• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

American confidence vs non American confidence

Did anyone tell TS that Conor isn't even american and his thread and armchair-psychology blogpost is shit and should be banworthy?

Did anyone tell TS that Conor isn't even american and his thread and armchair-psychology blogpost is shit and should be banworthy?
Yes I’ve been told by every other ignoramus like you who didn’t bother to actually read the TS where I address this.

Nice to see you’re triggered and you want to silence me without even knowing what I said though.

No, but he copied his whole persona from Ric Flair, who is an American.
Sure, but that by default means this is hardly exclusive to americans.

It should be worth mentioning that all examples TS listed are from different generations, which is imo the biggest factor. As much as I loath the behavior TS describes, sadly it sells, so I don't really blame or think less of fighters who pull this kind of crap anymore. MMA is becoming more and more like pro wrestling, and people don't want to see a fight, they want a show.

Meisha a soccer Mum... ok

Cro Cop was never the best in the world at any time at heavyweight... let that sink in
yet he won the openweight championship,
same as conrat, who really believes he was the best LW at any point? or even the best FW for that matter, had he defended he would have proved it, but we all know how it went downhill for him

images

Your prejudice
Shows your ass​

I’m not bashing anything, I’m pointing out a flaw out of concern for exactly the thing you mention, that my own children and their children will be affected by it down the road. I’m not detracting anything, If US is in trouble then we’re all in trouble, and right now the situation there is pretty grim. But if you want to ignore it, and you just wanna call everyone not drinking the Kool-Aid a hater, then keep living in your bliss and repeating that you’re the greatest nation on earth and bla bla.
Bullshit.I'm not calling everybody not drinking the Kool-Aid and hater. I am calling YOU a hater. Don't try to kid yourself that you haven't been passing the s*** out of America and Americans with your rants. You're blinded by your own self righteousness to the point that you don't realize you're hurling out insults, while trying to sound intelligent. You are failing.

I always chuckle when people on here defend fighters like Ronda, or Conor, by saying they're just being confident and this is essential for success.

Now I'm not a psychologist but from all my experience the most confident people I have encountered have usually been those who did not go out of their way to display or signal their confidence.

This is a phenomenon I have noticed in most sports, mainly it is the American athletes who portray this overconfident in your face attitude, whereas for the most part athletes from Asia, and most of Europe, almost always have a completely different, much more subtle confidence about them.

I don't include England, UK, Ireland, etc.... in Europe because they pretty much follow the American pop culture and show most of the same traits. Also people who don't live in the States, but nonetheless display the same mentality, fake the same accent as inner city American kids, such as Israel Adesanya for example, are also example of American confidence imo. Joanna J. is another example, she's Polish but she plays the American gimmick to display confidence and intimidation.

American confidence examples:

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

Ronda-Rousey-Mean-Face.gif

Non American confidence examples;

fedor-laughing-GIF-happy-to-super-serious.gif

Chan-Jung-Sung.jpg

mirko-cro-cop-ufc-137-1.jpg

Is anyone really convinced that Mike Perry is somehow more confident and mentally tougher than Fedor Emelianenko because he tattoo's his eyebrows and puts on a mean mug?

Just a rant and a random observation, I'm sure it will rub someone the wrong way but it's a thing and it is pretty curious.
"Confidence" as you describe varies based on national experience and political climate.

If you're from a country that has seen deep economic depression, where the government can and will kill you for being to cocky or vocal, where people are more likely to be improvised and see wealth or fame as a slap in the face, you have to be more humble.
(Anywhere in Eastern Europe, Middle East)

Asians on a whole, "seem" to value humility as a character trait no matter what their nation has gone through collectively. (Japan, Thailand, etc.)

In China, athletes are encouraged to be personable because it's seen as an outward symbol that they are a nation on the rise. In fact, their middle class is growing, so I'm sure they are legitimately more happy and thankful these days - provided they don't have political aspirations.

Americans and the British are "more confident" because they experience less economic downturns, don't fear government oppression as much. So, from a physiological standpoint, they are freer to experience themselves across a wider spectrum.

Brazilian athletes have always been supported by their government and fans. So they too can express themselves however they see fit. So you see a variety of personalities in MMA.

Because there is is no noble spirit in this culture, only war and destroy people at all costs. Vulgar. Vulgar like nuke civilian people...

Yes I’ve been told by every other ignoramus like you who didn’t bother to actually read the TS where I address this.

Nice to see you’re triggered and you want to silence me without even knowing what I said though.
I don't get it i thought conor was European.

Apparently we were supposed to understand that Ireland doesn't count as a part of Europe because despite the fact that they have developed as a civilized people on for 3 -4 thousand years before modern American's came along... it is now recognized in this thread that it's completely the fault of Americans for the brasher population of the Irish. This is obviously due to the pop culture Murican'z created in just the last 50 - 100 years.

<TheWire1>

The poor Irish have been brainwashed by Murican pop culture. I'm sure you would've never found such thingz in Irish pubs prior to the social debatchery exhibited by modern Muricanz. We should probably send them some aide or something for how they've been hoodwinked.

I'm assuming Bisping would exclude England as well but TS didn't feel to address that. It's likely that there were maybe only just a handful of loud mouthed thugs in England that they emptied the jail cells of & shipped over in 1492 to colonize America. So England is safe. Maybe we can just deport Bisping so England can remain a part of Europe.

Russia will be following soon as no longer a part of Asia/Europe (whatever teh fook they're in) as Khabib 2.0 keeps upping his shit talking game & the real Khabib keeps laughing at homeless people & paying them to do pushups while cournering people he met on social media in hotel lobbies with all his thugs surrounding them. That said maybe TS will just deport those guys from Russia like he did with Joanna so that he could keep Poland as a part of Europe. Stay tuned... these are some amazing developments.

Last edited:
No, I already said “not all”, and I already said that there are different personalities everywhere.

But if we took the entire UFC roster, and we just separated all the trash talkers, I’m willing to bet a lot of money that the vast majority will be American fighters.
Not sure I agree. Brazilians talk trash a ton, and you’re not factoring in language barriers, but okay.

"Confidence" as you describe varies based on national experience and political climate.

If you're from a country that has seen deep economic depression, where the government can and will kill you for being to cocky or vocal, where people are more likely to be improvised and see wealth or fame as a slap in the face, you have to be more humble.
(Anywhere in Eastern Europe, Middle East)

Asians on a whole, "seem" to value humility as a character trait no matter what their nation has gone through collectively. (Japan, Thailand, etc.)

In China, athletes are encouraged to be personable because it's seen as an outward symbol that they are a nation on the rise. In fact, their middle class is growing, so I'm sure they are legitimately more happy and thankful these days - provided they don't have political aspirations.

Americans and the British are "more confident" because they experience less economic downturns, don't fear government oppression as much. So, from a physiological standpoint, they are freer to experience themselves across a wider spectrum.

Brazilian athletes have always been supported by their government and fans. So they too can express themselves however they see fit. So you see a variety of personalities in MMA.
<mma4>

For sure, but even that is mostly the result of American pop culture trickling into their society.

There's something about people who grow up in North America that forever keeps them a child in a way. I'm generalizing here, and obviously there are exceptions, and there are plenty of Americans who are brought up the right way, but the amount of grown men not knowing how to dress themselves, wearing shirts 4 sizes too big, and talking with street slang into their 30's and 40's is a bid disturbing.
So anyone outside of America who is an asshole has "obviously been influenced by American culture"?

Seems unbiased. Carry on.

So anyone outside of America who is an asshole has "obviously been influenced by American culture"?

Seems unbiased. Carry on.
Tthere are both good and bad aspects of American society, and some of these are very obvious to most looking in from the outside, as well as many on the inside by now.

I'm by no means anti American, I think the west is the best and that's why I live here. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to acknowledge the things that can be improved, and the things that make us look silly in the eyes of just about every other nation.

Just look at what's going on in the US these last few years. If you didn't have a legion of youth full of false confidence, and no real confidence or understanding of hardship in life, you probably wouldn't have neo Marxist tearing the country down right now.

Ditto on that. I also find them to be secretly wannabe Americans. Demonstrating behaviors that were cool in the US like 10 years ago. While at the same time, talking shit about Americans. Talk about corny.

At the end of the day, it really does come down to jealousy. And this is evident in which culture adopts the other. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Conversely, you don't see many Americans copying Asians, euroes or africans. There's a reason for that.
I wouldn't be flattered being called a bunch of nice things by a person I'm pointing my gun at. Extremely simplified example but I believe that it gets the point across.

Back