• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Why did rock music die?

It didn't die, its just not the biggest genre anymore. Remember, at one time country was number 1.

I honestly don't know. I'm not that knowledgeable concerning how music is "constructed" overall or what musical composition has to occur. I guess it's possible?

I sat through hours of someone making background music in their professional home studio a few years ago. They sell their "recordings" to artists and commercial entities like advertising agencies. Up until then I had no clue how easily you could create entirely synthetic music. It wasn't bad but I can't imagine someone being the next Hendrix, Burton, or Bonham using a CPU.
On the other hand maybe that's not really the problem. I see people using that argument that modern music isn't compatible with rock because of the instruments but then why is country music still popular?

And how are you finding out about this new rock that you listen to? Because it gets no radio play. The only rock music that's even remotely mainstream today is alternative rock, and even that is mostly a niche market. I don't listen to mtv either but I know they're not playing rock music there. The UFC was just one example, how many commercials do you see on tv using rock music or guitars?
I rarely listen to radio. When I do it's local radio chat with no music.
I use Metal Hammer, Blabbermouth and the rock station on TV mainly. Facebook music groups as well.

When I was a kid my father listened to Q104 which was the classic rock station. The Who, Queen, Rolling Stones, etc. I haven’t listened to local radio in years but I was at a car wash recently where they had the station on and they were playing Nirvana. Damn did that make me feel old. Makes me wonder what they’ll be playing by the time my son’s my age if the station is even still around.

crazy, yeah 10 yrs ago it was all sabbath, gnr, steve earle etc.

Didn’t realise it was, Turnstile recently dropped a great album.

Telecommunications Act of 1996 allowed record labels to purchase radio stations, essentially controlling what was “mainstream”. Solo pop, rap and country acts are easier to manage than 4 or 5 ego driven rock stars, where one bad argument could destroy your cash cow that you’ve invested in. It was a business decision by the labels to kill the genre’s popularity. It’s no coincidence that the last boom period for rock music was the early to mid 90’s.
<EdgyBrah><RomeroSalute>

Telecommunications Act of 1996 allowed record labels to purchase radio stations, essentially controlling what was “mainstream”. Solo pop, rap and country acts are easier to manage than 4 or 5 ego driven rock stars, where one bad argument could destroy your cash cow that you’ve invested in. It was a business decision by the labels to kill the genre’s popularity. It’s no coincidence that the last boom period for rock music was the early to mid 90’s.

Not enough people talk about the horrific effect the Telecommunications Act had on mainstream music. This is the reason hip hop turned to shit in the late 90s. Thank you Clinton. This is neoliberal deregulation at work.

Forming a band and practising regularly can be expensive and rich kids make shit music?

Can someone give me some modern rock bands that aren't like Imagine Dragons or borderline techno? Greta Van Fleet and Ghost are fun, I don't know of any other new bands though. I keep going back to the 90s for good rock.

NOt doubting your conclusion about the telecommunications act but didn't rock have a good run in the late 90s to early 2000s?

bands like Limpbizkit, Lincoln Park, System of A Down, Creed, Nickleback, white stripes etc were selling millions while being played on MTV and mainstream radio and were household names.

For I really start to notice a sharp decline in rock somewhere around 2005

Sure we could be all Bill Burr and say "we're old, rock is dead, no one plays guitar solos anymore".

And part of that is right, we did get older and you don't see too much rock in top 100 pop since last decade.

But it's still out there, just indie. You may have to go seek it out, or focus on satellite radio stations that play current rock.

Arctic Monkeys was a more recent band that pushed into the pop sphere but even they were a few years ago.

But all that being said, there seemed to be some popular decay after 2010 and more so after 2014.

I threw Pearl Jam's "Ten" on in the car yesterday and couldn't help but make old man yells at cloud comments about the lack of guitar solos in current music and kids these days with their auto tune.

Oh you said something about leaving the state which I didn't understand
4834299551_b38d72bf99_b.jpg

I've been hugely more interested in rock recently since finding a record store and refurbishing my record collection. But new stuff always Spotify on the way into work depending which car I take.

Can someone give me some modern rock bands that aren't like Imagine Dragons or borderline techno? Greta Van Fleet and Ghost are fun, I don't know of any other new bands though. I keep going back to the 90s for good rock.

Artic Monkeys, White Stripes, Black Keys were all decent post 2000 rock acts.

The Hu are great if you want to bust out some Mongolian steppe metal.

Not enough people talk about the horrific effect the Telecommunications Act had on mainstream music. This is the reason hip hop turned to shit in the late 90s. Thank you Clinton. This is neoliberal deregulation at work.
Late 90s hip hop was good though. I personally though it was better than early 90s

Satellite radio bud. Full of new rock. Channel 40. Xlmetal

The easy access to 50+ years of records online likely hurts the demand for new rock bands.

Before the internet, you had to pay for your music and the labels were always promoting new bands.

Late 90s hip hop was good though. I personally though it was better than early 90s

Regional music stopped being a thing. Prior to the Telecommunications Act I could listen to independently owned radio stations and hear local artists. Then Clear Channel and Viacom bought up the same stations and pushed the same playlists to each one.

Its not dead.

Plenty of Rock music out there. If its not "Popular" right now, its because the people who market, promote and sell popular music dont want to sell it at the moment.
American popular culture is driven by marketing machines. Is more profitable to sell hip hop than rock. Hence the last 20 years.

Back