Has anyone here gone back to school after years in your respective industry?

Thoughts?

• Total voters
I can't do any college courses until I get my GED, or at least that's what I've been told.

I can totally see you with a firearm, though.
Also, they do the GED programs with your comm college enrollment. I believe but I am not quite sure whether or not you can do concurrent classes as well. Regardless whether or not you continue on with your college education it NEVER hurts to complete your GED. We have been trying to get our one friend to do his FOREVER, since the end of high school in 99. He refuses to and it substantially hurt his job opportunities later in life.

I graduated from junior college at 21 and I already felt like I was surrounded by idiots. Can't imagine what it's like at 30/40-something.

The intelligence gap between basic CC courses and Uni-level courses is fucking huge, though. I'm honestly looking forward to working on my Master's.

Last edited:
I would strongly advise against it. Take the money you would spend in school and start building up a side hustle. There are a thousand ways to earn some money online nowadays, if you want to learn then learn a valuable skill and keep building up your hustle on the side.

I don't know what exactly your skills will apply to, but im sure there must be some niche out there.

Business degrees themselves are becoming less relevant now.

If you are worried about automation, learning a computer language is a good safety net. As each automated process will have some kind of human interaction at the CDIO stage and the audit stage.
Yes this is something I've also thought about - I have roughly 25 more years to go in this industry so I need something else to fall back on.

Also, they do the GED programs with your comm college enrollment. I believe but I am not quite sure whether or not you can do concurrent classes as well. Regardless whether or not you continue on with your college education it NEVER hurts to complete your GED. We have been trying to get our one friend to do his FOREVER, since the end of high school in 99. He refuses to and it substantially hurt his job opportunities later in life.
I spoke to someone at U of H, here in Houston, who said that I'd definitely need my GED first before enrolling in community college. She'll work with me on the tuition once I get that far, IF I choose a logistics based degree.

I would strongly advise against it. Take the money you would spend in school and start building up a side hustle. There are a thousand ways to earn some money online nowadays, if you want to learn then learn a valuable skill and keep building up your hustle on the side.

I don't know what exactly your skills will apply to, but im sure there must be some niche out there.

The GED course and first 2 years of community college are virtually nothing money wise.

My side hustle is Doge Coin bro.

I spoke to someone at U of H, here in Houston, who said that I'd definitely need my GED first before enrolling in community college. She'll work with me on the tuition once I get that far, IF I choose a logistics based degree.
I think the class for the GED they offered at my college was like...a pre-GED test class or something, where you brush up on all the topics covered. Instead of just trying to nail the test cold turkey. But i mean, as long as you brush up on math first its not all that hard I do not think.

I think the class for the GED they offered at my college was like...a pre-GED test class or something, where you brush up on all the topics covered. Instead of just trying to nail the test cold turkey. But i mean, as long as you brush up on math first its not all that hard I do not think.
Look the GED is pretty much designed for people who don't speak, read or write in English to pass. I took it when I was 15, never read any of the English stories as they were so stupid they'd put the literal answers into the questions. The hardest thing on there was y=mx+b and I don't even think they require you to manipulate past a single digit.

Don't you dare make the GED seem hard. I could've for sure passed it in the 8th grade, possibly even the 5th grade had I been taught pre algebra. Albeit I do know a guy who failed the math portion.

The GED course and first 2 years of community college are virtually nothing money wise.

My side hustle is Doge Coin bro.

Oh right, you are set for life with doge.

But i'd still recommend learning a skill. The course will teach you minimal actual skills compared to what you can learn by yourself in 6 months.

lmao no, that's complete bullshit. the most viable degree after an engineering degree is a business degree. Its the only degree where a c-/1.7 gpa will get you a job that pays 85k+ a year straight out of school. If you want to make money and not go past a 4 year degree yet not want to go balls deep in math, then you should major in business.

Won't you be retired in 10 years?

The hardest thing on there was y=mx+b and I don't even think they require you to manipulate past a single digit.

This is where I'm lost. In my industry, we need to know addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, volume, square meters, distance.

All the algebra and geometry is where I falter - I can't even help my 12 year old with her math homework.

At around 23 I went to college after working a desk job for about 5 years. It was a really good decision. I wish I'd have continued on for my masters.

Also, waiting gave me time to figure out some things I wanted in my life. I think everyone should work a year or two before college.

lmao no, that's complete bullshit. the most viable degree after an engineering degree is a business degree. Its the only degree where a c-/1.7 gpa will get you a job that pays 85k+ a year straight out of school. If you want to make money and not go past a 4 year degree yet not want to go balls deep in math, then you should major in business.

Where are you getting that from? Might be true for top colleges but just any business degree with a subpar gpa won't get you 85k

@Cool Hand Luke I pulled an O'Malley when I was young and made sure I'd try every drug I could get my hands on, dropped out and took my GED at 15. I dropped out of community college after a bad skateboard accident and realized I couldn't pursue an automotive career anymore. I didn't get my shit together until I was like 23-24 and even now I still don't but I managed to get like 95% of my tuition covered at a 45k a year private university. That was with an gpa of like 3.0-3.1 cumulative. Now I'm in my last semester, currently perusing grad schools and sitting at a 3.74 cumulative. I'm also 27 and probably the 2nd or May 3rd oldest student on campus and I often find that knowledge daunting to say the least.

One of my professors got her Ph.D at 67, runs her own private practice in Menlo Park, runs and owns ac clothing store, all while teaching at 3 different uni's , one of which is grad school. She's a bad ass Indian lady though, but still, it gives me the motivation and the inspiration to achieve.

Also, I will never stop telling people to go back to school but man right now is the best and most viable time to go. I had my entire tuition last year covered and then some, I think I had like 3-4k extra then I spent because they got a government bailout. Then I got emergency aid that ended up with me spending 150$ out of pocket for a pretty much ball to the wall laptop. Also almost all community college classes right now are asynchronous so there are no scheduled class meetings and on top of that ever damn test I've had at all these community colleges during these times have had all the answers online. I took 3 business course to pique my interest and found that they cover the same exact shit regardess if its MGT 101, BUS 101, or a class about entreneupheruship in small business, all of them use cookie cutter tests. Also no one gives a shit about cheating, just that you get the work done. Even in my psych program ,all the classes taught by the head of the program are open book open notes, but they are all essay based tests so you can't really cheat if you don't understand the material. TLDR: I think I've put in maybe 1/10th of the work I've been putting in before COVID to get the same grades, all A's with a A- or B+ every other semester.

If you do choose to get an undergrad I recommend going to a small school, I don't think I'd be anywhere near as successful at a large uni where there's a couple 50- couple hundred people per class. It also helps a lot having class sizes under <20 people because it allows you to really build a good rapport with the professors and you also get a higher quality learning experience. Oh and private universities, at least the one I go to, allow for professors to create their own curriculum. Like I'm taking all upper-division classes, 3xx, 4xx yet half of them don't have quizzes or test just because its irrelevant to the learning outcome the professor is going for.

I also probably have a similar drive to a heroin addict, so I figure if I can get this far that you can as well if you put in the work.

Where are you getting that from? Might be true for top colleges but just any business degree with a subpar gpa won't get you 85k
I'm getting that from all my friends who graduated or still go to my school. That specific person has a 1.7 gpa, maybe even less and still landed a job that paid 85k a year + stock options. That job was at Tesla and shes been there for like 2 years now. All she literally does is answer fucking phone calls, and show off the latest models at a store front. The same chick would literally do all her classes while on the clock at work too. She also once asked if getting a D was passing and even our professor had a hard time trying to explain to her that a D doesn't get you credit just because she somehow managed to get credit for other courses with a D lol. She was at the bottom of the barrel, so to speak.

That's exactly why I said what I said because people want to confine others to their own version of reality. I got a buddy who was pulling 6 figures a year doing nothing but handyman work on craigslist. Just because you don't think something isn't possible or that because one person does it and they have something you don't, doesn't necessarily entail that those things are impossible

I also go to the best college when it comes to careers and jobs straight out, because they have an entire paid department that handles that and helps you with your own personal job/internship hunts. Also, that 85k is what the average Business major makes in the SF bay area.

Back