Nog vs Sergei 18 years ago

Coleman tended to telegraph his shots though, doing that against BB tends to get you knocked out.
Coleman was figured out in 1997 by freakin' Maurice Smith...a kickboxer much smaller than BB who was just barely learning the guard and ground game. If an ancient Coleman managed to get Lewis down, he'd easily survive like Smith did and eventually get a KO. Watch the complete slopfest of a fight between Coleman and Shogun in the UFC and explain how Coleman would win. He was NOTHING like Cormier if that's what people are thinking.

Mark Coleman was 16-10. He dropped 3 straight to end his initial ufc run. 2 were basically pure strikers.

Black Beast would literally murder him

Reactions: mkt
Coleman tended to telegraph his shots though, doing that against BB tends to get you knocked out.

86 year old oleinik telegraphs his shots too and has infinitely weaker wrestling than 40 year old Coleman and he got Lewis down easily.

86 year old oleinik telegraphs his shots too and has infinitely weaker wrestling than 40 year old Coleman and he got Lewis down easily.

But he couldn't finish him and gpt knocked out, what makes you so sure that wouldn't happen to Coleman?

Take a break. Relax. Take a deep breath and really think about the first sentence you just typed.

Pure idiocy

No please elaborate on how his ncaa pedigree means anymore than mark hunts K1 crown. But you can’t, cause you are the same guy who is literally a post above saying balydes is a better wrestler than Coleman. LMAO which he isn’t in mma nor was he in the amateur ranks. Hypocritical much? But then again you don’t really watch mma, you just shill for ufc.

Oleinic is great at submissions while Coleman was great at getting submitted. I fail to see any relevance beyond that. Coleman would be zero threat to Lewis on the ground, who has surprisingly good defense against subs and GnP. And Coleman's GnP degraded quickly as he aged and headbutts and 12/6 elbows were made illegal. Lewis knocked Oleinic cold and would certainly do the same to Coleman. I mean Pete Williams almost kicked Coleman's head off. C'mon.

How many ex pride fighters has Jake Paul knocked out?

Facts > your feelings
Mir career record: 19 mere wins and 12 defeats.

Timmeh 30 plus wins a mere 10 defeats record title wins and defences.

What’s next Rocco Rodriguez > Timmeh?

Timmeh with his championship pedigree was the best hw of all time ufc had produced (until Stipe knocked off enough geriatrics). UFC shills being so insecure about their GOAT is worrisome.
Fedor destroyed them all, only shame is he didnt whoop Mir about 10 years earlier

No please elaborate on how his ncaa pedigree means anymore than mark hunts K1 crown. But you can’t, cause you are the same guy who is literally a post above saying balydes is a better wrestler than Coleman. LMAO which he isn’t in mma nor was he in the amateur ranks. Hypocritical much? But then again you don’t really watch mma, you just shill for ufc.

Blaydes is a better mma wrestler...way better. Also much larger

Regarding your first idiotic sentence...

UFC champs from High level ncaa backgrounds:

Coleman, Couture, Randleman, Brock, Cain, DC, Stipe

Bones, Tito, DC, Rashad,...

Should I keep going???

How many titles combined for Reem, Hunt, and CroCop?

Keep at it

But he couldn't finish him and gpt knocked out, what makes you so sure that wouldn't happen to Coleman?

Yea Lewis got saved by the bell and knocked out the 86 year old Oleinik in the next round. Not impressed considering he's a top 3 title contender.

Oleinic is great at submissions while Coleman was great at getting submitted. I fail to see any relevance beyond that. Coleman would be zero threat to Lewis on the ground, who has surprisingly good defense against subs and GnP. And Coleman's GnP degraded quickly as he aged and headbutts and 12/6 elbows were made illegal. Lewis knocked Oleinic cold and would certainly do the same to Coleman. I mean Pete Williams almost kicked Coleman's head off. C'mon.

We are talking about their ability to take Lewis down, dummy. Not their submission skills.

We are talking about their ability to take Lewis down, dummy. Not their submission skills.
So your whole point is that maybe, if he's lucky, 42-year old Coleman might take BB down like Oleinic did...only to get flatlined into another dimension as soon as they're back on their feet? Yeah, it's possible, but I think even Lewis can avoid those "I'm coming to get ya!" TDs you see a mile away. But even if happened, Lewis destroys him later.

Yea Lewis got saved by the bell and knocked out the 86 year old Oleinik in the next round. Not impressed considering he's a top 3 title contender.

What makes you sure Coleman would beat him though? I can see why you think he could have a path to victory, but I don't get why you think it's a sure thing.

So your whole point is that maybe, if he's lucky, 42-year old Coleman might take BB down like Oleinic did...only to get flatlined into another dimension as soon as they're back on their feet? Yeah, it's possible, but I think even Lewis can avoid those "I'm coming to get ya!" TDs you see a mile away. But even if happened, Lewis destroys him later.

Couldn't avoid them from oleinik, latifi or Ivanov. All weaker wrestlers than 42 year old coleman.

What makes you sure Coleman would beat him though? I can see why you think he could have a path to victory, but I don't get why you think it's a sure thing.

I didn't say Coleman would beat him I said Coleman COULD beat him. Keep up.

Blaydes is a better mma wrestler...way better. Also much larger

Regarding your first idiotic sentence...

UFC champs from High level ncaa backgrounds:

Coleman, Couture, Randleman, Brock, Cain, DC, Stipe

Bones, Tito, DC, Rashad,...

Should I keep going???

How many titles combined for Reem, Hunt, and CroCop?

Keep at it
Just off the top of my head in lighter weight classes: Frankie Edgar, Woodley, Usman (D2), Matt Hughes. There were also outstanding high school wrestlers like Sean Sherk and Cejudo who didn't wrestle in college but easily could have.

But a strong wrestling background won't help you in MMA ...or something.

Last edited:
He used Nog taking down Mirko in 2003 as a prove of how unstoppable Nog's TD were.

Well, that's just one year after the Wand fight.

You have an issue with my reference but you are all fine with his. Check that bias, mate.

Then I reference the way Kongo showed flaws in Mirko's grappling and doesnt serve you neither.
What can I tell you.

Personally, I think even the Yoshida fight in 2006 is not such a good sign of how to avoid grapping exchanges. Actually the opposite.

Mirko is not the pinnacle of TDD in MMA for me. No, its not. Never was. Some posters here pretend to sell the idea that "if fighter x took down Mirko....any modern fighter is getting taken down". Well, I dont agree, at all.

Its one year latter but that year clearly makes a significant difference, its a year were Mirko was focused strongly on MMA training where as really by the Wand/Saku fights MMA was still a sideline. You look at say the Herring fight and I think you can see he's made very significant changes.

Really when your talking about takedown defence as well like any other defence I think it depends rather on how aggerssive a fighter is, Mirko I think did tend to take risks in terms of not staying THAT distant to someone so he could land on them with power and also of course that he threw a lot of high powered kicks.

I would say were Mirko really shone was actually in countering double leg atempts, he had the speed to get his legs back in a sprall that very few fighters today try and atempt. To actually get hold of his legs at all was not nearly as easy were as a lot of modern fighters there defence is backing up to the cage to fight off the clinch and single legs.

Even someone like Bladyes who is capable of a good double leg shot I think holds back on them because ground control for him is more attrictional(trealistically he was never likely to sub someone like Lewis unless Derrick was already badly gassed or beaten up) , his cardio maybe isnt as good as Nogs and he's more afraid of getting reversed.

Last edited:
I didn't say Coleman would beat him I said Coleman COULD beat him. Keep up.
coleman was a completely one dimensional wrestler who would not be a big lhw in today's mma. and if he kept the same skills i'd guess wouldn't be a great lhw either (smith and williams would likely be lhw today. smith maybe mw). especially older coleman.

Back