Where would peak GSP rank in today's welterweight division?

TFK20

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I think prime Georges would be the clear-cut favorite over every active welterweight in 2020.

However, I don't believe the prime versions of Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, BJ Penn, Matt Hughes, or Dominick Cruz would be champions if they had to compete against today's evolved talent.

You don't think prime Jon Jones would be the champ of the current LHW division?

Past prime Jon Jones was literally just the champ of this current LHW division.
He clearly lost to Reyes though

But tbh I think Jon being champ in today's LHW div is a 50-50, I'd give him a much better shot at it than any of the other guys I mentioned.

Lol pipe down. Prime GSP got knocked out by Matt Serra and manhandled by 5’6 Johnny Hendricks.

His resume doesn’t stack up well against today’s WW talent.

<36>

Not prime GSP, the Serra loss was pre-prime and the Hendricks WIN was after his ACL surgery

Let me add those to the file.

sU55FWyVUEvzhogvYGhUo_s7cRCOpJxZh2aAiCfs4IQrK_i61e-0VTfZD6YxW4RWq9a6B4c1tsqEq5ZKvvPnQfvc-hsHhN1cbpB4mxFGlM7qepu-0dK2hyE2jW5bQf4M86Kv2Wk

The only divisional goat that I’m not convinced would rule their division right now is Fedor. The rest would all be champ. Fedor might be too, but I think he’d have the toughest challenges.

The only divisional goat that I’m not convinced would rule their division right now is Fedor. The rest would all be champ. Fedor might be too, but I think he’d have the toughest challenges.
Prime Cruz gets embarrassed by Cody 10/10 times, let alone Yan.

Silva doesn't even make it to a title shot, and Jones vs Jan/Rakic/Reyes are pick 'em fights.

So what were Fedor and Silva's excuses for losing 5+ times?

After raking his eye, GSP still arguably won the last 2 rds

Theres no excuses, they fought way past their prime and tarnished their legacies for a quick buck imo.

What’s GSP’s excuse for quitting in 100% of his losses?

Quit against Hughes

Quit against Serra

Quit the sport when Bigg Rigg roughed him up

Quit the sport again when it was time to face Whit/Romero

Some people are fighters, others just aren’t.

<Fedor23>

Theres no excuses, they fought way past their prime and tarnished their legacies for a quick buck imo.

What’s GSP’s excuse for quitting in 100% of his losses?

Quit against Hughes

Quit against Serra

Quit the sport when Bigg Rigg roughed him up

Quit the sport again when it was time to face Whit/Romero

Some people are fighters, others just aren’t.

<Fedor23>
Ah, now you pull the not in prime card after I pointed out that they went on losing streaks ;)

Fedor was closer to his prime in Strikeforce than GSP was in Serra 1.

Fedor has 3x as many losses as GSP, and Silva has over 5x as many.

Those are the facts, whether you choose to accept them is up to you.

Huge GSP fan but I would be more confident in Turinabones Jones dominating the division.
Gsp could do it but there are a lot of tough fights.
Anderson would have a chance too.
BJ and Cruz would barely crack top 10.
Hughes gets his ass beat.

How many of them could be lay on? Probably most but he wouldn’t touch the title.

Prime Anderson/Fedor/Jones are clearly superior to the top of their respective divisions today. *Although MW is probably the most competitive (prime Anderson vs Israel would’ve been fun).

Prime Cruz gets embarrassed by Cody 10/10 times, let alone Yan.

Silva doesn't even make it to a title shot, and Jones vs Jan/Rakic/Reyes are toss ups

I doubt that. It’s hard to say because Cruz lost so much time to injuries. He took Garbrant to a decision after like 4 career altering injuries.

Silva lite is the current champion. You have to be a straight hater to think Silva wouldn’t be champ.

I don’t even like Jones, but he’s clearly been slowing down, and the only reason Jan is champ right now is because Jones vacated.

You can dislike fighters and still be objective about their skills. I can’t stand Jones or GSP, but there is no denying their talent.

I doubt that. It’s hard to say because Cruz lost so much time to injuries. He took Garbrant to a decision after like 4 career altering injuries.

Silva lite is the current champion. You have to be a straight hater to think Silva wouldn’t be champ.

I don’t even like Jones, but he’s clearly been slowing down, and the only reason Jan is champ right now is because Jones vacated.

You can dislike fighters and still be objective about their skills. I can’t stand Jones or GSP, but there is no denying their talent.
Silva lite?

Adesanya is an infinitely superior striker to any version of Silva

Silva would've been knocked out 10+ times if he competed against the elite kickboxers that Izzy did

Inb4 "old Silva went to dec so prime Silva wins"

Ah, now you pull the "out of prime" card after I pointed out that they went on losing streaks.

Fedor was closer to his prime in Strikeforce than GSP was vs Serra

Winning a UFC belt in your 20’s isn’t your “prime”

Lol whatever helps you sleep at night kiddo.

<{coachie}>

Back