Did Simone Biles quit or did she do the right thing by checking out of the Team Finals?

TheNinja

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/27/sport/simone-biles-tokyo-2020-olympics/index.html

Biles does a super easy vault....then tells her teammates she has to pull out of the rest of the events b/c of mental health reasons.

I'm torn on this. GOATs don't "quit" on their team. I can't imagine Tom Brady sitting down after 1 throw in the SuperBowl due to too much pressure.

But if she was legit "injured" (if you could mental illness an "injury") then better to pull out and let her teammates continue on vs contine on herself an make all sorts of errors.

To me it seems like the pressure just got to her too much. But I don't know what is going on in her head so can't say.
The only thing annoys me was her wearing all these gear with goats on them.....and then pulling this. It's tough.

60cccf613093db00197020bf

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/27/sport/simone-biles-tokyo-2020-olympics/index.html

Biles does a super easy vault....then tells her teammates she has to pull out of the rest of the events b/c of mental health reasons.

I'm torn on this. GOATs don't "quit" on their team. I can't imagine Tom Brady sitting down after 1 throw in the SuperBowl due to too much pressure.
But if she was legit "injured" (if you could mental illness an "injury") then better to pull out and let her teammates continue on vs contine on herself an make all sorts of errors.

To me it seems like the pressure just got to her too much.

60cccf613093db00197020bf

I don't care what anyone says, that girl is an inspiration. People are going to rag on her for "quitting", but pulling out was an act of selflessness and a show of extreme respect for her teammates. She knew she didn't have it in her to perform at the level necessary to win a medal, and she stepped aside in order to give her team the best chance for success.

Why couldn't she just dig down and show the world what she is capable of? Who knows and who cares. That is her decision to make, and she has earned every right to be given the benefit of the doubt in this situation.

She has accomplished so much for herself and represented her sport and her country for the better part of a decade, and excelled at the highest of levels (while living under a microscope). The same people who are going to be hating on her are the same ones who sweat through their shirts when speaking in public.

This girl is a champion - she was walking into these games, and she is walking out.

I don't care what anyone says, that girl is an inspiration. People are going to rag on her for "quitting", but pulling out was an act of selflessness and a show of extreme respect for her teammates. She knew she didn't have it in her to perform at the level necessary to win a medal, and she stepped aside in order to give her team the best chance for success.

Why couldn't she just dig down and show the world what she is capable of? Who knows and who cares. That is her decision to make, and she has earned every right to be given the benefit of the doubt in this situation.

She has accomplished so much for herself and represented her sport and her country for the better part of a decade, and excelled at the highest of levels (while living under a microscope). The same people who are going to be hating on her are the same ones who sweat through their shirts when speaking in public.

This girl is a champion - she was walking into these games, and she is walking out.

Only she can know if what she did was for the best. As the saying goes, it's easy to criticize, but tough to be the man in the arena.

People are also acting like she's not going to be replaced. That's what alternates are for, she's not leaving the team in a worse place than if she didn't compete at all

Perfectly said

I don't know, just feels weird to me. Every frontrunner has that pressure on them, it's part of sports in general. I get Ronda vibes here, it's someone who is used to dominating, pressure got to her enough to affect her performance, so she quit.

What's odd to me is people celebrating her, sports were always about overcoming pressure, not bailing when faced with it.

I mean, I'm not judging her or shaming her, she is clearly incredible at what she does. Just giving my perspective on it.

Even if she were under a ton of pressure it probably would have been easier for her to just compete as long as she could physically make herself go through the motions. If she put on a shitty performance she could just say that she had an off day. Pulling herself out like this is something people will ask her about forever.

She quit. Why is it so acceptable to be soft these days?

Imagine one of those Russian gymnasts pulling herself out in the middle of the competition due to mental weakness. They wouldn’t. They’d suck it the fuck up. It took everything they had to get here and they’d make the best of their opportunity.

She quit. Why is it so acceptable to be soft these days?

Imagine one of those Russian gymnasts pulling herself out in the middle of the competition due to mental weakness. They wouldn’t. They’d suck it the fuck up. It took everything they had to get here and they’d make the best of their opportunity.

It is because we're trying to build a world that fucking functions man.
In what possible way a gold medal is more important than a breakdown?
For what reason exactly should she suck it up and jump/do whatever the fuck she does? Who does it benefit?

Back