movies where you had low expectations but were surprised with how good they were

The Tomorrow War. Heard it got horrible reviews but it was a good entertaining popcorn flick.

just watched this last night, didn't have high expectations...but turned out better than i thought, like you said, was a good popcorn flick

Edge of Tomorrow

John Wick

Nobody

lets hear them

for me, spiderman into the spider-verse is at top of list. Ive never been a spiderman fan, dont care much for any of the movies, so seeing a cartoon version didnt jump at me as something to see. But damn was that an enjoyable film to watch. Great soundtrack, funny, just a well done film that felt different than whats normally pushed out there
spiderverse.jpg

The "Dredd" movie from 2012 was a surprise as well. Hated the first, zero expectations for the sequal. But the 2012 film didnt try to do a back story to create an origin or anything like that. Just straight up a day in the life of a 'Judge. Hot co-star as well

"Hereditary" is another one where I enjoyed it so much that I have to tell everyone who is a horror fan about it, and kinda like m night shamylan, im now going to probably watch every film from that director in hopes that he can keep the momentum going

Agreed. Spiderverse has become my number one Superhero movie.

John Wick.

I hadn’t heard much about it and just assumed it was another in the “middle aged man who’s secretly a badass gets revenge” genre that’s been going since Taken. Didn’t expect anything special

Then this shit hits and Keanu stoically opens that basement door

I went “oh shit” and realized I was dealing with something very different here

Prince of Persia, movie reviews made be believe it was a bad movie until watch it.

Totally impressed how good the movie is.

I now pronounce you Chuck and Larry - it had horrible reviews. But I laughed my ass off... and I generally dislike Sandler and Kevin James. It’s legitimately one of the funniest comedies in the last 10-15 years.

Chappie -
the critics hated it. WTF were they smoking? It’s an awesome movie. A beautiful live-action cyberpunk fairy tale. I fucking loved it

The Room - I expected the worst movie ever, and technically it was. But I loved every minute of it. Very few things are better than an earnest shit show. A movie were the filmmaker is obviously trying but just sucks. The Room is the gold standard. Also: as a lover of Mulholland Drive I got a huge kick out of seeing its influence written all over this shit show. It’s amazing how a filmmaker can have the best influences (Lynch, James Dean) and still churn out shit. A must watch for any lover of film

The third spiderman movie with Tobey Maguire. Harsh times, and blue valentine

Went in expecting this one to be your typical pile-of-shit cash grab capitalizing on the superhero craze, and I was pleasantly surprised:
71NGAE0yPvL._SL1000_.jpg

This one had a lot more going on that I expected:
71KKdg5YiUL._AC_SL1331_.jpg

This one was great:
czTnUvy1jrfbzzDbX0xny4pozAQ.jpg

as a shining fan, i was pleasantly surprised by dr sleep- not great, but better than i thought it was gonna be-

and spiderverse knocked my socks off too- waaay better than i expected it to be

X-men First Class, after the shitty Wolverine and X3 movies I had no hope and they came out with a great prequel

I will 100% admit that The Man With The Iron Fists defeated my racism.

When I saw the trailer I thought I knew exactly what it was gonna be...the cool black martial arts hero defeats fat white Russel Crowe, all the asians look up to the black guy, lots of annoying hip hop in the background.

Holy fuck was I wrong. That movie is one of the best modern martial arts flicks out there.
<Lmaoo>

Back