Khabib brutally dwarfed by football player (van dijk)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe if he started as a kid. Not anymore. His body is geared towards a completely different purpose and he is not used to real physical contact. The transition would be way too hard/take too long. Upper body is also underdeveloped. Flexibility is probably also pretty limited.
Now at 29 years of age, a transition is pretty late, but honestly, the movements in MMA and fighting sports in general are fairly simple and this is not an affront against martial arts.
As for the "underdeveloped" upper body: i don't know man, nothing is as overrated as being muscular in MMA.
Strength and conditioning are important, but some of the best fighters aren't that muscular at all.

Flexibility is something one can work on and i don't think the flexibility of Van Dijk is bad at all.
Yeah the majority do, but the people who vote for the most prestigious individual award in Football aren't just casual fans, what makes the exceptions to the cause I wonder.. Seemingly the more intelligent Defenders are higher perceived than the aggressive ones, Cannavaro was a the last defender to win it in 2006 who was known for his intelligence and pace, I believe Dan Dijk should have won the last one but he came 2nd who is known for similar attributes(though much taller), but a more aggressive arguably world class CB's like Vidic, John Terry maybe Carragher would never be considered because they don't fit the classy "Balon D'or CB" requirement imo.

Hard to say, both can be negated based on how well the team is doing, defenders and attackers can be equally negligible depending on the circumstances, though I suppose the saying is "The best defence is a good offence" lol. Depends on philosophy greatly though I guess, some managers prefer one type of player, some another.
I know what you mean, but with all due respect, most footballers aren't thaaaat smart either, since being good at that sport doesn't require you to be a critical thinker/intelligent.
Agree about the intelligent defenders being preferred, but i understand that, plus those defenders are usually good at passing etc. too (Cannavaro, Lahm, etc.)

Yeah of course both can be negated! I think i should have put it like this:
I think there'll always be more defenders as good as Van Dijk etc. than there'll be attackers as good as Messi etc. you know?
But again, i could be wrong here, who knows, lol.
I always found the games I felt most lost in and least effective were the games I played as an attacker in a full 11 team, 5 a side is different cos everyones doing everything, but you can play out on the wing and get like 3 touches in a game and they could all just be passes back to the player you got the ball from, where as when I was playing as CDM or CM I found myself to be far more involved more often which in turn made it easier as I felt more involved thus more comfortable in the games.
That's fair and i agree.
I wasn't talking about impacting the game via what i did with the ball though, but solely about understanding where i had to be; finding free spaces always felt very natural to me, whereas i was way more overwhelmed the more defensive my position was.
He said
"The injury I suffered to my eyes last year was a career ender. In total I lost about 40% of my vision, but I wanted to see what one more hard fought battle was like with the new eyes. It was clear to me last night that it’s impossible for me to compete at this level anymore. I just can’t lock on to a moving target like I should, and with 40% of my vision practically gone... it’s chaotic to (say) the least."
Though I don't personally believe the outcome would have been much different with him prior to his injury.
Oh, alright, fair enough.
Now that you mention it, Gaethje said his eye surgery had a crazy impact too for him in MMA, but then again, these things probably all differ; Lentz and Gaethje *might* have had poor vision overall, whereas Bisping *might* have had great vision, but limited to one eye, you know?
I remember seeing a dude who was like roller skating around in roads fully blind, and he'd learnt how to do sonar with his mouth and vibrations bouncing back to him, was amazing really.
That's absolutely insane if true, holy shit.

I know that when people lose on of their senses, the other senses get some kind of boost and a really noticable one at that, but what you mentioned sounds like some Daredevil shit, haha.

Just wanted to point one thing out; obviously you need skills in football and every pro has one or more skills as agility, stamina, coordination, explosiveness etc where he excels at. However, because it is a tactical game, you also have some players that are physically/athletically gifted to a lesser extent, but they read the game very well. Marten de Roon of Atalanta would be a prime example, Ngolo Kante to a lesser extent. These are great defending oriented players, but they dont have the athletic ability some attacking minded players have.
I agree, but i'd only say they're worse athletes if you limit athleticism to everything about speed and explosiveness; guys like Ngolo Kante and James Milner aren't crazy explosive, but they have absolutely freakish endurance.

He's too skinny to be a football player. Don't even know what team that is

Actually goal keepers would be the best to transition. Hell of a throw and kick on those mother fuckers.

Van Dyke is a hell of a player and huge, Khabib could still rape the scouse cunt if he wanted. Sure he’s fine with it.

Lmao how did this thread end up being 6 pages.

Sherdog is an odd place.

Most
Now at 29 years of age, a transition is pretty late, but honestly, the movements in MMA and fighting sports in general are fairly simple and this is not an affront against martial arts.
As for the "underdeveloped" upper body: i don't know man, nothing is as overrated as being muscular in MMA.
Strength and conditioning are important, but some of the best fighters aren't that muscular at all.

Flexibility is something one can work on and i don't think the flexibility of Van Dijk is bad at all.

I know what you mean, but with all due respect, most footballers aren't thaaaat smart either, since being good at that sport doesn't require you to be a critical thinker/intelligent.
Agree about the intelligent defenders being preferred, but i understand that, plus those defenders are usually good at passing etc. too (Cannavaro, Lahm, etc.)

I think there'll always be more defenders as good as Van Dijk etc. than there'll be attackers as good as Messi etc. you know?

That's fair and i agree.
I wasn't talking about impacting the game via what i did with the ball though, but solely about understanding where i had to be; finding free spaces always felt very natural to me, whereas i was way more overwhelmed the more defensive my position was.

Now that you mention it, Gaethje said his eye surgery had a crazy impact too for him in MMA, but then again, these things probably all differ; Lentz and Gaethje *might* have had poor vision overall, whereas Bisping *might* have had great vision, but limited to one eye, you know?

I know that when people lose on of their senses, the other senses get some kind of boost and a really noticable one at that, but what you mentioned sounds like some Daredevil shit, haha.

Underdeveloped doesn't necessarily mean not huge. In his case it would be just weak and cardio vascularly not up to par either. Weak tendons, weak grip, weak shoulders. Well, weak everything basically, besides maybe abs. Dude would get absolutely destroyed in the clinch. On the ground even worse. Would never have the time to master all grappling and striking to hang. Honestly, if you think athleticism is all it takes, you're really underestimating everything thay goes into MMA.

So Khabib met him in Holland. And whats so special about the guy? Sorry know nothing about football.
Liverpool had no defense and was a meme because of it until he joined and turned the backline into a brickwall (lowest conceded + long unbeaten home runs). Because of him, they’ve turned into a European powerhouse who won the Champions League and the league title the next for the first time in 30 years.

Since he tore his ACL, they’re crumbling and has no senior centre backs to fill in.

Last edited:
Most

Underdeveloped doesn't necessarily mean not huge. In his case it would be just weak and cardio vascularly not up to par either. Weak tendons, weak grip, weak shoulders. Well, weak everything basically, besides maybe abs. Dude would get absolutely destroyed in the clinch. On the ground even worse. Would never have the time to master all grappling and striking to hang. Honestly, if you think athleticism is all it takes, you're really underestimating everything thay goes into MMA.
I'm far from saying athleticism is all it takes.

In fact, i think athleticism as in being insanely strong or having crazy cardio is horrendously overrated.

The reason i'm saying football players have insane talent for MMA, is because their talent in coordination, football players at that level *all* have brains which are insanely good at processing fast movements, meaning things like catching a ball, playing a ball accurately over a distance with your feet when the ball is mid-air, or - in the case of MMA - strike with astounding accuracy; it's the exact type of talent guys like Silva, Izzy and Conor have, their sense of distance and their timing is on a level which isn't due to learning, but largely due to having a talent for it that's off the charts and so do basically all soccer players at that level.

As for the rest; Van Dijk might not be crazy strong in the upper body, but one can work on that and in terms of cardio, he'd very fast be the best in whatever division he'd play in.
In terms of cardiovascular fitness, soccer players are the best athletes on the planet in sports which are not about running itself.

Khabib sand Conor are the same height.
15389943453131.jpg

Hopsmith-Chicago-UFC-229-Khabib-versus-McGregor.jpg

Khabib is clearly an inch taller. Khabib is average height. Conor is slightly below average height.

I didn't mean like IQ critically smart, I just meant within the realms of Football Intelligence "reading the game" etc, Senderos could speak about 10 languages but was never considered particularly great(though a big prospect in his youth). My preference for a defender would be preventing goals first and for most, I prefer Bailey who is just an athletic put your face on the line defender over Maguire who can play the ball out and play a nice pass, I always preferred Vidic to Rio too for the same reason, but Rio would have fit the criteria of Balon Do'r defender much more because he played nice football.

I mean Messi is arguably the best player ever, so it's hard to compare him with anyone else really. But In terms of a Defender competing with these Balon D'or winning attacking players you could argue that Van Dijk is a far rarer specimen due to being only one of 3 defensive players nominated in the last 20 years, not including GK's Neuer and Buffon. Who know's I know which one i'd rather have in my team right now and he's 6 ft 4 lol.

That's fair and i agree.
Fair, the pressure is far higher on a defender so that makes sense, some people enjoy and flourish in the overwhelmingness like Roy Keane did and some people don't like Paul Pogba.

iirc Bispings none glass eye was also shit, I think he had like 20% vision in his fucked one and 40% in the other LMAO. I might have got that wrong, but i'm pretty sure he had to lie about both eyes to get a medical pass. Will try and find the quote, but it might have just been him waffling in a Podcast I heard that.

haha for real! Is quite a sad story cos I think he died of cancer... Watch this shit!

Emasculation? Obviously not a fan of him but Khabib would maul him. The tallest man in the world isn’t the most alpha and lol at betas who think that.
You are a fan of khabib, what are you talking about?

Lorik Cana would probably have been an amusing fighter too

I'm far from saying athleticism is all it takes.

Athleticism is all that he has.

In fact, i think athleticism as in being insanely strong or having crazy cardio is horrendously overrated.

Tell that to Khabib & DC (insane strength), Colby (insane cadio) and Usman (both)

But saying it is underrated is a matter of by whom. I'd say I pretty accurately rate strength and cardio.

The reason i'm saying football players have insane talent for MMA, is because their talent in coordination, football players at that level *all* have brains which are insanely good at processing fast movements, meaning things like catching a ball, playing a ball accurately over a distance with your feet when the ball is mid-air, or - in the case of MMA - strike with astounding accuracy; it's the exact type of talent guys like Silva, Izzy and Conor have, their sense of distance and their timing is on a level which isn't due to learning, but largely due to having a talent for it that's off the charts and so do basically all soccer players at that level.

Better fit for kickboxing then, don't you think? Also it really depends on the player, they all have their specialties and they all aren't near equally well coordinated. Maybe Van Dijk is though, not sure. The ones that excell at street soccer are often the most nimble and well coordinated. Still very different movements to deal with a ball than a human being. Very different split second decisions to make for a soccer player than an MMA fighter. Of course, it could translate well, but I think it's far from a given that it would.

As for the rest; Van Dijk might not be crazy strong in the upper body, but one can work on that

Sure, but he would never catch up with actual fighters.

and in terms of cardio, he'd very fast be the best in whatever division he'd play in.
In terms of cardiovascular fitness, soccer players are the best athletes on the planet in sports which are not about running itself.

Different kind of cardio. Especially when talking about the upper body. Dude's arms probably turn to spaghetti after he cuddled his GF for 5 min straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back