Woodley vs. Paul Heavies Megathread

He’s just coming to collect a fat check, and although I doubt he will intentionally take a dive, I think he’s pretty much going into it just hoping for the best and mostly motivated just to get his show money.

My advice to my sherbros don’t invest any emotion into Woodley, he does not represent MMA strikers and we all know it. He might still pull it off, but the more likely scenario as he goes in lethargic as always, misses a few telegraphed haymakers and gets embarrassed. And it’s OK.

Tyron Woodley, Ben Askren, these are not names the average person outside of sherdog has even heard of. They’ll say Jake just beat some MMA guy that used to fight in the UFC.

The only real intriguing fight that would carry a lot of meaning among both hardcore and casuals would be Anderson Silva right now. He’s the guy that carries a massive name and also the boxing skillset to represent the sports top strikers, and he’s around Jakes size too.
He's fallen in and out of love with MMA, that's all.

I don't give a shit what anyone has to say. If tyron can stand toe to toe with the best strikers in the world such as till, lawler, and wonderboy. He can definitely knock out jake. There is still too many unknowns with that cringy loud mouth disney kid. How good is his heart, cardio, and conditioning ? Its a no brainer that a multiple time ufc champion will brutally ktfo a tik tok dancing pansie.

You guys don't get it. I don't understand how you keep missing it.

Boxing rules are very different from mma rules. Takedowns and kicks RADICALLY change posture, footwork, setups, ducking, etc.

The better tyron is at mma the more it hurts him in boxing. Whether tyron is old or on a losing streak doesn't matter. Tyron is doubtless a greater fighter, but the only real question is whether tyron has real boxing experience and can effectively adapt to the boxing ring in a few months.

Woodley is not gonna throw a fight. People act like these guys don't have pride. This isn't Ben Askren. He wants to beat Paul up.

Or maybe they don't give a fuck about mma because the pay sucks and they don't wanna work for Dana Scumbag White? You're out of your mind if you don't think these guys could learn TD defense to keep Max or Conor from taking them down, lol. Not everybody wants to compete in the shitshow that is U Fight Cheap. Look at Giga coming from kickboxing just mowing down these UFC bums lol. You casuals are hilarious seriously.

Trust me, plenty of Thai boxers would love to come to the U.S. and dominate the UFC. And those U.S. dollars would go a long way in Thailand. (Your knowledge of finance/economics is as bad as your lack of MMA aptitude due to bias.) Tons of kickboxers have tried to make the leap to MMA, but few have succeeded because it's not that easy. Semmy Schilt came to the early days of MMA (then called NHB) when it was much less evolved. On paper, he should've been an elite HW, if not the best in the sport. Instead, he lost 7 of his first 12 fights, and this was in 1996-1998. You think it would be easier for a Thai Boxer in 2021 to take "Geese Guy's Home Study Course on Defending TDs So You Can Dominate the UFC!" and actually succeed? You're insane if you think so.

Conor is the "best striker in UFC" to you casuals and the dude can't even check a kick without breaking his leg lol. UFC is all marketing. You ppl need to wake up.

Absolutely no one is calling the current version of Conor the best MMA striker. Take your straw man arguments and go home. Or go to Scott Coker's home.

"UFC level" is a facade. There are plenty of fighters outside of the UFC that could go in and destroy your favorite fighters today. There are guys in Thailand that would turn Holloway and Mcgregor into NCAA wrestlers in a minute. Stop thinking UFC fighters are invincible. It's all marketing and promotion.
Bro...none of these "fighters" (posers) are beating a ufc fighter

you can't see how...
a social media star who just started training beating up a professional athlete and former combat sports world champion
would make that combat sport look bad?

this is different than mayweather vs mcgregor. jack paul is not a professional boxer.
He’s been training for well over a year. He’s young and rich so he has access to legit dieting/training/workouts. I’m not saying he’s even close to the level of a pro boxer but he’s shown one punch ko power and that he’s good enough to destroy untrained guys like Askren.

Yes. Unfortunately the problem with this is that the fighters are prevented.. actively prevented from really building their OWN brand. They can only build within the UFC owning their likeness and controlling their sponsors. Anything outside is off limits.

Conor did it ALL in the UFC. ALL OF IT. He got the right fights. He got the backing to go after a second belt having never defended the 1st and then co promoted (something they said they would NEVER do) to fight Mayweather.

Conor is the only person and now it seems pretty obvious it wasn't off his own back that he did that.

Off his own back he promotes problems with the law and barriers. And busses.

This hurts like f*ck to say. Jake Paul is what people THINK Conor WAS when they say "Go out there and make a name for yourself"
It's just the truth. I look at it like a spectrum on one side is pure promotion and little skill on the other side is pure sport and no promotion.
So all sport no promotion would be like a gold medal Olympian with no celebrity. Jake Paul is probably the closest we've seen to all promotion with little skill but even he has SOME skill. So it's still not all promotion. I guess Dana White would be the extreme all promotion no skill.

McGregor was definitely the highest level of promotion for a MMA fighter but like you said that's a lot on the UFC also. I don't think they build stars necessarily but they certainly crush the ones that don't play ball and can elevate potential stars that are cooperating.

Lesnar was probably the most balanced between actual skill and high level promotion.

Nah Tyron still has some manhood left in him. He will smash this guy. Too experienced too good for Jake right now.

Has woodley shown any ability whatsoever to throw a punch post surgery? These folks are being targeted for a reason. When a mma guy finally catches Paul, he’ll be singing to the tune of “I’m a YouTuber”

This.

He will always use that.

He will ride the wave until he gets flattened by someone who they didn't predict (in a calculated manner) could do it.

Still don't understand labeling Jake as just a youtuber. From all accounts he has been training boxing seriously for 3.5yrs with upper level coaches / partners. To me it's like labeling a fighter as just a podcaster of they have a talk show. Jake has proven to have big power. knocking out a bball player is one thing, but Askren has shown to be durable. Woodley has power, but will it translate to boxing? I do not give Woodley much chance. He has age, speed, questionable chin, and not fully training boxing against him

Woodley is just gonna stare stare stare and be so tentative and hesitant and barely throw anything, and just become a punching bag, wait and see! I know Woodley to well and have seen his entire career

He might throw 5-6 punches per round, no more than that.

I don't like Paul at all and really don't have much idea who he is and his background. But I know Woodley well, I hope I am wrong but I fear the hesitant and tentative act

Unless Woodley has deteriorated horribly or throw the match I can't see him losing.

Jake beat Askren, who's perhaps the most ungifted unathletic striker in modern MMA. I wouldn't pick Askren to win a stand up fight against a random guy on the street.

There's a gigantic difference between Askren and Woodley. I would be legitimately surprised if this Jake guy beats Woodley.
Jake will expose the sad level of boxing in mma

Back