• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Law 5 Oklahoma officers charged in shooting of armed robbery suspect

nhbbear

Duty Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...-in-shooting-death-of-15-year-old/ar-BB1etcMY

Five Oklahoma police officers are being charged with first degree manslaughter after shooting a 15 year old male that had just robbed a convenience store. The owner locked the kid in the store as police arrived. Police addressed him over the loud speaker to show his hands. He climbed out of the drive through window, removed a gun from his waist, dropped the gun, then reached into his back pocket. He was then shot 13 times. Police rendered aid, but he died at the scene. An accomplice was charged with murder for taking part in the robbery but fled before police arrived.

Man, I really don’t know how I feel about this one. He committed armed robbery, had a gun when he climbed out of the window, but dropped the gun. He was shot because he reached into his back pocket to retrieve a cell phone. He appeared to be trying to surrender, lifting his shirt to show he had nothing in his waist, and he did have his hands up prior to reaching into his pocket.

Honestly, I can see both sides to this one, hence the thread. He was armed, but he looks scared and obviously made a fatal mistake. I don’t agree with the murder charge for the accomplice. He should be charged with first degree robbery, but being charged for murder because the police shot the other suspect is fucked up. I can understand why the officers perceived a threat at the moment he reached for the phone, but why would he go for a second gun after dropping the first one? If he was going to shoot at the officers, he would have just used that one. In my opinion, this was a bad shoot, however, does this warrant charges? I don’t know. All six officers on scene fired at the same time-with one of them firing a less lethal round-he was not charged.

According to Graham v Connor, the litmus test is whether a reasonable officer, given only the information officers had at the time of the shooting, have made the same decision. Officers knew he robbed the place, knew he had one gun, and didn’t know what he was reaching for. Graham also weighs the seriousness of the crime(very serious), the presence of a weapon, but Graham also looks at whether the suspect is actively resisting arrest or fleeing-neither of which occurred. Police stated he did not follow commands to keep his hands up.

I just don’t know about whether charges are warranted. I keep going back and forth on this one. The family definitely has a lawsuit. I don’t think the officers will be convicted in this case because of his actions prior to being shot-the armed robbery, but I don’t have definitive feelings either way. If he had reached into his pocket at a faster pace, I wouldn’t have an issue with the shooting. I do think that these would be the correct charges in this instance, and would have been the correct charges in the Floyd case imo, but they opted for overcharging due to immense pressure due to emotional feelings and fear of further riots, which is never a valid reason to file charges.

Wait..... Why is the guy being charged for murder because the cops shot and killed his accomplice? That's stretching Felony murder if you ask me.

As already stated, accomplices can be charged if their actions lead to a death, but in this case, I don’t agree. There were demonstrations over this and I don’t disagree

How old is that law? 'Murican legal system seems very convoluted from a layman looking in.

If you've already fled the scene and cops shoot someone surrendering are you "in the act"?

Retardo cops only mildly more intelligent than the robber, all deserve prison.

If you committed an act that ultimately leads to a death, you're responsible, no?

It's a bit convoluted but I can see the logic.

If you committed an act that ultimately leads to a death, you're responsible, no?

It's a bit convoluted but I can see the logic.

It's usually applied when the death is in furtherance of the collective crime. For instance, if the one robber killed a clerk, the accomplice would be on the hook for felony murder.

I've seen it charged in cases like this where one of the perpetrators is killed by law enforcement, but I don't think I've ever seen it land a conviction.

Typical police corruption. They kill a guy and then charge a dude who wasn't even present for the killing with his murder. Disgusting. But at least they were all charged with manslaughter for killing an unarmed man. If you sign up to be a police officer you are signing up to take a degree of risk. Don't be a pussy who shoots someone for flinching

definitely seems like a bad shoot. But the kid did an armed robbery and then further showed his non existent IQ by ignoring commands and reaching in his pocket with guns trained on him so i wont be in the streets protesting. Id fire the police and prohibit them from any job involving a fire arm and move along.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...-in-shooting-death-of-15-year-old/ar-BB1etcMY

Five Oklahoma police officers are being charged with first degree manslaughter after shooting a 15 year old male that had just robbed a convenience store. The owner locked the kid in the store as police arrived. Police addressed him over the loud speaker to show his hands. He climbed out of the drive through window, removed a gun from his waist, dropped the gun, then reached into his back pocket. He was then shot 13 times. Police rendered aid, but he died at the scene. An accomplice was charged with murder for taking part in the robbery but fled before police arrived.

Man, I really don’t know how I feel about this one. He committed armed robbery, had a gun when he climbed out of the window, but dropped the gun. He was shot because he reached into his back pocket to retrieve a cell phone. He appeared to be trying to surrender, lifting his shirt to show he had nothing in his waist, and he did have his hands up prior to reaching into his pocket.

Honestly, I can see both sides to this one, hence the thread. He was armed, but he looks scared and obviously made a fatal mistake. I don’t agree with the murder charge for the accomplice. He should be charged with first degree robbery, but being charged for murder because the police shot the other suspect is fucked up. I can understand why the officers perceived a threat at the moment he reached for the phone, but why would he go for a second gun after dropping the first one? If he was going to shoot at the officers, he would have just used that one. In my opinion, this was a bad shoot, however, does this warrant charges? I don’t know. All six officers on scene fired at the same time-with one of them firing a less lethal round-he was not charged.

According to Graham v Connor, the litmus test is whether a reasonable officer, given only the information officers had at the time of the shooting, have made the same decision. Officers knew he robbed the place, knew he had one gun, and didn’t know what he was reaching for. Graham also weighs the seriousness of the crime(very serious), the presence of a weapon, but Graham also looks at whether the suspect is actively resisting arrest or fleeing-neither of which occurred. Police stated he did not follow commands to keep his hands up.

I just don’t know about whether charges are warranted. I keep going back and forth on this one. The family definitely has a lawsuit. I don’t think the officers will be convicted in this case because of his actions prior to being shot-the armed robbery, but I don’t have definitive feelings either way. If he had reached into his pocket at a faster pace, I wouldn’t have an issue with the shooting. I do think that these would be the correct charges in this instance, and would have been the correct charges in the Floyd case imo, but they opted for overcharging due to immense pressure due to emotional feelings and fear of further riots, which is never a valid reason to file charges.

Just fyi Grahamn is the case that deals with police civil liability not criminal. People rely on it when they get beat up and then sue the police for money damages. I don't know criminal law but the burden is always higher to prove criminal over civil liability.

Without seeing the footage, from what's described the cops should 100% be charged.

Again thats just from the narrative.

The suspect reaching backward and into his waistband while being ordered to show hands makes this shoot justified in my opinion. Further buttressing that opinion is the crime he committed - armed robbery. It nearly looks like suicide by cop to me. If I remove one gun from my waistband while being ordered to show hands, with guns trained on me, and proceed to reach into the back of my waistband, I would expect to get lit up. There seems to be a real problem in understanding compliance after committing a violent crime. I have seen many examples of a suspect reaching into their pocket or waistband in a similar fashion, and instead of a cellphone, the suspect reaches for a concealed weapon and draws on the officers.

Last edited:
Back