Obligatory Actual Black Belt Post

Jagcorps_esq

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I received my black belt today after 13.5 years of training.

I started at a TKD school that had a grappling program affiliated with a BJJ black belt. We were in a small rural town in Nebraska, and so that was the best available and I was fine with starting something there. However, I left when they broke the affiliation.

I then travelled 1.5 hours, twice a week, to train with a brown belt (later black belt) named Ed Shobe in Omaha Nebraska. I would bring back what I learned, and with his permission, I'd have BJJ lessons in my basement on 12 x 18 feet of mat space. We did that until a school could be started in the town of Lincoln, NE. Later, I moved to Omaha and continued to train at Mid American Martial Arts with Ed, Anthony Carlson, Matt Lippold, Aaron Cerrone and many others.

I then had the opportunity to move to Colorado Springs, to teach cadets at the Air Fofrce Academy. I started training with Marcelo Motta at Prime BJJ. This year I knew that I was getting close to black belt, but after taking a bronze medal at the World Senior Masters tournanment in November, my professor confirmed it.

I've been here on Sherdog for most of that journey, with this forum helping me find appropriate places to train, helping with technique and just friendships (I've met a few people here in person).

Thanks for the ride. It's been good. Now, if I can just keep training until I'm 78, I can get that red/black belt.

Last edited:

I started at a TKD school that had a grappling program affiliated with a BJJ black belt. We were in a small rural town in Nebraska, and so that was the best available and I was fine with starting something there. However, I left when they broke the affiliation.

I then travelled 1.5 hours, twice a week, to train with a brown belt (later black belt) named Ed Shobe in Omaha Nebraska. I would bring back what I learned, and with his permission, I'd have BJJ lessons in my basement on 12 x 18 feet of mat space. We did that until a school could be started in the town of Lincoln, NE. Later, I moved to Omaha and continued to train at Mid American Martial Arts with Ed, Anthony, Matt, Aaron and many others.

I then had the opportunity to move to Colorado Springs, to teach cadets at the Air Fofrce Academy. I started training with Marcelo Motta at Prime BJJ. This year I knew that I was getting close to black belt, but after taking a bronze medal at the World Senior Masters tournanment in November, my professor confirmed it.

I've been here on Sherdog for most of that journey, with this forum helping me find appropriate gyms to train at, and helping with technique and just friendships (I've met a few people here in person).

Thanks for the ride. It's been good. Now, if I can just keep training until I'm 78, I can get that red/black belt.

Huge congrats sherbro. Would add that USAFA has IMO the nicest locale of the federal service academies and with the OTC right there, you've undoubtedly had the chance to train around world class wrestlers and Judoka. Sounds like an awesome ride so far.

Last edited:
Huge congrats sherbro! Would add that USAFA has IMO the nicest locale of the federal service academies and with the OTC right there, you've undoubtedly had the chance to train around world class wrestlers and Judoka. Sounds like an awesome ride so far.

Indeed. We have numerous Olympic level wrestlers and judoka in our gym, so we have fairly strong take down focus.

As for USAFA, I describe it as a military base located on a national park. It's just gorgeous. The cadets are also very good students. I taught at a law school before, so higher level graduate students, but these cadets are always focused, ready and excited to learn.

Congratulations.
This forum is not active as it used to be.
But it is awesome to read about the old boys getting their belt promotion especially the black belt.
Well done.

Congratulations.
This forum is not active as it used to be.
But it is awesome to read about the old boys getting their belt promotion especially the black belt.
Well done.

Old boys is right. Yeah, I have noticed that the forum is much less active than in the early days. I sneak by every now and then to say hi though.

I then travelled 1.5 hours, twice a week, to train with a brown belt (later black belt) named Ed Shobe in Omaha Nebraska. I would bring back what I learned, and with his permission, I'd have BJJ lessons in my basement on 12 x 18 feet of mat space. We did that until a school could be started in the town of Lincoln, NE. Later, I moved to Omaha and continued to train at Mid American Martial Arts with Ed, Anthony Carlson, Matt Lippold, Aaron Cerrone and many others.

I've been here on Sherdog for most of that journey, with this forum helping me find appropriate places to train, helping with technique and just friendships (I've met a few people here in person).

Congrats man. That’s a major achievement. Most people never make it to bb.

in a previous life i remember when you posted religiously around when I did as well here and contributed a lot, congrats hope it treats you well

Yeah, it seems that everything has slowed down here. I post now and then. It just felt like I should post this here, as a sort of completion of the process since I started here so long ago.

Congratulations!

I remember when you were a blue belt on here. F12 OG.

Yeah, that's way back.

Congratulations bro!

I remember you from back in the day. Glad to see you are still training and going strong.

Congrats! Seemed like you were dedicated and never gave up despite how hard it was to find places to train. I dont have that issue here in San Diego thankfully, we are pretty spoiled. More bjj gyms than McDonald's

Congrats mate! Did you feel ready and up to it? I'm very close to black belt and some days feel like its been a marathon and I am due but most other days feel like there is so much to know and still master!

Congrats mate! Did you feel ready and up to it? I'm very close to black belt and some days feel like its been a marathon and I am due but most other days feel like there is so much to know and still master!

Honestly, no. It's a mixed bag really. Do I feel competent to teach, to watch a match and see areas that can be improved, to diagnose the errors in a technique? Sure.

Have I competed, such that I feel I can teach competitors also? Yes.

Am I able to physically perform at the level where I feel confident, no matter who I am rolling with? No. I'm old. And yes, there are plenty older than me and I could work to get closer to feeling like I belong on the mat with anyone, but I'm also juggling multiple jobs, multiple teenagers and decades of wear and tear.

I think that this little bit of "imposter syndrome" is helpful for me. It makes me want to work harder, to not skip warm ups (like some upper belts might) and to continually try to earn it, even though I already have it.

Back