Aldo on re-matching Conor

KOPPE

אהיה אשר אהיה
@red
Reaction score
3437.jpg

“No, I don’t see myself fighting Conor. Never, I think. I can even say that. It might happen tomorrow, but that’s not the path. I root for him today, I hope he recovers from the injury and fights again at the highest level and becomes champion again"

“I’m going after a fight for the belt, I want to build this career at bantamweight and make history this way. I’m happy that Sonnen and others are talking about this rematch, but I don’t see myself [fighting him].

https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/8/...-closes-door-conor-mcgregor-rematch-never-ufc

Such a shame Aldo never got rematch, but than again no surprise considering Connie never did another fight at 145. Imagine Cain never getting rematch with JDS after that fluke KO. But sometimes things in UFC goes weird way

Last edited:
Fight won’t happen mostly because of the weight. Conor can’t get to 145 anymore and Aldo has slimmed down for 135. Aldo should have gotten his rematch 5 years ago but it’s too late now.

He's moved on. Right fully so, since one fights at 135 and the other fights at 170 (if he can help it).

It's too bad they couldn't rematch at 145 back in the day. Aldo wanted it - as long as it wasn't short notice. And Conor moved on to bigger (literally) and better (arguably) things.

Last edited:
For once a guy that is not kicking a guy while he is down and is real about where both stand, he made a huge effort in dropping to 135, not interested in chasing a guy that is out for months and fights 20lbs above that...or more.

So respectful and classy

Yep I think he came out after the injury saying he was praying for him, has also referred to him as a “champion” who will come back when questioned about Conor possibly going on a comeback trail. A legend and one who carries himself with absolute class.

Conor on the other hand has less class then a communist utopia

I mean it doesn't really matter. I heavily favor Conor in a rematch whether at 145, 155, 170 etc. Though Conor can't make 145 these days.

Conor is a bad stylistic matchup for Aldo and he also has big physical advantages over Aldo as well (height, reach).

Aldo is trying to say he gets no benefits by fighting Conor. He wants to fight for the belt and fighting Conor won't help him realize that.

Where would they rematch though? No way Conor makes 145 nowadays and Aldo is way to small for 155.
This. Aldo right now is focused on trying to get the 135 BW belt. Before he would've jumped on an opportunity to rematch Conor, right now he's going for bigger goals - like trying to be a 2 division champion.

Back