Why is playing video games so frowned upon?

mb23100

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I'm in my late 30s and still love to play video games like Battlefield, Gran Turismo etc...but my friends and family always give me a bunch of crap when they come over. The gf usually brings it up which gets followed by "how old are you?" "What a total waste of time" or some other smart ass comment. No one bats an eye when they talk about binging the real housewives for 8 hours straight though.

End rant

Tldr: Got teased on Thanksgiving for playing videogames in my 30s.

How you spend your time is your business. If someone is criticizing that they’re probably not very creative.

Video games a toy my generation will never give up on. The problem with it is, they are definitely for kids, and of course adults can enjoy them too. Like any toy.

I love games. But if you’re doing what you did as a kid in your free time today and it isn’t a sport, you have to ask what you might be passing along. Is it good to stay in and not move? Probably not; although it’s peaceful IMO. Almost like mediating

I had you on ignore for some reason. I don't even know who you are and I've never ignored anyone on here. These new mods are trying to silence you.

Put him back on ignore before it’s too late guy

It's strange because we live in a time where more people play games than ever before. Maybe because playing video games isn't considered a creative outlet? It's a shame that your family and friends have to give you shit for doing what you like. Just try not to take it personal and do you. I am sure they are all interested in some stuff you'd consider dumb or pointless.

No one bats an eye when they talk about binging the real housewives for 8 hours straight though.
This is pretty much it, and the thing I remind myself when I kick myself for playing video games. It's really not any worse than anyone else's guilty pleasure.

Doesn't seem that "productive" sure, but us working folk are productive for most of the day anyways. And sometimes its okay to cultivate laziness to give yourself that reset.

And last point, is that video games provide an interactive experience that fits really well to those wired in a way that need to keep doing things. It's just hard to people to stop sometimes, and video games can allow that while giving you that mental break.

TLDR: Also late 30s gamer, giving you points that will enable your habits.

<WhatItIs>

How you spend your time is your business. If someone is criticizing that they’re probably not very creative.

Video games a toy my generation will never give up on. The problem with it is, they are definitely for kids, and of course adults can enjoy them too. Like any toy.

I love games. But if you’re doing what you did as a kid in your free time today and it isn’t a sport, you have to ask what you might be passing along. Is it good to stay in and not move? Probably not; although it’s peaceful IMO. Almost like mediating

Put him back on ignore before it’s too late guy
I somewhat disagree on your point of "doing what you did as a kid". Games have evolved and we are pretty much the generation they evolved with. There are so many different things you can do with games now it's incredible. I'm not still playing pacman.

I'm in my late 30s and still love to play video games like Battlefield, Gran Turismo etc...but my friends and family always give me a bunch of crap when they come over. The gf usually brings it up which gets followed by "how old are you?" "What a total waste of time" or some other smart ass comment. No one bats an eye when they talk about binging the real housewives for 8 hours straight though.

End rant

Tldr: Got teased on Thanksgiving for playing videogames in my 30s.

More context is probably required. Everyone has things they like to do for enjoyment, how much time though is dedicated to it and is it hindering any other parts of your life. Rhetorical question.

More context is probably required. Everyone has things they like to do for enjoyment, how much time though is dedicated to it and is it hindering any other parts of your life. Rhetorical question.
Oh for sure. I'm sure people can be addicted to a detriment just like anything else.

Oh for sure. I'm sure people can be addicted to a detriment just like anything else.

I agree with the sentiment though, if someone can keep up with the Kardashian's nothing wrong with playing video games.

Don't listen to them and just enjoy playing video games. You are in your 30s right now. Trust me when I say your nervous system won't be able to handle it suddenly. And then it will be goodbye to gaming forever. People are lucky to find something like Gaming where you can sit down and spend time without getting into any trouble.

Things are going to get better too.With the metaverse coming Gaming is going to get a Lot more immersive and fun.

That might be just your social group. I never hear anything like that and know people older than me that still play.

There’s nothing wrong with playing video games. There’s nothing wrong with watching TV or Netflix or whatever. But if those recreational things stand in the way of something you want or need to accomplish it’s a problem. If not it’s all good. Everyone needs relaxation time.

I'll throw on some GTA, Red Dead Redemption, Silent Hill or Resident Evil every so often but I just never understood the whole online gaming thing. I want to escape into my own world when I play a game, not talk to or interact with others.

Playing video games isn't a problem, but playing video games 4-6 hours a day after work every day is probably a bit too much. The Keeping up with the Kardashians argument is rather dumb since thats like a half hour a week when the show is in during its season.

Playing video games isn't a problem, but playing video games 4-6 hours a day after work every day is probably a bit too much. The Keeping up with the Kardashians argument is rather dumb since thats like a half hour a week when the show is in during its season.
This guy knows when it's in season and how long an episode is <{clintugh}>

Back