Thumb up vs palm down debate with RJJ, Tom Yankello, Dr. DeMeo & Frank Velasquez

StopDucking

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of arguments in favor of each type of hook throughout the years but never realized hooking with the palm down (which I always do) was medically bad for the rotator cuff.

What do you think?

I've seen a lot of arguments in favor of each type of hook throughout the years but never realized hooking with the palm down (which I always do) was medically bad for the rotator cuff.

What do you think?

I think the best one is the hybrid between the two, which is how Foreman threw them. It feels stronger on the arm.

What do you think?

Boxing traditional here:

Infighting\close distance - palm to oneself
Middle distance - palm down
Long - "inverted glass" aka swing

Personal:
Palm to myself at all distances - feels better, safer for hand.

For bare-hands\mma-type gloves - inverted:

i was taught palm facing me, but hooking with palm facing down has more force and feels a tad more natural to me. The latter is better on my wrist. Interesting thought about it being bad on the shoulder

Last edited:
i was taught palm facing me, but hooking with palm facing down has more force and feels a tad more natural to me. The former is better on my wrist. Interesting thought about it being bad on the shoulder
By "former", do you mean the "latter"? Otherwise this comment doesn't make sense, haha.

Anyway, I've always thought the thumb-up hook generated more power and the video I posted explains the science behind it. The reason I prefer hooking with the palm down is because it's less telegraphed and makes it easier to connect with your knuckles.

Boxing traditional here:

Infighting\close distance - palm to oneself
Long - "inverted glass" aka swing

Personal:
Palm to myself at all distances - feels better, safer for hand.

For bare-hands\mma-type gloves - inverted:

Unless the English subtitles are incorrect, it doesn't look like Frolov is advocating for the palm-down hook at close distance. He's just saying it can be thrown at that distance. I'm pretty sure he still prefers hooking with the thumb up at any distance.

By "former", do you mean the "latter"? Otherwise this comment doesn't make sense, haha.

Anyway, I've always thought the thumb-up hook generated more power and the video I posted explains the science behind it. The reason I prefer hooking with the palm down is because it's less telegraphed and makes it easier to connect with your knuckles.
My bad lol

Unless the English subtitles are incorrect, it doesn't look like Frolov is advocating for the palm-down hook at close distance. He's just saying it can be thrown at that distance. I'm pretty sure he still prefers hooking with the thumb up at any distance.

1:32 and forward:
Сlose distance - palm to oneself
The longer the distance, the more "inverted glass" aka swing

That's how it was taught in Soviet boxing, except for some schools.

Upd. Forgot to add - palm down variant was used by Soviet boxers more because it very much compliments average amateur point-style, with fast but not so powerful hooks.

1:32 and forward:
The longer the distance, the more "inverted glass" aka swing

That's how it was taught in Soviet boxing, except for some schools.
Yeah I messed up just like our friend j123 lol.

What I meant is that Frolov doesn't actually teach this (or does he?):

Yeah I messed up just like our friend j123 lol.

What I meant is that Frolov doesn't actually teach this (or does he?):

It's more to fighter's preferences, not iron rule #1 :). I was taught initially like that but later -re-learn it to the way I prefer most and was comfortable with. It's like with boxing stance - we start every newbie in text-book, but later (2nd-1st grade-cMoS-MoS lvl) every boxer chooses what he likes more - no more punishing for lead hand dropping, etc.stuff ;).

Where I train (Europe), palm down is taught exclusively. The only way you are doing anything else is by yourself.

What do you think?

For me it was always palm facing me, I start mine like it's a jab and then pop it into the hook

For me it was always palm facing me, I start mine like it's a jab and then pop it into the hook
Very old school of you, Andy. I got scorned at several times by old-timers who called my hooks "swings" and advertised the way you do it as the only proper one.

I was taught start turn it at the point of impact.
It looks like palm facing him, but he was turning his palm down at the same time

8oK0qD2Fg47nWoYoFhQjCbu9L3s03FUKh_3RahZydxnZymoUPQwpr9cP20pf949np4XrNwLpvwA4vOgFoXQ0vElWf26MN0X8xdeOqlMIqwYq-7M

5567f9_a93ff92d37184085bbb6f9392ceb4de4.gif

CPmg.gif

Last edited:
With gloves on, I always throw the hook with the palm facing me.
With bare fists, with palm facing me from close range, palm facing down from middle range, ans inverted from long range.
As a European, I was always taught to throw it palm down though.
I think all the arguments in this video for the palm facing you are accurate, whether it's for power or for health purposes.

Very old school of you, Andy. I got scorned at several times by old-timers who called my hooks "swings" and advertised the way you do it as the only proper one.

In that case, I'm glad I'm making the old timers proud!

We all know you "swing" on your hooks because you apply that motion swinging hammers and sickles

It's more to fighter's preferences, not iron rule #1 :). I was taught initially like that but later -re-learn it to the way I prefer most and was comfortable with. It's like with boxing stance - we start every newbie in text-book, but later (2nd-1st grade-cMoS-MoS lvl) every boxer chooses what he likes more - no more punishing for lead hand dropping, etc.stuff ;).
I'm pretty sure the thumb-up hook is a federal crime in Russia. You might want to double check that before you get yourself in trouble.

I'm pretty sure the thumb-up hook is a federal crime in Russia. You might want to double check that before you get yourself in trouble.

Sorry, can't like your post due to double yellow restrictions, but I literally ROFLed <Lmaoo>.

Back