Strong belief in God= Goat status?

Garnet_StrongerThanYou

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I heard Tyson Fury tonight talking about how his lord and saviour helped him rally in the 3rd and fourth round and it got me thinking.

Fedor: Strong belief in God
Khabib: Strong belief in God
Vitor Belfort: Same
Anderson Silva: Same
GSP: not so much, at least not publicly.
Mike Tyson: Same
Muhammad Ali: Same

Even Jon Jones never stops talking about God even when he’s driving drunk or doing steroids or beating up his wife.

that’s almost every single goat I can think of.

Almost all Brazilian fighters.

It must help you in some way.

I won't talk about GOAT status but there does seem to be some correlation between being very religious and being a great athlete. This is common across a lot of sports and I know quite a few NBA all-stars like Steph Curry who are also very religious. A lot of this game is mental so that's probably why.

The overwhelming majority of people on the planet believe in a magical sky daddy. Especially in countries like Brazil and America.
fedora-tipshat.gif

Part of the journey, becoming a champion or the best out of something takes a toll on someone mentally. Religion probably a healthy way to keep your mind in track to reach those goals.

I won't talk about GOAT status but there does seem to be some correlation between being very religious and being a great athlete. This is common across a lot of sports and I know quite a few NBA all-stars like Steph Curry who are also very religious. A lot of this game is mental so that's probably why.

fedora-tipshat.gif
Spaghetti monster atheist are the worst <45> . Your suppose to grow out of the Sam Harris phase by the end of High School

There's a higher link in having a nice hairline and being the goat.

Those fighters mentioned aren’t exactly intellectuals, yeah some imaginary person up in the sky is taking time out of his day killing and raping innocent people around the planet to help the Gypsie king dominate a brother, actually he might be right

You left out the fact that most 'Greats' also grow up very poor. There is a drive to be great and earn money, belief in God is just something that is thrust on them from childhood.

You could argue that believing you are a Jedi is just as important

You left out the fact that most 'Greats' also grow up very poor. There is a drive to be great and earn money, belief in God is just something that is thrust on them from childhood.

You could argue that believing you are a Jedi is just as important

I do think you can see a pattern in Brazilian MMA were religion has become more openly displayed as time has gone on as fighters have shifted more to poorer backgrounds. Back in the days of the Gracies, Nogs, Ruas, etc a lot of MMA training in Brazil was actually quite middle class as BJJ wasnt cheap to get into and I don't remember as much religion on display back then.

I suspect though there is also a culture were a lot of trainers push religion as a motivational tool, whether it actually helps or not of course is another question.

In Fedor's case the Rasputin like character appearing seemed to mark his decline, when he started to lose focus and depend too much on the advice of hangers on.

I do think you can see a pattern in Brazilian MMA were religion has become more openly displayed as time has gone on as fighters have shifted more to poorer backgrounds. Back in the days of the Gracies, Nogs, Ruas, etc a lot of MMA training in Brazil was actually quite middle class as BJJ wasnt cheap to get into and I don't remember as much religion on display back then.

I suspect though there is also a culture were a lot of trainers push religion as a motivational tool, whether it actually helps or not of course is another question.

In Fedor's case the Rasputin like character appearing seemed to mark his decline, when he started to lose focus and depend too much on the advice of hangers on.
Fun fact: the Gracie's have a long connection with Brazilian fascism and plenty of them are religious . Dig even slightly deep and you'll find a lot of horrid ideology and backwards views within the space of MMA . Various reasons for it but few are honest about it .

I heard Tyson Fury tonight talking about how his lord and saviour helped him rally in the 3rd and fourth round and it got me thinking.

Fedor: Strong belief in God
Khabib: Strong belief in God
Vitor Belfort: Same
Anderson Silva: Same
GSP: not so much, at least not publicly.
Mike Tyson: Same
Muhammad Ali: Same

Even Jon Jones never stops talking about God even when he’s driving drunk or doing steroids or beating up his wife.

that’s almost every single goat I can think of.

Almost all Brazilian fighters.

It must help you in some way.
Tons of shitty fighters also believe in GOD. Thousands and thousands of shitty fighters are lovers of the G

Well a real Christian would never call himself a GOAT when the very acronym denotes Satan... a term that also promotes false idol worship. Followers of christ not followers of twitter idols. We are to be humble and know we are just men that will be forgotten in as little as 100 years and return to dust and dirt. Yeshua is the greatest of all time and most people in the world these days could care less about him. So it really means nothing more than foolish vanity.

It makes me laugh when i hear guys like jon jones talk about their legacy

Back