Conor’s issue isn’t with cardio, it’s with pacing

DatSamboKid

Muay Khao
@red
Reaction score
I think the narrative that Conor has bad cardio is erroneous. I believe it’s more of an issue with his pacing.

Track and field athletes have excellent cardio, but they are also taught the importance of pacing your effort. Sprinting the first 400m in a mile race might have you in first place, but you’ll run out of strength in the later laps and you’ll lose the race.

This concept isn’t different in MMA. Yoel Romero had "bad cardio" and shat himself in the third round against Brunson. He then corrected his pace and fought 5 round wars against Whittaker on two separate occasions.

McGregor is a sprinter. He goes 100% for the first two rounds and fades later in the fight. This is normal, not fading would be abnormal. Luckily this is something that can be corrected, but it will require him to start using more strategy and stop spamming the left hand.

I’m out.

Lol @ the Romero shat himself in the 3rd round.

romero_poop_pants.0.jpg

True, but people will always post "like if Conor only hit a treadmill he could fight the same way for 5 rounds".

If you have good cardio, pacing isn't as much of an issue. Conor needed to train at altitude. I think it's too late now though.

Well when people say "cardio" in MMA very often "pacing" is actually what they mean.

I don't think Romero has shit cardio, I think its down to age and just pacing himself

Back