Why is playing video games so frowned upon?

42 and still play Xbox. If you grew up in the age of Nintendo or After, it's pretty normal to keep a hobby like that throughout your life.
Channel 3 on the tube TV. Yellow, red, and white cables tangled all over the place. Wired controllers shaped like a juice box. Graphics that make Minecraft look like 4K. Surprisingly good sound tracks but no headset. And dad telling you to go to bed only so you could hear him playing downstairs!

Context matters.

If other aspect of your life is handled and you're doing this on your free time, then I think those tease aren't warranted. But if you are doing this in your mom's basement, unemployed, single and basically being a man-child, then that's a normal criticism.

I'm in my late 30s and still love to play video games like Battlefield, Gran Turismo etc...but my friends and family always give me a bunch of crap when they come over. The gf usually brings it up which gets followed by "how old are you?" "What a total waste of time" or some other smart ass comment. No one bats an eye when they talk about binging the real housewives for 8 hours straight though.

End rant

Tldr: Got teased on Thanksgiving for playing videogames in my 30s.
I'm 53 and still a hardcore gamer. People are just jealous we can have so much fun easily.

If I want to play vids every now and then, I dont care who says what. I think its better then watching reality shows and some of the shit movies out tbh. Theres worse ways people pass their time.

It’s thanksgiving, my man. Put away the controller.

Meh, as long as gaming doesn't become too much of a distracton from your job and other personal IRL activities, I don't see the problem.

Same shit as sitting in front of of a TV back in the day.

Last edited:
It's a generation issue. Most millennials and especially older ones still grew up with the idea that games were at oldest a teenagers activity and that their parents and adults didn't play games, especially not as a primary hobby. I'd guess adult gaming will likely be completely normalized by the time people born in the late 2000's and later reach adulthood. Essentially the kid's of millennials will all have experience with the concept of adult gaming that by the time they become adults it's just another activity.

Although by then there might still be some weirdness if they millennials who are now essentially seniors gaming. After all it's still pretty novel when you find out some senior is an avid gamer these days.

I'm in my late 30s and still love to play video games like Battlefield, Gran Turismo etc...but my friends and family always give me a bunch of crap when they come over. The gf usually brings it up which gets followed by "how old are you?" "What a total waste of time" or some other smart ass comment. No one bats an eye when they talk about binging the real housewives for 8 hours straight though.

End rant

Tldr: Got teased on Thanksgiving for playing videogames in my 30s.

I’m in my 20s, and haven’t played any video games close to four years now. Because I fucking grew up, that’s why.
Only man children play video games and are in denial if you disagree.

Last edited:
they're just projecting their own shame regarding watching tv onto your video game habit in order to make you the collective scape goat.

if you like playing video games then you like playing video games.

you don't have to internalize their shame.

Video games serve their purpose I suppose, but you shouldn't dedicate too much time to them.

Maybe they don't distinguish betw Gran Turismo racing vs. Grand Theft Auto vs. FPS shooters vs. Mario Kart vs. Mortal Kombat. Some of these will make you grow up to be mental car thieves.

It's because it's still seen by a lot of people as nothing more than a children's toy.

It's also why we still have parents buying their kids games like Grand Theft Auto, and Mortal Kombat, then complaining about the content of 18-rated media.

Gaming is def not frowned upon. The majority of the Steam and PSN users are grown up adults.

Nobody give me shit for playing videogames at 38, not sure what your problem is TS

Your gf is teasing you because she sucks at video games.

Don't listen to them and just enjoy playing video games. You are in your 30s right now. Trust me when I say your nervous system won't be able to handle it suddenly. And then it will be goodbye to gaming forever. People are lucky to find something like Gaming where you can sit down and spend time without getting into any trouble.

Things are going to get better too.With the metaverse coming Gaming is going to get a Lot more immersive and fun.

Wtf are you talking about with the nerve system?

As I get older, I am jerking off less and gaming more?

Lol which is funny because my gf is a gamer and I'm not

Back