Do guys like Khabib and Fedor train in BJJ?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I know both are sambo guys which got me wondering, do these guys train in BJJ or is sambo complete enough in regards to ground fighting and overall grappling?

Is Sambo ground complete enough to rival BJJ and Catch/shoot wrestling?

I know both are sambo guys which got me wondering, do these guys train in BJJ or is sambo complete enough in regards to ground fighting and overall grappling?

Khabib "trains" bjj when he's in the States at AKA. He doesn't follow classes but just grapples when it's grappling day at AKA against bjj guys

He doesn't do gi grappling and he's not even a white belt

Khabib.png

No they do a superior style called sambo. Ive never seen khabib wearing a gi

On fightpass there is a grappling competition called “quintet” with teams going against each other. One of the teams was a sambo team. Not sure which quintet it was. You should watch that.

You’re going to get a bunch of answers on here from dudes that never trained a day in their lives.

I don’t think so. Fedor certainly didn’t train much BJJ, I don’t think. Sambo and judo is where his submission and ground game came from. Wouldn’t surprise me if Khabib trained it some, being at AKA though,

Last edited:
No they do a superior style called sambo. Ive never seen khabib wearing a gi
Sambo World cup video where Khabib is wearing Sambo Gi (Gi top with trunks). He knows a thing or two about gi grips and judo throws.

Last edited:
Of course.

Pure Style vs Pure style mentality in MMA these days is archaic and bound to get the fighters hurt.

When someone does something like that it's probably best to take in the context of the dominant narrative at the time.

At the time Khabib wore the shirt the dominant narrative was that BJJ + Wrestling + some muy thai was the end all be all.

When someone plays that my style vs that style card they are typically repping a style that people have decided is bullshido when in reality it kicks ass.

Anyone that isn't of the mindset that you should train with guys from other disciplines and styles to learn from is IMO shortsighted and it's going to get their fighters hurt unnecessarily.

pretty sure renzo gracie said khabib trains bjj quite a bit

sambo and bjj share the same base in judo iirc. One of the russian students went and started sambo while . The submissions in principal are the same at least for the most fundamental stuff.

Khabib absolutely trains BJJ. All fighters do to some degree, although most do no-gi for obvious reasons.
gKMtc1KG-720.jpg
this is a press tour he did for the media. It was literally a photo op. All of his gi photos are photo ops. He probably had a gi since he participated in judo matches.

Back