Did Simone Biles quit or did she do the right thing by checking out of the Team Finals?

Frocking Twitter has turned this into a social justice issue now. :(

Attachments

• 0569C077-E9A7-4131-83E0-7B4208510524.png
    0569C077-E9A7-4131-83E0-7B4208510524.png
    442.1 KB · Views: 27
Even if she were under a ton of pressure it probably would have been easier for her to just compete as long as she could physically make herself go through the motions. If she put on a shitty performance she could just say that she had an off day. Pulling herself out like this is something people will ask her about forever.
That would actually be less responsible towards her teammates and weighing her own self interest more heavily

Only she can know if what she did was for the best. As the saying goes, it's easy to criticize, but tough to be the man in the arena.
This is not the right time to invoke Teddy.

Because that's the point: she's not. She's not the Man in the Arena. She receded from the arena. The "Man in the Arena" is a defense of failure in the context of trying. It doesn't work when the failure is the failure to try.

She quit. Why is it so acceptable to be soft these days?

Imagine one of those Russian gymnasts pulling herself out in the middle of the competition due to mental weakness. They wouldn’t. They’d suck it the fuck up. It took everything they had to get here and they’d make the best of their opportunity.
Jesus, the entitelment of fans lol.

Why is everyone blowing their load over this chick? Do people really care that much about gymnastics?
Which country are you from?

I'm with her because if you fear for your mental health then it's time to throw the towel in. My main worry is the fucktwat press will cause her more grief than had she gone through with it.
These Olympics have been fucked up from the get-go.

Same with the tennis girl, if you don't feel happy and confident enough you can just walk off. Many times I wish I could have work wise.

I'm with her because if you fear for your mental health then it's time to throw the towel in. My main worry is the fucktwat press will cause her more grief than had she gone through with it.

Same with the tennis girl, if you don't feel happy and confident enough you can just walk off. Many times I wish I could have work wise.
Australia.

It is because we're trying to build a world that fucking functions man.
In what possible way a gold medal is more important than a breakdown?
For what reason exactly should she suck it up and jump/do whatever the fuck she does? Who does it benefit?
If it’s that bad, then she shouldn’t be on the team. She wasn’t right in the trials either. I’m sure we’re not going to agree here, and I’m okay with that.

It's bizarre. How do you get this far and just quit?
She was already "so far", she just cracked. I can understand it Again with the tennis woman Osaka she didn't want the pressers, too much pressure. Especially recently, we've lacked big competition sport for so long due to Covid that the press is all over them.

She’s been the GOAT for a long time. I think the Covid Olympics affected her more than she thought it would. I’m sure a lot of athletes feel the same way.

Really the one who was screwed over the most was her. She could have coasted along, medaled and got a few more commercials. Maybe lucked into a gold if others came thru or craziness happened and gotten millions of dollars.

But she decided to bounce instead and put her long term health first. Mental, physical or both.

she should have walked away before the olympic trials. i imagine that there's probably a dozen or so women that could have qualified to be on the team but simone took up the spot. these women dreamed of competing to have a chance to win gold but simone took that opportunity away.

Even if she were under a ton of pressure it probably would have been easier for her to just compete as long as she could physically make herself go through the motions. If she put on a shitty performance she could just say that she had an off day. Pulling herself out like this is something people will ask her about forever.
It's now being called "The Osaka Syndrome". Elite athletes caving to too much pressure and mental fatigue to compete.
gimme a break.
quit and go get a job at Subway.
they are short of workers selling their fake tuna.

It's bizarre. How do you get this far and just quit?
I wouldn’t be surprised if she performs in the individual event and she wins it. And the narrative will be “She overcame and won gold!.” Or she probably doesn’t want to hurt her brand as the “GOAT.” If she doesn’t compete and takes a L, people will say “She wasn’t mentally there but she is the GOAT!”

We’ve all done things where we were scared. But we’ve done them. What is she so worried?

She was out there dancing with a silver? If I were her teammate I would’ve said “Nope. F that.” But Biles has this PR machine behind her who would kill that teammates career.

If it’s that bad, then she shouldn’t be on the team. She wasn’t right in the trials either. I’m sure we’re not going to agree here, and I’m okay with that.

I mean I'm not trying to justify her, being in there mentally is part of a performance.
But once it didn't happen, for whatever reason, what is the point of going out there and making a fool of yourself?

I work mental health and had my run ins with depression and anxiety. It is not being soft, man. A soft person does not survive that shit. If she didn't think she could do it that's her decision, mental health is health and she might as well have ran with a broken leg.

Back