News Gegard Mousasi says 'legacy is all bulls**t,' reveals Luke Rockhold fight was in the works

Shak_Fu

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hey Sherbros,

Gegard Mousasi mentioned y'all plenty during this interview. Thanks to everyone who submitted questions. You can click here for the written feature. You can watch the full video interview below (with timestamps).

Timestamps:
0:00
- Teaser
0:13
- Intro
0:48
- Many nicknames of "Dreamcatcher"
1:42
- Praise from Khabib Nurmagomedov
2:54
- Gegard Mousasi believing in his greatness
4:03
- Sherdog and online fans
4:33
- Shedding off calm demeanor
|5:17
- How the Internet changed MMA
6:23
- Hall of Fame and legacy
7:20
- Bellator contract and boxing Anderson Silva
8:45
- Yoel Romero, Johnny Eblen, Anatoly Tokov and Bellator MMA division
10:13
- Move to heavyweight
10:55
- Early life
13:30
- Business vs legacy
14:20
- Advice for young MMA fighters
14:36
- UFC departure and planned Luke Rockhold fight
15:58
- ADCC Championships
16:22
- Weird fans
17:08
- Satoshi Ishii
17:49 - Persian music and favorite food
21:39
- Next fight

Select quotes below (more in the article).

Gegard Mousasi on legacy:
"That legacy is all bullshit. These guys who say they fight for pride or honor or country -- if you don't pay a guy a penny, they're not going to fight. First of all, they need to get paid. Everybody fights for money, everybody.

"Don't get fooled by it. Everybody fights for money ... Young fighters are not that bright."

Gegard Mousasi on Rockhold fight:
"I think they had Luke Rockhold in mind. I think that was the fight that they wanted to make, but I knew what Jacare [Souza] was offered," Mousasi said. "They offered me much, much lower than Jacare. I said, 'I'm not going to sign that shit.' They lowballed me. On my first contract also, because I was coming off Strikeforce, I wasn't doing very well in UFC, they said, 'You sign it or you leave.' No negotiations. You sign or you leave.

"UFC can be hard in negotiations. People think it's all kisses and hugs. Believe me, they can be brutal. If they need you, Dana White will call you... If they don't need you, you're going to find out [online] that you've been released."

He's right ya know

Legacy on here is like flavor of the month

IMO Legacy is what fans discuss, shouldn't be what you aim for.
I do think he is one of the best ever, and think that if he fights the best fighters, his legacy will be that.
But you can't "protect" your legacy by avoiding dangerous fighters... that's building a fake legacy (and people do notice that shit).
Just take a look at how MMA fans beat on GSP for never fighting Silva, but jumping at the opportunity to fight Bisping for that belt... then run and try to fight Khabib for his belt...
That's what some fans put against GSP (note: GSP fans already thought him as GOAT, so this is not about them).

Gegard Mousasi on legacy:
"That legacy is all bullshit. These guys who say they fight for pride or honor or country -- if you don't pay a guy a penny, they're not going to fight. First of all, they need to get paid. Everybody fights for money, everybody.

"Don't get fooled by it. Everybody fights for money ... Young fighters are not that bright."
Sure Moose, but those two aren't mutually exclusive. Of course fighters need to make a living just like anyone else. But earning a living is easy. As soon as that's covered I'm sure a lot of fighters are definitely motivated by legacy.

Isn't it well known him and Luke were going to fight for the interim title?

Back