• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Do you remember Nam Phan? He's dealing with some bad CTE right now

Nams speech patterns sound so much like James Toney now. I'm not sure what has happened in the last 6 months to him but it's pretty apparent. I remember people were making posts about him a few years back about having CTE

Last edited:
Nams speech patterns sound so much like James Toney now. I'm not sure what has happened in the last 6 months for him but it's pretty apparent. I remember people were making posts about him a few years back about having CTE
Toney still sounds better than him

Speech patterns remind me of Justin Gaethje who also gets hit in the head a lot

Sounds like he had a stroke. Sad to see wish him the best

He's articulate in his words but yeah his enunciation has crashed hard.

That video of him talking about a boxing match... Was one month ago. Someone needs to tell him no.

You probably think Nate Diaz speaks well
Nate's been talking like that since TUF, Phan has something else going on. Not to be offensive, but he sounds mildly retarded between those two clips. That sucks poor guy.

That sucks man. His speech wasn’t all that great in the first video, but the second one was noticeably worse. He is an entertaining fighter and seems genuine. I hope it’s something he can work on over time.

Im sure hell be dealing with it a bit longer than just right now...

Not to stir the pot.
But calling this cte... has that been diagnosed?

I sound like that when I get cotton mouth, lose my voice the day before or am trying to catch my breath after running 10 miles.

IDK man.
It could be CTE too but we know he just ran 10 miles.

Just watch any of the recent vids on his channel.

This gets posted like every month, also really not that different, he just doesn't enunciate well
Absolutely objectively untrue. It’s extremely different. Maybe you have CTE lol

Thank god his last fight was in 2017.
He's fought since. Once with a troll who came into his gym. Nd probably still sparred a lot

If I had to speculate, I'd say those with CTE don't notice their decline. Look at Matt Hughes (although his CTE is from a train crash). His family have AVOs against him now.

And Cain.

And Rampage.

And Chuck.

It's a sad list to write.

Maybe it's CTE, maybe it isn't. I agree he sounds actually better in this video than other videos I've heard of him. If your evidence is literally just two videos where his speech has degraded somewhat in the later video, it is not enough evidence. There are other possible explanations for this change in speech patterns than CTE, but yes it COULD be CTE. But you have no basis to say he's dealing with 'some bad CTE right now'.

And you're whining on here every day. Do you enjoy being contrarian/always wrong? His voice sounds very different, and for anyone who actually saw his frequent screen time and interviews back in the day, his speech is slower, more slurred, more stuttering and filler-words . . . it's bad.
Yup. Just did some digging on Nam's past, and boy did that make things appear even worse for him...

It really sucks to even think about it, but I'd say it's likely that Nam was already suffering from a progressed form of CTE even back in the early 2010's, and what we're seeing/hearing in present time is a manifestation of the degenerative progress in the brain tissue accumulating closer and closer to a point of literal critical mass.

Shit, a lot of examples out there of even non-combat sport athletes (football, hand-egg, hockey etc.) as young as 16 having well-progressed forms of CTE revealed by postmortem brain autopsies.

Considering the above, I don't even want to imagine how bad the brains of some of the lifelong martial artists like Nam could potentially have it.
Dude has been involved in striking sports since he was 4 years old, started training BJJ + MMA at 16 and started competing professionally in MMA just two years later at 18yo.

He also competed in amateur boxing from 2004 and onward, had a few pro boxing bouts in 2006, while also taking pro MMA fights on the side without giving his brain any recovery time in between not just the matches themselves, but also in regards the training and sparring involved in both sports.
Returned to professional boxing in 2017 and went 0-4, finishing up his pro boxing career with a total record of 3-8-1.

That's a shit ton of sub-concussive blows to the head right there...

This has been covered over the years.

I remember people posting vids saying cte like 5 years ago.

Im sure hell be dealing with it a bit longer than just right now...
That's very likely to be the case, unless, of course, there's a sudden unforeseen breakthrough in terms of finding a treatment for the condition which is something we really can only hope for at this point.

The worst part about CTE is that, according to some preliminary studies, the degenerative progress in the brain tissue only seems to accelerate even after the brain no longer absorbs any further impacts, and if the impacts just keep on piling up, then well... It doesn't exactly take a career neurologist to presume that it only makes matters even worse.

He’s in bad shape now. Always sad to see guys end up like this.

Back