Law U.S. executes Brandon Bernard

60dec53b-f56b-478b-8d33-22355960760a-bagley_mug.png

These people's lives mattered and I just think its sick that their murderer is being portrayed as a victim. That is just a snippet of the article there is a lot more about them in the article.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...-killed-brandon-bernard-execution/3893292001/
Todd and Stacie Bagley: What we know about the Iowa couple killed in Brandon Bernard's case
Bernard said Stacie's final words were “Jesus, take care of us” and "Jesus loves you."

The couple met in Texas
Todd, 26, and Stacie, 28, were in Killian, Texas, to attend church revival meetings. But it wasn't their first time in the state — the couple met in Texas when Todd was stationed in Fort Hood, an Army Post in Killeen. Stacie, originally from Newbern, Tennessee, sang in the choir at Grace Christian Church. She and Todd met through the church and worked together with its youth group.
They reached out to troubled youth
Todd and Stacie were familiar with talking to strangers from all walks of life: In Oskaloosa, they often met with troubled teens in parking lots and brought them to Jubilee Family Church, where they served as youth ministers.
It was no surprise to family and friends of the Bagleys that they would pick up the five young men — who ranged from 15 to 19 years old — when asked for a ride.

"It's not like they fell into it based on naivete," the Rev. Bill Tvedt of the Jubilee Family Church told the Des Moines Register in 2000. They were willing to help people."

When it's akata kids dying because of stray bullets going into thier bedrooms while their doing homework none of those celebrities give a mumbling fuck. No capering to the media. Nothing.

But celebrities are trying to move heaven and earth for some crackhead who wouldn't put the gun down after being told a trillion times to put it down. Or for a dude that burned two people alive? Why is it always the worst of the akata they caper for?

I don't voice it often tho, not because I'm worried about the Uncle Tom label. It's the fact that these dicussions get so quickly toxified: Everything is fodder for a pre-existing agenda. Racist asshole's gleefully seizing upon this line of thinking do me just as bad as the celebrities.

this is the kind of things we need as a nation to begin healing, Biden is going to be amazing

First thing I think about whenever I see Ermey in any form be it photo, video, movie role, interview etc is Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket.

For sure bro, it invokes images of Stanley himself.

When the guy has a Hartman av and the name Gunny.

Anybody with a brain knows it's a masterpiece from the GOAT director but the context of the joke was the immediate difference in opinion from the literal poster in contrast to the opposite position that would be taken by Ermey's character in FMJ.

This is why you can't have nice things. Derp!

I support the death penalty for murderers. With that said, this execution shouldn't have gone ahead. You should not keep a convicted person in prison for 20 years, agonizing him, his family, and the victim's family. From that standpoint alone, he had already been punished for two decades. Besides, he has been a model prisoner for 20 years. His sentence should have been commuted to life without parole. Carrying out the execution is vindictiveness, which should not be a goal of the criminal justice system. The primary goal is rehabilitation, then deterrence, and only then punishment.

The death penalty should be delivered right after conviction and judicial review/appeals, not 20 years after.

Last edited:
Tragic situation for all those involved, especially the victims and their family. I don’t think that a persons actions are necessarily indicative of who they’re going to be for the entirety of their lives, but in certain situations depending on the crime I also don’t think that a willingness to change and be good is enough to absolve oneself of the consequences. I’m not sure where I stand on the death penalty, I can see it from both sides.

The sooner the Kartrashians die, the better.

How ironic if it was by the hands of one of these no-bail, repeat violent offenders.

Is this what is considered acceptable in the WR? I’m just trying to gauge what calls of death and violence are acceptable to the mods here.

Who would have thought that Kim Kardashian and her Twitter followers would be a bunch of morons.

I like how the story started off that he was just a guy who made a bad decision and he had reformed. Now it's, he had a gun to his head or he never would have done what he did. And you actually have numerous people who believe that shit. Fuck that dude I'm glad he's dead.

Tragic situation for all those involved, especially the victims and their family. I don’t think that a persons actions are necessarily indicative of who they’re going to be for the entirety of their lives, but in certain situations depending on the crime I also don’t think that a willingness to change and be good is enough to absolve oneself of the consequences. I’m not sure where I stand on the death penalty, I can see it from both sides.

Death penalty is a flawed option.
Nevertheless an option necessary in a ultraviolent country with, frankly speaking, mentally ill people roaming around.
The more fucked up a society is, the more you need to tighten it down.
Just like the middle east and its dictators.

PS: I'm saying this as a European who believes that, for example in Sweden, Death Penalty isn't needed because the population is generally docile without the need for such a threat. But in places like Mexico or USA, fuck yes its necessary with the kind of individuals, sorry, ultra predators, roaming around.

Lefty Paradox #368

I denounce religion and the idea of man's supremacy over every living thing. Animals and people are equal.

I have no qualms euthanizing a rabid dog.

I have real problems euthanizing a rabid human because human life is so precious.

Derp.

For sure bro, it invokes images of Stanley himself.

When the guy has a Hartman av and the name Gunny.

Anybody with a brain knows it's a masterpiece from the GOAT director but the context of the joke was the immediate difference in opinion from the literal poster in contrast to the opposite position that would be taken by Ermey's character in FMJ.

This is why you can't have nice things. Derp!
I have plenty of nice things. Some nice Kubrick books from Taschen, the Kubrick masterpiece collection on Blu Ray and on Black Friday I found a fantastic deal on the Criterion Collection's Barry Lyndon disc.

The one thing I really would like to find though, is a proper release of Kubrick's black and white boxing documentary he made early in his career

Using death penalty in 21th century is absurd.

1st theres always possibly of executing an innocent person

2nd government should never have the power to decide who lives and dies.

3rd it’s just a barbaric way of dealing with criminals.

Completely subjective on the society and people you're dealing with.

Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to
attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be
heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

This is not enforced. There is currently a post on the first page wishing death to specific persons. I see your desire for selective enforcement of this policy

Last edited:
When it's akata kids dying because of stray bullets going into thier bedrooms while their doing homework none of those celebrities give a mumbling fuck. No capering to the media. Nothing.

But celebrities are trying to move heaven and earth for some crackhead who wouldn't put the gun down after being told a trillion times to put it down. Or for a dude that burned two people alive? Why is it always the worst of the akata they caper for?

I don't voice it often tho, not because I'm worried about the Uncle Tom label. It's the fact that these dicussions get so quickly toxified: Everything is fodder for a pre-existing agenda. Racist asshole's gleefully seizing upon this line of thinking do me just as bad as the celebrities.

Going to sound very naive here but what is an akata?

so you agree with me?

are you more of the "life imprisonment is punishment enough" type?

do you believe the death penatly is antiquated and no civilized society should have such a thing?
I think the death penalty doesn't accomplish what its sought out to do. A killer sits on death row for 15 plus years before they're executed and really what's the point 15 years later? It's waste of time and resources and completely pointless in 2020 and most importantly.... it doesn't deter crime at all. I'd be completely okay with getting rid of it now.

That being said, I don't feel bad when unremorseful shit bags get put to death either. The most ideal situation is the government gets rid of the death penalty and these convicted murderers get killed by their cellmate their first night in prison. I mean, Jeffrey Dahmer got was coming to him and the state didn't even have to carry it out. Brilliant!

I went to a showing of a documentary about the death penalty not that long ago. They had a Q and A from the directors and a criminal defense attorney afterward. During the documentary they featured this guy that raped and tortured a pregnant 22 year old before killing her in Ohio. Her husband killed himself two months later because he couldnt deal with the grief. Fast forward some 15 plus years later and they finally got around to executing the guy. The big uproar about this guys execution is that it took 17 minutes for the lethal injection to kill him. He was writhing around and gasping the whole time.

Some of these dopes in the theater where so outraged and couldnt believe we'd carry out such barbaric executions. But during the documentary they played an interview with the victim's sister and was like "Fuck him" She said her sister undoubtedly suffered way more than he did while he was being executed and she's absolutely right. That shit bag ended the lives of two, potentially three people that day... a woman, her unborn child and her husband.

That's why I don't feel bad for most of these people getting put to death. So yeah, the death penalty is essentially useless, but I'm not going leave my fucking porch light on for people like John Wayne Gacy, Gary Gilmore and Timothy McVeigh when they get put down.

I don’t believe in the death penalty. But of all the people on death row you put on a cape for this scumbag.

I have plenty of nice things. Some nice Kubrick books from Taschen, the Kubrick masterpiece collection on Blu Ray and on Black Friday I found a fantastic deal on the Criterion Collection's Barry Lyndon disc.

The one thing I really would like to find though, is a proper release of Kubrick's black and white boxing documentary he made early in his career

Impressive collection of the as noted GOAT, to be certain.

Your fandom changes nothing of the logic noted above though. Surely just a silly misunderstanding with Gunny as I am a fan of his posting and general approach.

Back