• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

American confidence vs non American confidence

Koro_11

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I always chuckle when people on here defend fighters like Ronda, or Conor, by saying they're just being confident and this is essential for success.

Now I'm not a psychologist but from all my experience the most confident people I have encountered have usually been those who did not go out of their way to display or signal their confidence.

This is a phenomenon I have noticed in most sports, mainly it is the American athletes who portray this overconfident in your face attitude, whereas for the most part athletes from Asia, and most of Europe, almost always have a completely different, much more subtle confidence about them.

I don't include England, UK, Ireland, etc.... in Europe because they pretty much follow the American pop culture and show most of the same traits. Also people who don't live in the States, but nonetheless display the same mentality, fake the same accent as inner city American kids, such as Israel Adesanya for example, are also example of American confidence imo. Joanna J. is another example, she's Polish but she plays the American gimmick to display confidence and intimidation.

American confidence examples:

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

Ronda-Rousey-Mean-Face.gif

Non American confidence examples;

fedor-laughing-GIF-happy-to-super-serious.gif

Chan-Jung-Sung.jpg

mirko-cro-cop-ufc-137-1.jpg

Is anyone really convinced that Mike Perry is somehow more confident and mentally tougher than Fedor Emelianenko because he tattoo's his eyebrows and puts on a mean mug?

Just a rant and a random observation, I'm sure it will rub someone the wrong way but it's a thing and it is pretty curious.

I’ve seen some Mike Perry types in other countries too, it’s just Americans are stereotyped to be that way so I think they get noticed more often.

now, if you are arguing that people are raised to have a more genuine mental toughness in say Russia, Japan, or places in Africa then sure I think that would be accurate

I always chuckle when people on here defend fighters like Ronda, or Conor, by saying they're just being confident and this is essential for success.

Now I'm not a psychologist but from all my experience the most confident people I have encountered have usually been those who did not go out of their way to display or signal their confidence.

This is a phenomenon I have noticed in most sports, mainly it is the American athletes who portray this overconfident in your face attitude, whereas for the most part athletes from Asia, and most of Europe, almost always have a completely different, much more subtle confidence about them.

I don't include England, UK, Ireland, etc.... in Europe because they pretty much follow the American pop culture and show most of the same traits. Also people who don't live in the States, but nonetheless display the same mentality, fake the same accent as inner city American kids, such as Israel Adesanya for example, are also example of American confidence imo. Joanna J. is another example, she's Polish but she plays the American gimmick to display confidence and intimidation.

American confidence examples:

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

Ronda-Rousey-Mean-Face.gif

Non American confidence examples;

fedor-laughing-GIF-happy-to-super-serious.gif

Chan-Jung-Sung.jpg

mirko-cro-cop-ufc-137-1.jpg

Is anyone really convinced that Mike Perry is somehow more confident and mentally tougher than Fedor Emelianenko because he tattoo's his eyebrows and puts on a mean mug?

Just a rant and a random observation, I'm sure it will rub someone the wrong way but it's a thing and it is pretty curious.
You are confusing "confidence" with "bravado" my guy. You can be confident and laid back. Or you can be confident and "in your face with it." Some people force the cocky persona while others force the humble one.

Some guys just don't filter themselves much and say what they feel no matter what, right or wrong. Examples IMO are guys like Rampage, Adesanya, and sometimes Bisping.

Many young Americans born in the 80's and early 90's were brought up, looking up to the athletes and entertainers with "bravado". In every major sport, even if the guy didn't talk much, you could see the swagger in their performance.

Last edited:
I’ve seen some Mike Perry types in other countries too, it’s just Americans are stereotyped to be that way so I think they get noticed more often.

now, if you are arguing that people are raised to have a more genuine mental toughness in say Russia, Japan, or places in Africa then sure I think that would be accurate
For sure, but even that is mostly the result of American pop culture trickling into their society.

There's something about people who grow up in North America that forever keeps them a child in a way. I'm generalizing here, and obviously there are exceptions, and there are plenty of Americans who are brought up the right way, but the amount of grown men not knowing how to dress themselves, wearing shirts 4 sizes too big, and talking with street slang into their 30's and 40's is a bid disturbing.

You are confusing "confidence" with "bravado" my guy. You can be confident and laid back. Or you can be confident and "in your face with it." Some people force the cocky persona while others force the humble one.

Some guys just don't filter themselves much and say what they feel no matter what, right or wrong. Examples IMO are guys like Rampage, Adesanya, and sometimes Bisping.

Many young Americans born in the 80's and early 90's were brought up, looking up to the athletes and entertainers with "bravado". In every major sport, even if the guy didn't talk much, you could see the swagger in their performance.
Well OK call it bravado then, but this exterior display of confidence seems to be unnecessary and other societies. I can take one look at a guy like Peter Yan, and know that he means business and demands respect without him ever mean mugging or showing any bravado whatsoever.

Wow, you operate with very complex mathematics there.

So Nicco Montano and Carla Esparza > Sakuraba & Fedor, cause UFC belt.

{<hhh]
Poor comparison. Let’s relate it to the mentioned fighters only like I have.

Fedor GOAT, no question.

Zombie contender maybe champ. Maybe but doubt it

Cro Cop second best heavyweight of old generation

Conor and Ronda have achieved more... although we shouldn’t compare Ronda cause she is female

So to summarise, American confidence seems just as effective as your mystical European or non American confidence.... look at Mike Tyson ffs or Ali hahahaha

Last edited:
Back