5 episodes into the wire and

Man if your not liking it in season 1 already then season 2 is going to make you want to kill yourself. I think the show is overrated. The worst part is it could have been better but they ruined it.

'm also gonna make a top of the head guess and say you didn't watch any of the bigfoot stuff I reccomended you.
It's the best theory you've had so far about BigFoot, I'll tell you that much.
Episode 6 was the best episode so far. So id say for me the previous episodes seem better in retrospect, because the characters and story are being fleshed out and the peices are coming together. Where as before watching this episode and episode 5 one through 4 are less impressive.

Won't get till episode 7 until tomorrow afternoon or so but I'll update then
Also, LAW AND ORDER is sympathetic television. Much like Quentin Tarantino's notion of "hanging out with the gang" LAW AND ORDER basically conforms to our safe notions about the world by tackling the ineffable real-life grotesqueries that it rips from our headlines.

THE WIRE eschews sympathy, and thereby plays on your empathy. Now you have to come into a world that you don't really know and surround yourself with unfamiliar people whom, upon returning season after season, change. Beyond serialization, this 1) broadening of audience horizons and 2) engagement of preconceived social mores and institutions -- signify THE WIRE as being far closer to art than most television.

Honestly if it's not hitting you why this is a very different proceedural after 5 episodes, you likely won't see anything by 10 episodes or a season that changes your perspective. It's all about scale and internal politics and 360 degree respresentation of all the parties involved that most proceedurals don't bother with, but that's kind of baked in from episode 1. The formula won't change much even though the scope does.

Even if you don't see it as the masterpiece it's lauded as being, it still works as a fun cop show.

Yo Omars comin...

I liked the Wire a lot but I almost feel like it's overrated. It's kind of "cool" to say the wire is the greatest show ever but I don't really think it is. It's pretty damn good don't get me wrong but IMO Breaking Bad shits on it. Much better show. Even early seasons of OZ on HBO I think are better.
It’s not the GOAT, but it absolutely deserves its spot as an honorable mention.

People will tell you it's a slow burn. Those people are idiots. It's great from jump. Perhaps your tv is upside down and you find yourself confused because everyone is walking around on the ceiling? Ask your mom for help.
People say it's a slow burn just to prepare folks for the 2nd season. It's very slow and not particularly good, but does set up a lot of stuff for the rest of the show. 1st season is amazing.

People say it's a slow burn just to prepare folks for the 2nd season. It's very slow and not particularly good, but does set up a lot of stuff for the rest of the show. 1st season is amazing.

the second season is brilliant and unlike any other show ever.

I think some of you really are in denial here. The show's are very similar. Watch a random episode of law and order especially the early seasons and an episode of the wire and tell me its not similar, it is.

It's not. The first season focusing on the police and the drug dealers may make it seem like that but each season focuses on an entirely different part of the city.

Can never make it past 3 or 4 episodes of The Wire. Boring.

Trash compared to Prison Break.

Lmao they couldn't be more night and day. Prison Break is entirely "OMG, they are definitely gonna be caught now. How are they gonna get out of this one? Stay tuned and find out after the commercial break."

@revoltub

McNulty is essentially the main star, as you can tell. He's a top-notch detective who lives to be a detective, and he hates his bosses. He actually has a limited role in s4, but he comes back with a vengeance in s5 and goes full-McNulty.

His character captures the essence of the show. He just wants to do his job, but politics always corrupt everything. The police department, the school system, the newspaper (s5), etc. are all corrupted by stats and appearances. But the show spends 5 seasons with the police department, so you'll see all of their horseshit, in particular.

Lester Freeman is a very similar cop to McNulty ("natural po-lice"). He's probably making dollhouse furniture right now lol.

You'll also see some epic shit from Bunny Colvin. He's in s3 and s4, but they actually bring him in for one episode in s2 to help set up his story.

And Senator Clay Davis is the best character. He's the biggest scumbag in Baltimore.

Lmao they couldn't be more night and day. Prison Break is entirely "OMG, they are definitely gonna be caught now. How are they gonna get out of this one? Stay tuned and find out after the commercial break."
The pipe factors greatly in both series tho....

Im on episode 9. Damn Omar got him.

I feel like something is up with this stringer Bell fellow. Charles seems to be questioning Avon too much during the basketball seen about the hit on omar.

Just finished episode 10.

:eek:

This just got personal for me. How could they.

tenor.gif

I'll continue watching tomorrow.

Funny, I just started watching too. Maybe 4 episodes in now? Seems pretty average so far. Keep waiting to hear a chief say “you’re off the case!”

I enjoyed learning about the Baldimore accent and balmorese

Last edited:
Never watched the show when it originally aired. Ended up seeing it a few years after and I am about to start my 6th rewatch of the series. It is by far for me personally the greatest television show ever produced.

Its a really good show but hasn't aged very well. Great writing though.
I think it more relevant today than ever portland actually built a hamsterdam in the entire city for people to do drugs in like the wire.

Back