Media Best counters to the oblique kick/knee stomp

A lot of people are bitching about the calf kick too. Watch clips of Jose. Masterclass on defending them. Banning strikes to areas of the body that are legal to strike is not the answer.

The calf kick era might be over before it really starts. People are starting to counter the technique.

Aside from Weidman, there have been several fighters on the regional circuit who've had their legs broken this year throwing low calf kicks.

They countered it by their opponent missing.
For the longest time I've wondered why these aren't being used in the clinch, especially when breaking away, I'm predicting we're going to see it eventually.

The calf kick era might be over before it really starts. People are starting to counter the technique.

Aside from Weidman, there have been several fighters on the regional circuit who've had their legs broken this year throwing low calf kicks.
Exactly. Same with thigh kicks, people adjusted. Calf Kick era will be longer than the Machida era tho.

Last edited:
For as nice of a guy as Rob Whittaker is he sure does love his oblique kicks.

They countered it by their opponent missing.
For the longest time I've wondered why these aren't being used in the clinch, especially when breaking away, I'm predicting we're going to see it eventually.

I think that Gaethje may be one of the few to throw significant kicks while breaking the clinch for example.

It looks great when it works, but few people ever do something like that.

Right now MMA is mostly all about long range striking from one reason or another.

Aldo has the best counters to leg attacks

It goes against his nice guy persona, it's seen as a scummy move hence why Jon Jones uses it, the ultimate scumbag.
Its a kick.

That is all it is.

I think that Gaethje may be one of the few to throw significant kicks while breaking the clinch for example.

It looks great when it works, but few people ever do something like that.

Right now MMA is mostly all about long range striking from one reason or another.

He's so good at getting away with that shit. He always manages to hurt people with it too.

Izzy's counter only somewhat works however for the counter headkick. He's still eating a oblique kick hes just firing back. The best bet against the shot is to remove yourself from its range.

For as nice of a guy as Rob Whittaker is he sure does love his oblique kicks.

He's made it a point to throw them in every single fight since Romero injured his knee with one.

Izzy's counter only somewhat works however for the counter headkick. He's still eating a oblique kick hes just firing back. The best bet against the shot is to remove yourself from its range.

He didn't eat anything. None of those kicks landed cleanly. Also, he's very careful about when he puts his weight on his lead leg. If you step back and pull the leg up, the kick doesn't do anything even if it makes contact.

Back