Sterling was absolutely pathetic

If you're the champion you shouldn't be throwing illegal strikes. Plain and simple. Yan didn't throw that in the heat of the moment, he had time to think and communicate with his corner and the ref even said he was down.

The referee asked him if he wanted a free win in a fight he was obviously gonna lose. How can you blame him for making the easy choice? He's gonna get a rematch, he's gonna go into the fight as champion meaning a much bigger payday and he's gonna get the win bonus, which knowing the UFC pay structure, is a lot. No shame in his choice - he would have been a fool not to take it actually.
Fighters like Anthony Smith are commended for not taking the easy way out. Fighters like Sterling who choose the easy way out are immortalized forever as cowards. Those are the consequences for taking the cowardly way out and faking an injury.

I don't care about a minor technicality. That man is standing up. Why the fuck is throwing a knee on a man that's literally standing up illegal?

Except he wasn't standing up.. If he was standing up it would have been legal.

Sterling was getting fucked in round 4.
Rogan and Cormier spouting shite about how he was only 2-1 down but everything was going south anyway if he hadn't been kneed.

I hope one day we find out the a guy clearly threw a fight because he bet on his opponent and won himself a couple million dollars and people on here are like "I don't know how you can blame him?? Who wouldn't do that? I blame the system that allows making millions of dollars off of betting against yourself! He'd be stupid not to!"

If they would have let him continue the fight the Ref and aljos corner would have get the Shitstorm of the century
Yeah, without a doubt. If that was a legal knee, the fight would have been stopped within seconds. So why people think he should have continued is a mystery to me

Yan has no one to blame but himself and people calling Aljo out for this are disgusting, plain and simple. Just don't throw illegal shit next time?

Got his fucking ass whooped, spent half the fight panic wrestling and throwing wild strikes. As soon as he found a way out because he was going to get killed in there he did some very bad acting saying that he's "dizzy" while he was just lying down panting on the canvas like a bitch. Absolutely pathetic and disgraceful and terrible decision of the UFC.

How is that even a downed strike? He was clearly standing up. Fucking stupid.

This can't be real.

Nah, Yan deserved to lose his belt for that. To see that type of shit from a UFC champion is totally unacceptable. Yan's legit psycho.

It was a bad foul. Yan was gesturing he didn't have a move to hit him from that position. And the grounded on the knees game is shit, so stupid. BJM tried to fix this, but it's not. So I can understand the frustration.

Rules have to be in place, so DQ's as well, but winning the belt like that isn't worth it. It's fine if he really was out. But, he wasn't. Played the rules game. Of course there is the pay thing with being champ, but choosing the path of a coward is never worth it. This will follow him.

Imagine for a second that was a legal strike. You don't take 10 minutes to decide the fight is over, bring in the doctor, all that silly shit. I think Mark Smith didn't want the responsibility of handing over the world title on a DQ. In reality, that should've been a DQ right away without putting so much of it on Sterling

Based on Sterling's mannerisms and the fact he was crying, I believe he thought he had lost and he was surprised when they put the belt on him
Of course he knew he would win by acting more hurt than he was, that's why he did it. I think he was crying because he knew he acted hurt to win the title and he didn't really win the fight and he probably knew he would receive a lot of criticism for taking the easy way out of a fight he was losing.

Yeah, without a doubt. If that was a legal knee, the fight would have been stopped within seconds. So why people think he should have continued is a mystery to me

And Aljo would have went BALLISTIC on the ref for stopping it.

Acting or not, that was a disgrace. These fighters know the rules and train accordingly.
He deserves the DQ.
Yan ruined it for himself. No one is going to take Aljo seriously anyway.

It was a bad foul. Yan was gesturing he didn't have a move to hit him from that position. And the grounded on the knees game is shit, so stupid. BJM tried to fix this, but it's not. So I can understand the frustration.

Rules have to be in place, so DQ's as well, but winning the belt like that isn't worth it. It's fine if he really was out. But, he wasn't. Played the rules game. Of course there is the pay thing with being champ, but choosing the path of a coward is never worth it. This will follow him.
I don't buy that he was acting dude. I think it would have been a terrible idea for Sterling to continue. It wasn't a bad foul, it was a horrendous foul.

You gonna call Sterling a coward? Seriously? Bad take, dude. He dropped the belt in the center of the ring. You can't continue to fight after a shot like that. Dude's likely concussed.

Kind of Ironic that he called Yan a paper champion and then wins the title by getting kneed in the face

lol I didn't think of that

reminds me of how he always used to do the "dab" thing with this arms and then Moraes KOd him and he went stiff doing a dab

what goes around..

The acting job Aljo put on looked like something out of pro wrestling. So he gets the title and extra money, but everyone knows he got his ass kicked and faked his way to the belt. Not exactly the legacy I'd want.

I don't buy that he was acting dude. I think it would have been a terrible idea for Sterling to continue. It wasn't a bad foul, it was a horrendous foul.

You gonna call Sterling a coward? Seriously? Bad take, dude. He dropped the belt in the center of the ring. You can't continue to fight after a shot like that. Dude's likely concussed.

He went to a doc and wasn't concussed. You don't have to be a doc to see what's going on.

Yan threw an illegal knee, he messed up. Sterling though went full Daniel Day-Lewis in there. He was gassed and beaten so he took the easy way out. He knows it, his corner knows it. Yan wrecks him even worse in the rematch, he's knows how soft Aljo is now, he already broke him.

Back