Russia/Ukraine Megathread V5

Status
Not open for further replies.
One from factories owned by Russian in Riga in 1940 th.
Kuznetsov porcelain and faience factory in Riga was founded in 1841 as the ST Kuznetsov factory (Russian: завод С. Т. Кузнецова), but the official date of establishment of the company in Russia was considered to be 1812, when the Old Believers in Kuznetsov in Moscow company. The Riga factory produced semi-earthenware, but from 1851 also porcelain pro
In 1935, the Latvian ambassador in Brussels presented the coffee set (according to Roman Suta's sketches) made in the Kuznetsov factory to the King of Belgium. In 1940, the factory was nationalized and renamed the Riga Ceramics Factory

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...mariupol-surrender-biden-to-visit-poland-live
The Guardian and The Wall Street Journal have now picked up the story of the Russian pro-government paper which reported almost 10.000 Russians KIA and 16.000 wounded. The statistic has apparently now been removed from the Russian paper.

If the numbers are true, then Russia is facing an unsustainable ratio of losses. They are closing on a 20% casualty rate in just 4 weeks of fighting. It's almost hard to believe. The Russians won't be able to mount any offense or even defend their positions without more manpower... and soon. How are they going to keep troops refreshed or rotate to a new offensive with losses like that? They'll have a challenge just defending supply lines: units might end up stuck in enemy territory with no way to rest or resupply, especially considering the Ukranians are going to be receiving more drones and manpads as the days go by.

I'd be stoked that the Ukranians are bloodying Putin's nose, but it makes me sad that so many young Russian men are dying in a senseless war. I have a son not much younger than some of these kids, damn.

Well look at that. It looks like the US numbers were closer to being accurate. Despite all the pro Putin cucks trying to claim otherwise.

I'm from somewhere in Europe.

I am not anti American, just pointing out the hypocrisy. When your country does it it's ok (assuming you are American), but when another country does it it's wrong. I hate double standards. The world should boycott America like they are boycotting Russia.
Embarrassed of your country?
Hell, I'll tell you my country, state, town I was born and city I currently live in...

A double standard requires, at least, a similar situation. So if in the future, we decide to "annex" part of Canada or Mexico because we don't like their new friends, then we can continue this portion of the conversation.

If it is hypersonic, where is the sonic boom?
Too slow. That seems to be the normal speed for an artillery shell or regular missile.

I am not familiar with the technology, but would it continue to sonic boom if it already was at that speed?

Well look at that. It looks like the US numbers were closer to being accurate. Despite all the pro Putin cucks trying to claim otherwise.

Yeah, US intelligence has been pretty spot on so far. They seem to have fairly reliable sources within both Ukraine and Russia. It's worth paying attention to their estimates.

Unfortunately, they are also estimating that Putin is still not interested in serious negotiations. Hope that changes soon.

You are not just "pointing out double standards" though. You are full-on pro-Russian and anti-Ukraine with little nuance.

I think a lot of people here would agree that the American invasion of Iraq was wrong... but a lot of you only seem to use that conflict as a fig leaf to defend Russia's conduct. But two wrongs don't make a right.

G.W. Bush was a fool led by criminals (aka Cheney and his gang). Putin is a war criminal all on his own.
Seriously... the "but but but America did it to Iraq too" bullcrap is outrageous. You'd be hardpressed to find any sensible American that doesn't think the second Iraq war was horrific and embarrassing. There were also many, many Americans who opposed it and that number only grew over time.

This whole justification is really telling. When someone makes it, I almost immediately lose all respect for any sentence or cogent thought that comes after it. It's also a tell as to that person's core values - they're likely a Russian bot, pro-Putin, pro-fascims or bizarrely and ignorantly anti-state with reckless regard.

To those out there making this argument... at least learn from the American people - that was is now looked at shamefully as the Bush admin consciously misled the public for years and years. Don't make the same mistake.

What Putin is essentially threatening to do at Mariupol at this juncture is commit a form of genocide: ultimatums of military tribunal for all remaining residents is likely Gulag or death sentence based on identity, heritage and nationality. It's a crime on many levels and frankly, not up for debate. The indiscriminant targeting that has become common and widely confirmed is appalling.

I am not anti American, just pointing out the hypocrisy. When your country does it it's ok (assuming you are American), but when another country does it it's wrong. I hate double standards. The world should boycott America like they are boycotting Russia.

Embarrassed of your country?
Hell, I'll tell you my country, state, town I was born and city I currently live in...

A double standard requires, at least, a similar situation. So if in the future, we decide to "annex" part of Canada or Mexico because we don't like their new friends, then we can continue this portion of the conversation.

My bet is he’s a Serb.

I am not familiar with the technology, but would it continue to sonic boom if it already was at that speed?
The sonic boom is the sound you hear after the object traveling faster than the speed of sound passes by. So as long as it travels at that speed, it will continue making the sonic boom.

This place turns into a warzone.

I love watching them argue with eachother, and team up on @Dexter, the Russian antagonist, occasionally.

Hollywood can't write this shit.
Just be grateful it isn't Americans on your border that your country needs to be wary of. :D

Seriously... the "but but but America did it to Iraq too" bullcrap is outrageous. You'd be hardpressed to find any sensible American that doesn't think the second Iraq war was horrific and embarrassing. There were also many, many Americans who opposed it and that number only grew over time.

This whole justification is really telling. When someone makes it, I almost immediately lose all respect for any sentence or cogent thought that comes after it. It's also a tell as to that person's core values - they're likely a Russian bot, pro-Putin, pro-fascims or bizarrely and ignorantly anti-state with reckless regard.

To those out there making this argument... at least learn from the American people - that was is now looked at shamefully as the Bush admin consciously misled the public for years and years. Don't make the same mistake.

What Putin is essentially threatening to do at Mariupol at this juncture is commit a form of genocide: ultimatums of military tribunal for all remaining residents is likely Gulag or death sentence based on identity, heritage and nationality. It's a crime on many levels and frankly, not up for debate. The indiscriminant targeting that has become common and widely confirmed is appalling.
You could have been against the war but US did not suffer for their genocides in places like Afghanistan. No sanctions and no consequences.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...mariupol-surrender-biden-to-visit-poland-live
The Guardian and The Wall Street Journal have now picked up the story of the Russian pro-government paper which reported almost 10.000 Russians KIA and 16.000 wounded. The statistic has apparently now been removed from the Russian paper.

If the numbers are true, then Russia is facing an unsustainable ratio of losses. They are closing on a 20% casualty rate in just 4 weeks of fighting. It's almost hard to believe. The Russians won't be able to mount any offense or even defend their positions without more manpower... and soon. How are they going to keep troops refreshed or rotate to a new offensive with losses like that? They'll have a challenge just defending supply lines: units might end up stuck in enemy territory with no way to rest or resupply, especially considering the Ukranians are going to be receiving more drones and manpads as the days go by.

I'd be stoked that the Ukranians are bloodying Putin's nose, but it makes me sad that so many young Russian men are dying in a senseless war. I have a son not much younger than some of these kids, damn.

Yeah... the clip of the Russian mom, wearing blue and yellow nails at the protest in Moscow showing pictures of her sone to a British reporting crew was just gut wrenching to watch. It lends credence to the recorded phone calls some young Russian soldiers have made home - all along the lines of "this is actually a war and it's terrible - we didn't know it was happening".

As for the losses. All of the Putin cheerleaders will probably continue to claim it's not fact. However, the confirmation of troop and equipment movement from the Far East across the ocean is pretty telling. And we haven't even really, truly entered urban warfare in the big cities yet. If the West can greatly up the flow of modern arms, especially air defences and the Ukrainian army, which was ~250k active with another ~200-250k in reserve, can swell in size (there are something like just under 7 million fit for service), the losses Russia is sustaining will be catastrophic, especially considering the financial damage.

Putin's clearly pissed about the sanctions - none of that bluster or about targeting arms entering Ukraine is him feigning weakness to nudge NATO into a strike - he's legitimately wounded. There's no logical game reason for him to feign weakness on that front.

I sense Dutch.

Mariupol residents forced to go to Russia against their will, city council says

"Over the past week, several thousand Mariupol residents have been taken to Russian territory. The occupiers illegally took people from the Livoberezhny district and from the shelter in the sports club building, where more than a thousand people (mostly women and children) were hiding from the constant bombing,” the statement read.

Captured Mariupol residents were taken to camps where Russian forces checked their phones and documents, the city council said, and then were redirected to remote Russian cities."

https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live...s-03-19-22/h_2e9c8826cd040f8dd4d8a21c5b3b6283

<WellThere>

You could have been against the war but US did not suffer for their genocides in places like Afghanistan. No sanctions and no consequences.

That's what being the sole superpower means unfortunately. No country has the means to sanction the U.S.

I guess we just fundamentaly differ here, which is fine. Your argument is, unless the suits are 100 % identical they cannot be compared and anybody arguing otherwise "sees red", whatever that means. I think your argument is infantile, because based on your standard, even if the suit are different in just one square centimeter they may not be compared and anybody doing that is a russian propagandist. Of course you are allowed to think that. It does not mean its not dishonest and infantile, but I am not going to forbid you from stating your argument that way.

No, you've misread. I said that the comparison is fine because the pictures clearly show that it's a common color scheme so there is no foundation to assume any political message. Since I've said that about that point there is no logical room to interpret it as that you can't compare them. So what I said that it's dumb to say that it's the exact same suit, when it's clearly not, as that just makes it all sound questionable despite that the basic point is correct.

No, their performance isn’t as good as it was in 2014, but they are not doing bad by Russian standards against a serious opponent. Most of their “embarrassments” are teething issues launching the biggest offensive in Europe in 80 years. Putin really should have gone all in in 2014 before Ukraine developed a serious military though.

Status
Not open for further replies.