping distance. That kyokushin point fighting style just creates a fighter who is very difficult to find.

Does that mean we know for certain if he would respond well to taking shots, reactions to being hit and handling pressure? No, but the tools are certainly there on paper.

Assuming that a life long martial artist wouldnt be able to handle themselves in a fight just because they havent competed is just a weird assumption to make. What is the core reason we train? Physical mastery. Ability to defend yourself.

Anyways, that's my feel of things. I respect your opinion tho. I'd like to think I have a very good sense for fighters and talent / potential. At times I feel like I see things others might miss. Called more than a few fighters before theyve truly arrived.

I see MJW as a very different type of martial artist than someone like JKVD or the typical karate guy who hasnt immersed themselves into mma / incorporated well rounded elements to their style.

In terms of his jiu jitsu background, who knows. Dont know enough about japanese jiu jitsu to say how formidable it is. Although, considering his other background, assuming hes a white belt on the mats seems a bit hasty. Presumably it's the weakest aspect of the game.

Though I heard he used to wrestle in highschool as well.
Yeah, like I said, I don't think we disagree on that much, I get what you're seeing with MJW. I just feel like if you don't prove it in competition, it really is all speculation on how you would do, it is an unknown until you actually go out and do it.

I also really believe competition is a very important aspect of being a martial artist, you don't truly know if your shit works unless you do it in competition.

I do think he has a bit of a weird feel to him though, something seems phony about him to me, but maybe I'm wrong I don't know. At the same time, I think he's a pretty interesting dude to listen to, not totally sure how I feel about him tbh.

Yeah people seem to think anyone who isn't competing has no skill or credibility

such flawed, ignorant thinking.

there's so many savages out there who nobody has ever heard of.

not everyone wants to become a pro fighter and destroy their bodies and minds. It doesn't mean they can't be highly skilled and formidable
I actually do agree with this statement, here is a perfect example (a more credible one than MJW haha)

They are fighters who have acted or are acting.

MJW was never a fighter. He’s an actor and a part time martial artist.

How can you hold 26 titles and not be a fighter?

I actually do agree with this statement, here is a perfect example (a more credible one than MJW haha)

Exactly, way more credible, I train in Danahers class and gotten train with Glick and others, and I will say this, the man is amazing and he gives everyone a hard time, that being said I will now go cry in the corner since the blue basement is still closed down.....

Exactly, way more credible, I train in Danahers class and gotten train with Glick and others, and I will say this, the man is amazing and he gives everyone a hard time, that being said I will now go cry in the corner since the blue basement is still closed down.....
<DCWhoa>That is fucking dope, it is my dream to train there

<DCWhoa>That is fucking dope, it is my dream to train there

I I’ll say this, it’s easy to get star stuck with these monsters, you will GSP there on any day, but the core Big name guys I see regularly, Gordon Ryan, Craig Jones, Nicky Rodriguez, Ethan Crelistan, Garry “your moms favorite Grappler” Tonon, Jake Shields, Brian Glick, Karel “silver fox” Pravec, and many more. All of Danahers classes get beyond packed, you could have anywhere between 70-90 guys rolling on the mats at a given time, man the wars I have been involved in and seen, sweet Jesus

Ytou have made this rambling speculation as to whether MJW has fought or not let me stop you there. I dont give a fuck if you believe he has or not. He hasnt fought PROFESSIONALY. Do you know what that means? It means he was smart enough to make his money elsewhere while still training to sharpen his skill. You are the type to bend the knee because someone has the title "professional fighter" even when they look pretty ordinary and not that impressive "fighting". Mike Perry was getting pieced up by Mickey fucking Gall. He wouldnt have a prayer against a striker twice his size. Get a clue
... he wasn’t getting pieced up. You’re like me friend who said he could knock out Bigfoot Silva..

Lol yea

Jits is a perfect example

So many gym monsters

I know from experience how many bad dudes are out there nobody has ever heard of.

I agree that competition is a powerful medium and vessel for discerning someones tangible ability

But it's not always everything. Theres a lot of warriors who can throw the fuck down but aren't presently competing.

But theres also a lot of pussies who are beast on the pads but cant take punch for shit and have zero heart.

Depends it's one of those things where the truth is somewhere in the middle.

But yeah, I dont think we disagree on too much. Shit I argue tends to be a little niche.

Jits people make me feel like a pussy.. lol

I trained with Marcus soares and stopped at blue belt due to an acl tear.

But I miss it deeply. Actually have jiu jitsu dreams

Jits people make me feel like a pussy.. lol

I trained with Marcus soares and stopped at blue belt due to an acl tear.

But I miss it deeply. Actually have jiu jitsu dreams

I tore my mcl and lcl on both knees a few months apart, it comes with the territory, granted not a acl tear but I know a bunch of guys there with acl tears, knee replacements. Just come back and work at it, only way to get pass some mental hurdles as well as the physical ones. I literally have a laundry list of injuries from jits, probably the least injured I’ve been in the last 6 months lol

I tore my mcl and lcl on both knees a few months apart, it comes with the territory, granted not a acl tear but I know a bunch of guys there with acl tears, knee replacements. Just come back and work at it, only way to get pass some mental hurdles as well as the physical ones. I literally have a laundry list of injuries from jits, probably the least injured I’ve been in the last 6 months lol
Yeah i tore some other important ligament as well, cant remember the name.

But yeah. Gonna get like a good knee brace and try to go back soon

Yeah, like I said, I don't think we disagree on that much, I get what you're seeing with MJW. I just feel like if you don't prove it in competition, it really is all speculation on how you would do, it is an unknown until you actually go out and do it.

I also really believe competition is a very important aspect of being a martial artist, you don't truly know if your shit works unless you do it in competition.

I do think he has a bit of a weird feel to him though, something seems phony about him to me, but maybe I'm wrong I don't know. At the same time, I think he's a pretty interesting dude to listen to, not totally sure how I feel about him tbh.
he has a very strong aura of arrogance / confidence about him

and when he isn't actually competing, it's easy to question or be suspect of it.

But I think he has that confidence for a reason.

he's been in there with high level mma guys. He would know how he stacks up better than anyone.

Like when he spoke about the prospect of fighting Perry, he just had this certainty that if it happened that he would hurt him and didn't want to waste his time or whatever..

which again, to the average onlooker might sound sketchy, but I think he is just very aware of how he stacks up.

Sure, but the point is the tools and skill are there.

Technically speaking, he is so many levels above Mike that its actually comical. Watch the way he moves, even throws a jab.

Basically the only question mark is how well he responds to taking punches and how tough he is.

His skills are not the question here
Agreed but that a huge if and technique doesnt matter as much as effectiveness at the end of the day. Lesnar was a D-1 wrestler use to going at it with other heavyweight for years. Different animal when you start getting touched on
People who say jiu jitsu is a gental art are full of shit lol. I've seen and heard so many horror stories. Never really hear those when it comes to striking though. Concussions and broke ribs but never like destroying their knees.

Agreed but that a huge if and technique doesnt matter as much as effectiveness at the end of the day. Lesnar was a D-1 wrestler use to going at it with other heavyweight for years. Different animal when you start getting touched on

People who say jiu jitsu is a gental art are full of shit lol. I've seen and heard so many horror stories. Never really hear those when it comes to striking though. Concussions and broke ribs but never like destroying their knees.
Maybe

There's a few traditional martial artists where you just feel they're pussies and can't truly throw down.

JKVD comes to mind.

my feel on MJW is that he isn't like that. I think he could throw down if the situation arose for it.

Like on the street for example. When you have skills and can fight, people sort of unconsciously know that you could bust it out if need be. it's weird. Like some kind of psychic knowing or something, lol. I can't explain it but people just know. it's in ur aura or something. It's why I've never actually gotten into a fight outside the gym.

If you a martial artist / fighter you prob know what I mean.

that's kinda the vibe I get. Like, I'm no pussy. I can fight. But I wouldn't wanna fuck with him.

I could be wrong. Sounds like wild speculation on my end but my feel for this kind of thing is generally pretty on point lol

Last edited:
Maybe

There's a few traditional martial artists where you just feel they're pussies and can't truly throw down.

JKVD comes to mind.

my feel on MJW is that he isn't like that. I think he could throw down if the situation arose for it.

Like on the street for example. When you have skills and can fight, people sort of unconsciously know that you could bust it out if need be. it's weird. Like some kind of psychic knowing or something, lol. I can't explain it but people just know. it's in ur aura or something. It's why I've never actually gotten into a fight outside the gym.

If you a martial artist / fighter you prob know what I mean.

that's kinda the vibe I get. Like, I'm no pussy. I can fight. But I wouldn't wanna fuck with him.

I could be wrong. Sounds like wild speculation on my end but my feel for this kind of thing is generally pretty on point lol
I get what you're saying but I also feel like JCVD is more legitimate than MJW. Even though he also comes off more full of shit as well. He did atleast have kickboxing matches though along with his karate tournaments

The idea that that video proves to you a high level of skill is truly baffling. I can’t even believe you are arguing it. Yes he’s trained some. No it’s not possible to discern a high fight aptitude from it. It’s just a bizarre position. The idea that you can spot “special” from that video is amazing.
wouldn't call it special, no.

I believe anyone worth their salt can tell you a lot about someone from little though.

I know boxing well enough where I can paint a very good picture with very little footage. It doesn't take much to have some idea of where a person stands

Even the way someone throw a jab can speak volumes

It wasn't necessarily that what he was showing was super impressive, it's that whatever person does, regardless how big or small, exposes some of their real skillset.

On the surface level you're right, but glimpses of your true ability will always slip through the cracks if you pay close attention.

Also, Nowhere have I ever argued fight aptitude. Only skills. what he has demonstrated on paper.

Be careful bro, Mescalinedreams has been training MMA, Boxing & JiuJitsu since 2005, he will post videos of him and these savages he speaks of soon enough, we will be in “awe.” of his godlike fighting abilities.
Lol

Forever a hater since day 1

What a sad life that must be. Embodying such lowly energy.

Back