If Wittman completes the hattrick at UFC 268, will he go down as the greatest coach in MMA history?

13Seconds

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
So the big storyline for UFC 268 is that Usman, Namajunas and Gaethje all train together. Not only train together, but they do so in a closed, tight enviroment. Wittmans gym is not a big gym like ATT and Jacksons. He chooses who to coach carefully.

So far he's already in the running for coach of the year, but what's different about UFC 268 is that it's the first time 3 training partners are competing on the main card of a PPV. We discuss GOAT fighter alot, but if Wittmans fighters all win on this card, he's the GOAT coach right?

Chandler responses badly to leg kicks
Its not like this guy doesn't have a fight resume. He's 22-6, previous champ in his weight class. After his explosive 1st round KO over Hooker, that mind you, nobody on Sherdog saw happening, he was supposed to get dominated on his feet; a win over Gaethje seals the deal for me.

Nah. A GOAT coach would consistently be churning out champions

Its not like this guy doesn't have a fight resume. He's 22-6, previous champ in his weight class. After his explosive 1st round KO over Hooker, that mind you, nobody on Sherdog saw happening, he was supposed to get dominated on his feet; a win over Gaethje seals the deal for me.
i know who Chandler is but as i said he responds badly to leg kicks which Gaethje is best in division. its a bad style matchup for Chandler.

Well you know what they say, If one man can hold you down then Michael Chandler can rape you. Something like that.

Just because Khabib tooled someone on the ground doesn't mean another grappler will. I don't expect Chandler to do that, I expect Chandler to get KO/TKO'd on the feet but either way I can't wait for that fight.

I had Mike over Hooker, Oli over Mike and I think Mike has a game to beat Justin.
I have no idea whats gonna happen in that one.

I had Mike over Hooker, Oli over Mike and I think Mike has a game to beat Justin.
I have no idea whats gonna happen in that one.
I either see gaethje chewing up chandlers legs or Chandler timing gaethje's leg kick with an right hand and knocking him down.

Gaethje's leg kick has been timed by johnson, poirier, and Khabib. 2 of them resulted in finishes. The Johnson one resulted in a big blow that made gaethje wobbly.

If any coach ever takes a loser and turns him into a champ. Then I’ll respect that. How hard is it to turn an exceptional talent into a champ? A great coach is a great coach. But, other than really turning out a great gameplan.. The coach doesn’t fight. And the “best” coach in the world can’t transform a bum into a champ.

So the big storyline for UFC 268 is that Usman, Namajunas and Gaethje all train together. Not only train together, but they do so in a closed, tight enviroment. Wittmans gym is not a big gym like ATT and Jacksons. He chooses who to coach carefully.

So far he's already in the running for coach of the year, but what's different about UFC 268 is that it's the first time 3 training partners are competing on the main card of a PPV. We discuss GOAT fighter alot, but if Wittmans fighters all win on this card, he's the GOAT coach right?
meh.
didn't Luke, Khabib and DC been champions at the same time? Change a little the timming and DC, Cain and Luke?

moreover: Coaches help, but they don't win title fights.

So to sum up, I don't think he'd be GOAT coach just because of it.
But then again, we don't know enough about coaches to judge properly.

I mean, you can be the greatest coach ever, if you get someone who does not listen to you, is it your fault?

i dont think wittman is on the level of javier mendez --- khabib, dc, cain, rockhold, makhachev.

Trevor "you just need 2-3 more leg kicks to beat khabib" Wittman.

If any coach ever takes a loser and turns him into a champ. Then I’ll respect that. How hard is it to turn an exceptional talent into a champ? A great coach is a great coach. But, other than really turning out a great gameplan.. The coach doesn’t fight. And the “best” coach in the world can’t transform a bum into a champ.
Well, a bum is a bum. What does have to do with the question in hand? Or are you disagreeing just for the sake of it?

meh.
didn't Luke, Khabib and DC been champions at the same time? Change a little the timming and DC, Cain and Luke?

moreover: Coaches help, but they don't win title fights.

So to sum up, I don't think he'd be GOAT coach just because of it.
But then again, we don't know enough about coaches to judge properly.

I mean, you can be the greatest coach ever, if you get someone who does not listen to you, is it your fault?
"Coaches help" is an understatement if i ever saw one. Having a coach for the craft you want to build on is absolutely crucial. Not sure how to describe it any better but having a coach vs not having a coach is a big deal on the elite level. I mean, how many world champions can you name won the title without a coach? And what do you mean about not knowing enough about coaches?

And no, he wouldn't be the GOAT coach just because of it. It would be because of the reasons i asked in the OP.

Back