Do you sleep with a fan or A/C on, any other device? (re noise)

DeepFry

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I posted a thread last week about how I was losing sleep cause there's a water pump directly beneath my new apartment that generates this horrible ringing.

Not only losing sleep but it caused me to start experiencing tinnitus (which sucks).

So I moved the bed into the kitchen and placed an air purifier on the bed side table, running at medium intensity it provides enough white noise to block out the majority of the ringing sound.

It's getting me by for the moment at least.

First time in my life I've slept with a noise generating device running all night.

Anyone else sleep using a similar white noise'ish making machine of some kind?

A/C, fan, dehumidifier etc?

I have spent the past 24 years sleeping with my fan on max power summer and winter.

Interestingly enough when I'm in the bath my girlfriend always throws me appliances like hair driers or toasters. She's always thinking ahead! perhaps I wanna dry off quickly or have some toast after my bath.

A loud ass box fan. Not my idea, my wife has been using one since she was a kid. I can sleep without it fine but the white noise helps drown everything else out. She can't though, even when we go camping we have to use a box fan noise app so she can sleep.

Growing up in the city allows me to sleep through anything..as kid my window was on a busy street corner..

Some dude just posted and deleted saying he lived alone and used headphones.

I want to know the rationale behind this?

I live alone most of the time (houseguests once a month or so) but has that got to do with the dead silence of being alone?

I sleep with a fan and the tv on, if it goes silent its like a reverse alarm clock and I instantly wake up

Having the tv on does lead to some wild dreams sometimes, depending on what kind of movie or show that comes on

It’s super quiet at my house (no close neighbours) so the house is always very silent. When I sleep in a hotel I leave the bathroom fan on so there is a little background noise to cover the noise from other guests opening doors, talking in hallways etc.

I like the cool breeze of a ceiling fan set on low year round. BTW this reminds me, when I lived in Korea I noticed room fans always had a timer...I guess there is a very strong urban legend there if you leave on a fan at night it will kill you. The belief is so prevalent there are literally timers on fans so they shut off...

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fan-death/

Fan always except for winter. My giant fan is a pain in the ass and the lowest setting feels full blast.

Some dude just posted and deleted saying he lived alone and used headphones.

I want to know the rationale behind this?

I live alone most of the time (houseguests once a month or so) but has that got to do with the dead silence of being alone?

Maybe they are noise cancelling headphones?

Yes usually have a fan on, or a white noise machine. Or podcasts I listen to with these little speakers that go in your pillow.

I sleep with rain sound sometimes.

ex :

I sleep with a fan on because my girl does. She's the typical female with f*cked up body temperature regulation. Goes to bed freezing cold, has a fan blowing on her, still ends up too hot.

Meanwhile, I'm fast asleep under a light comforter with my arms and feet sticking out. The military taught me to be able to sleep through a marching band. Only odd thumps or bangs or high pitched sound keeps me awake.

I need that science. Audiobooks for me. Tv is ok too.

AC in summer. Air purifier in winter. Alexa Thunder Storm when I’m sick. Can’t sleep with total silence.

Fan on, even if it’s freezing cold I’ll just point the fan at the wall

Back