Has anyone here gone back to school after years in your respective industry?

Thoughts?

• Total voters
This is where I'm lost. In my industry, we need to know addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, volume, square meters, distance.

All the algebra and geometry is where I falter - I can't even help my 12 year old with her math homework.
Have you ruined your brain's neural networks with copious amounts of alcohol and drugs? Pretty sure I could teach anyone to plot a line on a graph and manipulate that equation. Albeit as a retarded kid who tossed his books at the teacher , I didn't figure it out until the 8th grade but it was just because I wans't willing nor did I have a good teacher to learn from. I

passed an entire elementary statistics class through learning everything on youtube. I'd often run into problems the online program we had to use would tell me that my answer was wrong, and I'd show my work and the problem to the same teacher and he didn't have a clue. That same class had like a 95% drop rate and the cost of materials to get you through the first mid term was a 300$ book, a 100-150+ add code for the online homework, mymathlab BS, and like 200$ for a ti 84+ CE silver edition calculator . What I'm trying to say is even though that guy couldn't teach remotely anything, I was able to get an A, and probably set the curve just out of sheer will power. I am also the type to just do the problems with my own innate fucked up math and often had a hard time doing things the way they want you to are you are supposed to. It's not going to happen overnight but maybe you'll be doing quadratic equations in your head by the time you ready to take the GED, you never know. I personally like to believe everyone has untapped potential, how much you get out of is based on what you put in, regardless of your genetics.

I graduated from junior college at 21 and I already felt like I was surrounded by idiots. Can't imagine what it's like at 30/40-something.

The intelligence gap between basic CC courses and Uni-level courses is fucking huge, though. I'm honestly looking forward to working on my Master's.
Dude straight up, I hated how highschool like people seemed in CC. Then when I had my first day at a good uni, I was shocked by how intelligent the average student was. Like the most below-average student at a UNI could easily be the top student in any cc level class or course. Had me feeling like I wasn't up to par and really made me think about dropping out just because of how stupid I felt surrounded by what seemed like a plethora of geniuses. Then I came to find out that they already had the books and did the prescribed readings, etc.

I can't wait to get into a Ph.D program for the same exact reasons.

@Cool Hand Luke I pulled an O'Malley when I was young and made sure I'd try every drug I could get my hands on, dropped out and took my GED at 15. I dropped out of community college after a bad skateboard accident and realized I couldn't pursue an automotive career anymore. I didn't get my shit together until I was like 23-24 and even now I still don't but I managed to get like 95% of my tuition covered at a 45k a year private university. That was with an gpa of like 3.0-3.1 cumulative. Now I'm in my last semester, currently perusing grad schools and sitting at a 3.74 cumulative. I'm also 27 and probably the 2nd or May 3rd oldest student on campus and I often find that knowledge daunting to say the least.

One of my professors got her Ph.D at 67, runs her own private practice in Menlo Park, runs and owns ac clothing store, all while teaching at 3 different uni's , one of which is grad school. She's a bad ass Indian lady though, but still, it gives me the motivation and the inspiration to achieve.

Also, I will never stop telling people to go back to school but man right now is the best and most viable time to go. I had my entire tuition last year covered and then some, I think I had like 3-4k extra then I spent because they got a government bailout. Then I got emergency aid that ended up with me spending 150$ out of pocket for a pretty much ball to the wall laptop. Also almost all community college classes right now are asynchronous so there are no scheduled class meetings and on top of that ever damn test I've had at all these community colleges during these times have had all the answers online. I took 3 business course to pique my interest and found that they cover the same exact shit regardess if its MGT 101, BUS 101, or a class about entreneupheruship in small business, all of them use cookie cutter tests. Also no one gives a shit about cheating, just that you get the work done. Even in my psych program ,all the classes taught by the head of the program are open book open notes, but they are all essay based tests so you can't really cheat if you don't understand the material. TLDR: I think I've put in maybe 1/10th of the work I've been putting in before COVID to get the same grades, all A's with a A- or B+ every other semester.

If you do choose to get an undergrad I recommend going to a small school, I don't think I'd be anywhere near as successful at a large uni where there's a couple 50- couple hundred people per class. It also helps a lot having class sizes under <20 people because it allows you to really build a good rapport with the professors and you also get a higher quality learning experience. Oh and private universities, at least the one I go to, allow for professors to create their own curriculum. Like I'm taking all upper-division classes, 3xx, 4xx yet half of them don't have quizzes or test just because its irrelevant to the learning outcome the professor is going for.

I also probably have a similar drive to a heroin addict, so I figure if I can get this far that you can as well if you put in the work.

Yeah, that's BS about a lot not caring about cheating.

I teach at a university, and I changed my tests so that each question is from a pool of questions to minimize cheating because it's hard to control online. I got better at it, but at first it took me like 25 hours to write a test this way. I've written over 2000 questions since last March when Covid started. I'm burned out when it comes to writing questions, but it was all to minimize cheating.

I'm only 43 bro
and I think so was Eric Thomas when he finished his master's and began his pursuit towards a Ph.D. in Philosophy. You might find a lot of parallels between his story and yours, and he's what I consider to be the best motivational speaker next to David Goggins

I used to have to listen to this just to get myself to highschool because I hated everything about public education, and everything in between. This is why I took my GED at 15, now I'm here at 27 and looking at possibly being in school until I'm 35~ and hopefully teaching at a college or university at some point.

Look the GED is pretty much designed for people who don't speak, read or write in English to pass. I took it when I was 15, never read any of the English stories as they were so stupid they'd put the literal answers into the questions. The hardest thing on there was y=mx+b and I don't even think they require you to manipulate past a single digit.

Don't you dare make the GED seem hard. I could've for sure passed it in the 8th grade, possibly even the 5th grade had I been taught pre-algebra. Albeit I do know a guy who failed the math portion.
The below answer is why i said you CAN do pre-req GED courses for brush up if ya want. I absolutely suck at math, SUCK BAD. I had to go all the way back to math 60 bro. That's like...kindergarten shit. So that's why i merely pointed out there is pre classes you can take for it.

I still blow at long hand division. Heh.

I'm getting that from all my friends who graduated or still go to my school. That specific person has a 1.7 gpa, maybe even less and still landed a job that paid 85k a year + stock options. That job was at Tesla and shes been there for like 2 years now. All she literally does is answer fucking phone calls, and show off the latest models at a store front. The same chick would literally do all her classes while on the clock at work too. She also once asked if getting a D was passing and even our professor had a hard time trying to explain to her that a D doesn't get you credit just because she somehow managed to get credit for other courses with a D lol. She was at the bottom of the barrel, so to speak.

That's exactly why I said what I said because people want to confine others to their own version of reality. I got a buddy who was pulling 6 figures a year doing nothing but handyman work on craigslist. Just because you don't think something isn't possible or that because one person does it and they have something you don't, doesn't necessarily entail that those things are impossible

I also go to the best college when it comes to careers and jobs straight out, because they have an entire paid department that handles that and helps you with your own personal job/internship hunts. Also, that 85k is what the average Business major makes in the SF bay area.

So anecdotal evidence? This one person you knew.. Also using SF and tesla as a benchmark is pretty misleading.

Your point about craigslist list is exactly what i was recommending. Its not about what you can't do or whats impossible, its quite the opposite. You don't always need a degree to build a career or pursue something new, thats old backwards thinking. The market has changed a lot now. If you really want to future proof your career its about skill not degrees.

I don't have an axe to grind here. I have a masters degree and while i don't regret the experience, what my undergrad and masters taught me was less valuable than what i learned on my own. I chose to leave my 9 to 5 and start freelancing in a completely new career, and now im making more than 10X what i was in that job. If i had been stuck in that way of thinking id be making maybe 2X and working a lot harder and def not enjoy it as much. You have to think outside the box nowadays.

Yeah, that's BS about a lot not caring about cheating.

I teach at a university, and I changed my tests so that each question is from a pool of questions to minimize cheating because it's hard to control online. I got better at it, but at first it took me like 25 hours to write a test this way. I've written over 2000 questions since last March when Covid started. I'm burned out when it comes to writing questions, but it was all to minimize cheating.
Where do you teach? I know people at UCLA and other Ivy League schools that tell they are pretty much doing the exact same thing. The farthest anyone is going is making you take your quiz or test during class time while on camera, even then the issue as to why they can't force you is because of legal reasons in regards to privacy. Like at my school they aren't even allowed to tell you to turn your cameras on.

Also, I know people in grad school all over California and it's the same exact story regardless so the major. Hell even the EMT program has been reduced to similar standards, but my buddy whose in paramedic school right now has to go in and take his tests and do his assessments. The only other people who seem to give a fuck during this time are high school teachers.

What subject do you teach?

So anecdotal evidence? This one person you knew.. Also using SF and tesla as a benchmark is pretty misleading.

Your point about craigslist list is exactly what i was recommending. Its not about what you can't do or whats impossible, its quite the opposite. You don't always need a degree to build a career or pursue something new, thats old backwards thinking. The market has changed a lot now. If you really want to future proof your career its about skill not degrees.

I don't have an axe to grind here. I have a masters degree and while i don't regret the experience, what my undergrad and masters taught me was less valuable than what i learned on my own. I chose to leave my 9 to 5 and start freelancing in a completely new career, and now im making more than 10X what i was in that job. If i had been stuck in that way of thinking id be making maybe 2X and working a lot harder and def not enjoy it as much. You have to think outside the box nowadays.
Everyone I know straight out of a business 4 year school or engineering school all start at around 85k a year, most of these engineering kids are starting at 100k~ depending on if they can get into a start-up or not. I also know people who live in Canada on the east coast and its the same thing, it's just dependent on where you live. I never stated a degree= money, that why I literally said that.

That same handyman dude did that for maybe 3-4 years and is buying a house in Oregon. He's 27, but he also lives and works in the SF bay area.

Both of my parents are Ph.D dropouts and could probably work for some NASA level company yet they both work in fields that don't utilize any of their education at all. My mom does for a living what you can learn at a technical school in the boonies, yet she's the best in the world at what she does, which is circuit editing, next to her business partner. My dad works as a project manager for various tech companies in the bay area, and you don't need a management degree to do that. It does show that you are willing to put in the hard work, and effort to achieve what you want. Other than that I think a 4 year degree is the modern-day equivalent of an HS diploma.

Where do you teach? I know people at UCLA and other Ivy League schools that tell they are pretty much doing the exact same thing. The farthest anyone is going is making you take your quiz or test during class time while on camera, even then the issue as to why they can't force you is because of legal reasons in regards to privacy. Like at my school they aren't even allowed to tell you to turn your cameras on.

Also, I know people in grad school all over California and it's the same exact story regardless so the major. Hell even the EMT program has been reduced to similar standards, but my buddy whose in paramedic school right now has to go in and take his tests and do his assessments. The only other people who seem to give a fuck during this time are high school teachers.

What subject do you teach?

No, nothing legal in regards to webcams if you are the one viewing the webcam. Yeah, I have them use webcams, but to be honest, I have 300+ students with 2 hour long tests. There's no way I'm going through all of that, so I make them use it for the threat that someone could be monitoring (and I do randomly look at a few).

I teach a science, so all those questions, which are multiple choice, I have to compute the correct answer and the answers for common mistakes. It's a pain. Every test was about 175 questions and I've given 12 so far. But the 175 questions per test is almost 700 calculations (a little less due to some being conceptual).

No, nothing legal in regards to webcams if you are the one viewing the webcam. Yeah, I have them use webcams, but to be honest, I have 300+ students with 2 hour long tests. There's no way I'm going through all of that, so I make them use it for the threat that someone could be monitoring (and I do randomly look at a few).

I teach a science, so all those questions, which are multiple choice, I have to compute the correct answer and the answers for common mistakes. It's a pain. Every test was about 175 questions and I've given 12 so far. But the 175 questions per test is almost 700 calculations (a little less due to some being conceptual).
You could use the lockdown browser, that's the only legal thing you can use. You can't use the lockdown monitor as so I figured out because every professor I've had that said they'd use the monitor, which watches and vettes everything you do via webcam, only ever use the browser. Might save you a headache.

But, I'll say this, while I haven't taken your test. I wanted to fight every teacher I ever had that gave us a midterm with 100-200 questions and 2-3 hours to do. They were always filled with content outside of the book and class. If it's biology or bio psych I can see your POV but I still think testing like that is archaic and it doesn't allow students to properly consolidate the information which is the whole point of the class anyways. That's why a lot of our tests in my Psych program are all essay and prompt-based, so you have to apply 10-20 definitions/and or theories to a subject matter in a coherent fashion. I found that to be more challenging than cramming definitions for a test. It also allows the opportunity for students to elaborately rehearse the information by creating their own meanings to the terminology.

Also, that's just a redundant thing to say. Not everyone is the same, not everyone will work at the same place, or in the same city, state, country, etc. Not everyone will get paid or have the same opportunities other people get. Now If I was attempting to apply this to everyone as a blanket statement then I could see where you're going but I didn't do that. The whole point was to inspire, not the opposite. Everyone is capable of achieving greatness but not everyone will. That's also why I list I'm in the SF bay area, etc. I'm not trying to sell the guy some pipe dream or tell him some fairy tale story.

The only things you should be applying the term anecdotal evidence are stereotypes and don't get me started on stereotype threat.

I went to tech school for two years right after high school and worked on cars/sold service at dealers and independent shops for a few years before I realized that I didn't want to work on cars or work in shops the rest of my life. Plus I was a total fuck up in high school and wasn't motivated to do well in school and didn't have much drive to do anything else.

I went back to school at 24 and finished at 29 and got my bachelors in Journalism. Which in retrospect I would have majored in something else since I don't even work in that field (same as most other journalism majors). I've even kicked around the idea of going back again but quickly think better of it as I don't need to rack up any more student loan debt.

You could use the lockdown browser, that's the only legal thing you can use. You can't use the lockdown monitor as so I figured out because every professor I've had that said they'd use the monitor, which watches and vettes everything you do via webcam, only ever use the browser. Might save you a headache.

But, I'll say this, while I haven't taken your test. I wanted to fight every teacher I ever had that gave us a midterm with 100-200 questions and 2-3 hours to do. They were always filled with content outside of the book and class. If it's biology or bio psych I can see your POV but I still think testing like that is archaic and it doesn't allow students to properly consolidate the information which is the whole point of the class anyways. That's why a lot of our tests in my Psych program are all essay and prompt-based, so you have to apply 10-20 definitions/and or theories to a subject matter in a coherent fashion. I found that to be more challenging than cramming definitions for a test. It also allows the opportunity for students to elaborately rehearse the information by creating their own meanings to the terminology.

I use Lockdown with the webcam... there's nothing illegal about the webcam.

The tests are only 27 questions but come from a pool of around 180 so that everyone gets a different exam and can't compare notes to minimize cheating. That's the entire point in doing what I did.

If they were in class and I could monitor better, they only get two versions... so only 54 questions per section.

Also, that's just a redundant thing to say. Not everyone is the same, not everyone will work at the same place, or in the same city, state, country, etc. Not everyone will get paid or have the same opportunities other people get. Now If I was attempting to apply this to everyone as a blanket statement then I could see where you're going but I didn't do that. The whole point was to inspire, not the opposite. Everyone is capable of achieving greatness but not everyone will. That's also why I list I'm in the SF bay area, etc. I'm not trying to sell the guy some pipe dream or tell him some fairy tale story.

The only things you should be applying the term anecdotal evidence are stereotypes and don't get me started on stereotype threat.

My goal was is also to inspire. I'm just suggesting a different path, learn a relevant skill and become good at it. Like the example you gave of your mom being one of the best in her profession. Thats my kind of inspiration. But of course, i don't want to discourage anyone from pursuing a degree. If thats your dream you should do that and you can go far on that path too.

I've spent 10 years in the legal industry. I want a new job but I honestly don't know what I'd want to do in the slightest.

I use Lockdown with the webcam... there's nothing illegal about the webcam.

The tests are only 27 questions but come from a pool of around 180 so that everyone gets a different exam and can't compare notes to minimize cheating. That's the entire point in doing what I did.

If they were in class and I could monitor better, they only get two versions... so only 54 questions per section.
I think it's dependent on your school, and my school has pretty much stated that they aren't allowed for legal reasons. Has something to do with a privacy act, minors, etc. I think they can get sued or something if a minor gets recorded unwillingly so they just decided to not worry about that. Also, every uni is offered a credit or no credit for any class even your core and major courses, and even the big-name colleges like Stanford aren't batting an eye at that.

I've been in the shipping industry going into my 25th year this May.

I NEARLY finished 11th grade but fell into an apprenticeship at 18 which I decided was more for me.

I'm worried that our industry, or at least the segment i'm in, will not exist in 10 years time.

I've decided that I will get my GED and then follow up and try to get a degree in Logistics or Business thereafter. I'm essentially a geography (and a ground hog) expert, however looking through prep classes for taking the GED, my excellent skills will not help me one iota.

Does anyone here have experience with going back to school later in life?

I'd appreciate any tips or advice.

When you say shipping. do you mean like big boats? Or like driving shit around for amazon.

My goal was is also to inspire. I'm just suggesting a different path, learn a relevant skill and become good at it. Like the example you gave of your mom being one of the best in her profession. Thats my kind of inspiration. But of course, i don't want to discourage anyone from pursuing a degree. If thats your dream you should do that and you can go far on that path too.
Yes, but TS was specifically asking about a college degree and it seems like he's doing blue-collar work which is never viable long term. But again, that's dependent on the individual but I plan on fishing up until the day I die and my tendonitis already fucks with my lure fishing. Also at his age, it's practically unviable to just jump into another skilled labor like welding, or carpentry. Takes years before you even get things down to a science let alone the myriad of rules and regulations you must know. If he was going to do something like that I'd suggest learning to weld and getting certed for 1g,2g,3g,4g, 5g and 6g pipe welding. You'll be making doctor money and your own boss at the same time or you can become an iron worker and make that silicon valley money too. Hell even my automotive teacher was pulling sometimes 1-2k a day just doing large part(s) replacement for an Audi dealership.

Have you ruined your brain's neural networks with copious amounts of alcohol and drugs? Pretty sure I could teach anyone to plot a line on a graph and manipulate that equation. Albeit as a retarded kid who tossed his books at the teacher , I didn't figure it out until the 8th grade but it was just because I wans't willing nor did I have a good teacher to learn from. I

passed an entire elementary statistics class through learning everything on youtube. I'd often run into problems the online program we had to use would tell me that my answer was wrong, and I'd show my work and the problem to the same teacher and he didn't have a clue. That same class had like a 95% drop rate and the cost of materials to get you through the first mid term was a 300$ book, a 100-150+ add code for the online homework, mymathlab BS, and like 200$ for a ti 84+ CE silver edition calculator . What I'm trying to say is even though that guy couldn't teach remotely anything, I was able to get an A, and probably set the curve just out of sheer will power. I am also the type to just do the problems with my own innate fucked up math and often had a hard time doing things the way they want you to are you are supposed to. It's not going to happen overnight but maybe you'll be doing quadratic equations in your head by the time you ready to take the GED, you never know. I personally like to believe everyone has untapped potential, how much you get out of is based on what you put in, regardless of your genetics.
I did really well with algebra, geome,trig and calc in high school. I didn't necessarily understand what inwas doing but I knew if I followed the formulas I was good

Back