Mediocre fighters who present stylistic challenges to all time greats

Maybe Santos? Not really medicore but definetly has some holes in his game, despite that he did pretty well for himself at LHW using his striking. Posed a serious problem for Jones.

is it me or your suggestions are completely random Oo ?

Nice thread concept, but to play devils advocate TS most of your examples are where the underdog is a weight class bigger than their more skilled opponents.

While I do agree with u that their matchups are problematic stylistically, I think it’s their size advantage that would help them in those matchups as well.

I really feel that Derek Brunson matches up well with GSP. Would have loved to see karo Parisyan vs Khabib. Silva would have had a hard time Thiago Silva. I could see Check Congo hurting a prime fedor. I could see conor having a tuff go with prime Diego, due to cardio and just persistent grappling.

Thiago Silva was a brawler and very hittable.
Machida took him to school, so would Anderson.

Nice thread concept, but to play devils advocate TS most of your examples are where the underdog is a weight class bigger than their more skilled opponents.

While I do agree with u that their matchups are problematic stylistically, I think it’s their size advantage that would help them in those matchups as well.
He doesnt really reference why these are stylistic challenges other than Diego/Conor. He just rattles off random "open weight" fights. Which is a different topic altogether.

I’m not saying Chael is mediocre but he’s definitely not if the same class as Anderson Silva , they fought 7 rounds total and Chael won 5 of them .
In the 2 rounds he lost he got finished, but still pretty impressive

I really feel that Derek Brunson matches up well with GSP. Would have loved to see karo Parisyan vs Khabib. Silva would have had a hard time Thiago Silva. I could see Check Congo hurting a prime fedor. I could see conor having a tuff go with prime Diego, due to cardio and just persistent grappling.
Alexander Gustaffson could beat Stipe IMO.

Fight is over in one minute.
Lesnar rushes like crazy to try to take Ngannou down. Ngannou avoids the takedown and now Brock is already desperate. Ngannou lands a couple good shots and Brock panics and falls down, Ngannou finishes him with GnP.

And we are talking about prime Brock. If they were to fight today it would end in 20 seconds.
Lesnar by GNP finish
ShyBackCicada-max-1mb.gif

Round 2bork1}

I think Genki Sudo could have been problematic for BJ Penn. I think Don Frye would have been trouble for Wanderlei, Shogun, or even early Fedor.

Then there's Goran Reljic. He would have murdered all the legends, but he injured himself being an upstanding citizen and was never the same. Also, post injury, he got a FOTN against Jan.

Even if he does,I wouldnt go as far as to call him medicore. I was pretty cetain Khabib would beat him,but he is a good fighter.
Yes I concede that his record speaks in his favor. The thing is, maybe I am splitting hair, but for me record does not determine a fighters' quality alone. Polished technique is important to me. You can't deny that if you take Tony's gas tank and aggression and unmatched chin and durability, he often ends up looking like dog shit and always has.

Ok mediocre is an exaggeration I admit. But even at his peak, before the Gaezje fight, I never thought he was great.

Fight is over in one minute.
Lesnar rushes like crazy to try to take Ngannou down. Ngannou avoids the takedown and now Brock is already desperate. Ngannou lands a couple good shots and Brock panics and falls down, Ngannou finishes him with GnP.

And we are talking about prime Brock. If they were to fight today it would end in 20 seconds.

TBF though even "prime" Brock has to deal with veey seriously health issues. I am not sure that we ever had a "prime" Brock.

Back