Rogan and DC gushing over Francis using basic grappling was bizzare

FierceHitman

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Commentary team was hyping up the fact that the heavyweight champion of the world just figured out how to do rudimentary grappling. Whoa...he used a judo throw...eerr botched...but if you squint, it kinda looked like one! And, and, he...got up from bottom, whoa! Be impressed everyone! I'm supposed to be watching the upper echelon of the entire sport, like wth is this...

Because most guys with crazy knockout power fall in love with their hands and either never learn the grappling stuff in the first place or never use it. Roy Nelson was a BJJ black belt but in MMA he morphed into a knockout artist.

It's not every fight that you see visible improvement in a fighter, but Ngannou was doing things he'd never had to show before.

Commentary team was hyping up the fact that the heavyweight champion of the world just figured out how to do rudimentary grappling. Whoa...he used a judo throw...eerr botched...but if you squint, it kinda looked like one! And, and, he...got up from bottom, whoa! Be impressed everyone! I'm supposed to be watching the upper echelon of the entire sport, like wth is this...

They were joking about how hilarious it was that Ngannou could grapple.

The heavyweight division has the least roster depth and the oldest average age. We are shuffling around a combination of old farts and largely one dimensional fighters at heavyweight because the starting pay is 12k to get your head punched in.

You will not attract suitably young, gifted athletes of that size with how hilariously bad the UFC revenue split is. The literal LHW and HW champions of the world both spent time sitting out because the pay is atrocious, instead of fighting each other.

The UFC is bush league and the heavyweight division highlights it.

Pay these guys already.

The way they were gushing at him using basic grappling was like new parents gushing at their toddlers for shitting in their diapers. I was rooting for Francis and I'm glad he got the win, but the grappling and wrestling displayed was at a much lower than previous HW elites like DC, Big Nog and Fedor

I think the point is that Francis is known primarily as a one-trick pony with massive KO power in his hands, and the narrative going into this fight was that he would either KO Gane early or lose the fight. Nobody expected him to lose the first two rounds and then wrestlefuck Gane to a decision W by winning rounds 3-5. It was definitely surprising to see Francis utilize effective grappling and steal the fight in the later rounds. I and everyone I was watching with had a similar reaction to Rogan/DC- Surprised by and impressed with Francis' grappling.

you should see them fawn of the technique and high level skill in some random lady fight.

Nothing wrong with it. Ngannou isn't a grappler primarily so they were just appreciating him going down that route.

Lmao at them gushing over him doing a super basic double leg against the fence.

I didn't even see much technique. He used pure brute strength to pin Gane down.

He also looked pretty f*cking good grappling in his last fight against Stipe Miocic.

You know, the guy who's a very good MMA wrestler.

But that's just not convenient for you.

He did look good indeed against Miočić, especially compared to.... himself? Going from 0 grappling knowledge to being able to stuff a telegraphed double leg by a wobbled opponent. Whoa! So impressive!

(... Sorry for the sarcasm, not trying to be a dick to you. I just find the situation with Francis' grappling really silly)

Back